3 people in a room, OV GUAR--but they assign to a room with only 2 beds...

stevexy

Of course you dont take it out on the cabin steward--but Carnival should expect and provide the ability to remove the bed. One concern--it may not just be about money--I wonder if Carnival has a policy that "punishes" any steward where there is an reduction in tips i.e Carnival assumes the customer was unhappy and assumes the steward did something wrong.

OR Carnival assumes the customer was a cheap, rude person.

I have to say that I agree with the OP (but not on the tip thing). If I book a room for three people, guarantee or not, I am going to assume that it will have 2 permanent beds and one in-room semi-permanent bed- whether a bunk or a sofa. A roll away, to me, is something used when additional accommodation is needed outside the typical allowance of the room.

I wonder if the OP is pulling everyone's leg??:confused:

If the OP has a guarantee OV room and doesn't know what room he's assigned to, how does he know WHAT the configuration is? How does he know he won't get a room with a sofa bed or with a pull down from the ceiling? Wouldn't he be making an assumption if he hasn't actually been ASSIGNED a specific room yet? He's gotten everyone all stirred up but it seems as if we haven't gotten all the information we should have. What ship is he sailing on? Does he know the cabin number? Can we confirm whether or not that particular cabin uses a rollaway for a third person?

Without more information we're all kind of shooting in the dark here aren't we? :confused:

I wonder if the OP is pulling everyone's leg??:confused:

If the OP has a guarantee OV room and doesn't know what room he's assigned to, how does he know WHAT the configuration is? How does he know he won't get a room with a sofa bed or with a pull down from the ceiling? Wouldn't he be making an assumption if he hasn't actually been ASSIGNED a specific room yet? He's gotten everyone all stirred up but it seems as if we haven't gotten all the information we should have. What ship is he sailing on? Does he know the cabin number? Can we confirm whether or not that particular cabin uses a rollaway for a third person?

Without more information we're all kind of shooting in the dark here aren't we? :confused:

From the OP in post#1: "I have an OV GUAR and was assigned to a room with only the 2 beds"

I have to say that I agree with the OP (but not on the tip thing). If I book a room for three people, guarantee or not, I am going to assume that it will have 2 permanent beds and one in-room semi-permanent bed- whether a bunk or a sofa. A roll away, to me, is something used when additional accommodation is needed outside the typical allowance of the room.

A large number of the cabins are designated for RAB (roll-away-bed) to accomodate the 3rd or 4th passenger. You can avoid these cabins by bookings that allow you to select your room; otherwise that's part of the "risk" of a Guarantee booking. Yours would be a bad assumption wrt Guarantee bookings. ken

I incorrectly booked a OV GUAR under the assumption that I could end up anywhere on the boat (except inside...) but would get a room with enough beds. I am used to dealing with HOTWIRE, where they have a GUAR room, could be anywhere but if you sign up for 3 people you get a room woth enough bed space for 3 people. In fact I ended up in a very nice suite at the Intercontinental last year since I paid for 4 people and HOTWIRE promised the number of beds. (But done forget you pay extra for telling HOTWIRE how many people you are booking for)( Note that Priceline is different--its for a room--so if I am travelling with 3 or 4 people dont book Priceline unless you are willing to end up on rollaway or the floor) Now, unlike Priceline, for a cruise you are paying per person, so I assumed (incorrectly as I now know) that I would get enough beds--and I am not including a shorter trundle or a rollaway)

After I got the room assignment-later I looked it up a found it didnt have a star by it, i.e. only 2 beds. What annoyed me is that they had listed as available for booking a room with a convertible sofa and they could have assigned me that room. I was told by my agent that I could chg to that room, and even though that room was just down the hall (literally maybe 10 cabins away--same exact 6B...) that Carnival would only allow the chg if I paid an extra approx 25% more for each of the 3 people for my cruise. I thought it was unccool to ask for the extra cash for the same class room. But Carnival's a business and they can do what they want--I didnt understand the "fine print" and that is the way it is.

So, lesson is that done book a GUAR if you are 3 people since you may end on a rollaway. Now--is this a huge deal--no--I got a great price for the cruise and how much time do you spend in an OV anyway (now, if I had a nice wraparound deck--might never leave the room...)

Here's the point--Carnival Corp could have put me in a 3 person room with 3 beds--was available--they deliberately put me in a 2 person room figuring I assume they could possible sell the 3 person room to someone for a higher amount. Perfectly within Carnival's rights to do that. However, since Carnival made the decision to do that, then I am going to ask the bed be removed every day. Now, if the only rooms available were 2 person rooms with a rollaway, then what choice would Carnival have, but here they made the choice to put me in a room with only 2 beds when they knew they didnt have to do that. Kind of poor customer service. It would be kind of like dropping off the car at the dealer and they give you a loaner. Now, say the only loaner available was an older car--fine you take it--its the best they can do and you appreciate that at least they had something available. But now think about the alternative--they have a perfectly fine loaner available, but they give you the older car anyway. If Carnival is going to make the decision to assign 2 bed rooms deliberately to 3 people, then for good customer service they need to have the ability to remove the bed everyday if the customer wants that.

Sounds like a typical brat that wants to go cheap and get the best!!!!!

For your mistake you want to punish the room steward?????

Yes--I would "punish" the cabin steward if it were easily possible to remove the bed and he didnt want to do it. Now, if it aint possible--then why would anyone punish the cabin steward?--that would be not nice. There might even be a carnival policy that says it cant be done. But as I said--if the bed comes from across the hall and can easily be moved--then move it. I dont know what is in the white space. If it cant be done--then it cant--and dont punish the steward. Note--I am a "discount cruiser" -- my goal is to travel as least expensively as possible but still maintain a reasonable level of comfort. Otherwise why would anyone not get at least a balcony. That said, as I noted before--I have never reduced the tipping on a cruise--these guys have a difficult job and are away from home etc. But back to original premise--if its easy to move the bed--I would like it moved.

I might be crazy and I possibly missed the post that said this but don't all the OV rooms have the couch in them?

Yes, they all have a couch, but only the ones marked have convertible sofas that are big enough to sleep a 3rd person. the others are just sofas. Not meant to be used as a bed.

So, lesson is that done book a GUAR if you are 3 people since you may end on a rollaway. Now--is this a huge deal--no--I got a great price for the cruise and how much time do you spend in an OV anyway

So if this is not a 'huge deal' then why was 4+ days spent 'talking' about your discontent? You booked for three passengers, and you're getting accommodations for three passengers.

Enjoy your cruise, stevexy. :cool:

Yes--I would "punish" the cabin steward if it were easily possible to remove the bed and he didnt want to do it.

While it may not be difficult to move the rollaway, it is outside the work that the cabin steward typically has to do. He already cleans the cabin, makes the beds, cleans the bathroom, etc. Moving the rollaway is extra, so if he moves it he should be tipped extra. If he balks at moving it, it's understandable to not tip over the standard amount - but pulling the tip entirely is just plain cheap and wrong. What about all the other work he did - he isn't being compensated adequately by Carnival by his wages alone - that's for sure. Like others have mentioned, the $10 per day isn't just for the steward, it is split between MDR staff and others.

Walking a tray of food from the galley to your stateroom isn't necessarily hard - but don't you tip for that?

I agree I would have thought booking a guarantee for 3 would mean you got 3 stationary beds of some sort. The cabin steward, however, has no say in how they place people in cabins - if you think their business practice is wrong then bring it up with someone who has authority over this decision. It isn't the cabin steward.

As for hotels not charging extra for an extra person - especially a child - I typically see extra charges for requiring extra beds. But even if they don't, this isn't like a hotel. Meals are included, so it would be more like comparing it to an AI - and for that there will be an extra charge even for a kid.

I incorrectly booked a OV GUAR under the assumption that I could end up anywhere on the boat (except inside...) but would get a room with enough beds. I am used to dealing with HOTWIRE, where they have a GUAR room, could be anywhere but if you sign up for 3 people you get a room woth enough bed space for 3 people. In fact I ended up in a very nice suite at the Intercontinental last year since I paid for 4 people and HOTWIRE promised the number of beds. (But done forget you pay extra for telling HOTWIRE how many people you are booking for)( Note that Priceline is different--its for a room--so if I am travelling with 3 or 4 people dont book Priceline unless you are willing to end up on rollaway or the floor) Now, unlike Priceline, for a cruise you are paying per person, so I assumed (incorrectly as I now know) that I would get enough beds--and I am not including a shorter trundle or a rollaway)

After I got the room assignment-later I looked it up a found it didnt have a star by it, i.e. only 2 beds. What annoyed me is that they had listed as available for booking a room with a convertible sofa and they could have assigned me that room. I was told by my agent that I could chg to that room, and even though that room was just down the hall (literally maybe 10 cabins away--same exact 6B...) that Carnival would only allow the chg if I paid an extra approx 25% more for each of the 3 people for my cruise. I thought it was unccool to ask for the extra cash for the same class room. But Carnival's a business and they can do what they want--I didnt understand the "fine print" and that is the way it is.

So, lesson is that done book a GUAR if you are 3 people since you may end on a rollaway. Now--is this a huge deal--no--I got a great price for the cruise and how much time do you spend in an OV anyway (now, if I had a nice wraparound deck--might never leave the room...)

It isn't just Carnival that changes for an upgrade. You learned something about cruising, reserve a specific cabin if you want a specific cabin. The cabin you got does sleep 3 with a rollaway. You got exactly what you paid for. A cheap cabin price.

You got exactly what you paid for, a cheaper cabin rate for taking pot luck...

I don't want to add to the Drama here but If I were booking a triple gty I would expect it to have 3 beds, not 2 beds with a roll away, especially if I were not a member of Cruise Critic where I have the opportunity to educate myself. I have read many negatives about the roll away and wouldnt be happy with that either.

I am sure most people think that when you book a GTY the only thing you are risking is the location of the cabin and not the # of beds... to me a roll away is more like camping and not a real bed...

That being said, its not the cabin stewards fault and I would'nt expect him/her to do something that is not part of their job without compensation.

I agree, he asked a simple question, and made a point that he thought booking a triple GTY meant he got three real beds. He's saying if the steward doesn't help him out by taking the bed out, then he sees the steward as not doing his job.

Anyway, I am wondering, I booked a room on the valor - a triple and it has the dot on it. Does that mean for sure it has three beds?

I agree, he asked a simple question, and made a point that he thought booking a triple GTY meant he got three real beds. He's saying if the steward doesn't help him out by taking the bed out, then he sees the steward as not doing his job.

Anyway, I am wondering, I booked a room on the valor - a triple and it has the dot on it. Does that mean for sure it has three beds?

You absolutely will not have a rollaway or a trundle bed, as these are only on ships from year 2000 and before. You will have regular beds.

You absolutely will not have a rollaway or a trundle bed, as these are only on ships from year 2000 and before. You will have regular beds.

Great, thanks. I did not book a gty as I like to know for sure what I am getting = was told it was 2 twins and an upper, and it even has the dot on the deck plan, but somehow this thread got me worried.

Great, thanks. I did not book a gty as I like to know for sure what I am getting = was told it was 2 twins and an upper, and it even has the dot on the deck plan, but somehow this thread got me worried.

these rollaways and extra beds/trundles are on the older ships that got grandfathered in, so allow 5 to a cabin. It has nothing to do with the size of the cabins, its has to do with what ships were in service when they stopped allowing 5 to book a cabin going forward on Carnival.

Archived