Mumbai/ Cochin information

blue manc

A few items.

If you fly to the Taj Mahal you need to do it through the cruise line. It will be a very long day and pricey but don't do it on your own if Mumbai is just a one day stop in between the cruise.

As to Taxis, you can take a taxi from the port to the downtown area of Cochin and be dropped off near the famous fish nets. From there you can walk to the palace and also walk into the downtown shops and other areas. And then take a taxi back.

In Mumbai you should do a tour. I would not just take a taxi and go out on your own until you get a lay of the city and understand where to go and where not to go. If you are not careful the taxi drivers in Mumbai will take you on a shopping spree. A good higlights tour is good. See if others on this board can give you a reputable independent guide. We used the ships tour. We've now been their multiple times so we are more familiar with what to expect. You need to be careful there as well. Remember around 6 million people live in poverty there.

Keith

Thanks Keith for the info. Change of topic we also are going to Goa, we will be docking at Murmugao, we would like to go to a beach approx. 15 minutes in a taxi, I have been looking at Varca Beach, is this feasible ?

Thanks Keith for the info. Change of topic we also are going to Goa, we will be docking at Murmugao, we would like to go to a beach approx. 15 minutes in a taxi, I have been looking at Varca Beach, is this feasible ?

We were in Goa earlier this year. We took a tour while we were there. I do remember there were lots of taxis at the pier so I don't see any problem in you making arrangements to have a taxi take you to the beach and to wait for you and then to take you back to the pier.

Keith

You can take a local boat from near the Gateway of India and visit these caves.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/india/elephanta-caves

for shopping for local artifacts go to the Cottage Industries Emporium nearby. And of course the now famous Taj Mahal Hotel is nearby too.

If you want a nice beach try Juhu Beach. The Blue cabs are aierconditioned.

Se if you can rent a Meru cab for an extended time period http://merucabs.com/

lots of good info at http://www.incredibleindia.org/index.html

Most of the nice beaches are owned by hotels. Goa has some old historic churches too. Look through my YouTube videos and you will find churches, beaches, temples, and conutryside.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DileepB#g/u

Most of the nice beaches are owned by hotels. Goa has some old historic churches too. Look through my YouTube videos and you will find churches, beaches, temples, and conutryside.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DileepB#g/u

Goa's old churches are indeed extraordinary. We were amazed at their size and architecture.

We thought the island was beautiful.

Not what one expects to see when thinking of India.

Keith

Week long conference in Cochin a few years ago and by far the best memory of India except the Taj (many trips) was the backwaters house boat cruise. I doubt the cruise line offers it or there is enough time, but if they do it is the most relaxing day I have ever spent.

We probably left the hotel in Cochin about 8-9AM by van for an hour, then cruise and lunch on the boat and back to the hotel by maybe 5......so maybe there would be time but only through the cruise line. Traffic can be horrendously slow at times.

Goa's old churches are indeed extraordinary. We were amazed at their size and architecture.

We thought the island was beautiful.

Not what one expects to see when thinking of India.

Keith

Are the churches in Goa open throughout the day? In particular the Se and Bom Jesus.

Thanks for any information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi-I don't mean to hijack this thread but just found out that SS has changed our itinerary. Porbandar, India is being replaced with Diu. I can't seem to find anything out about this place. Do either of you gentlemen know what there is to see and/or do in this port? Much appreciated, Shelly:)

Hi-I don't mean to hijack this thread but just found out that SS has changed our itinerary. Porbandar, India is being replaced with Diu. I can't seem to find anything out about this place. Do either of you gentlemen know what there is to see and/or do in this port? Much appreciated, Shelly:)

Also found this, hope it helps. Enjoy!!!

http://www.diutourism.com/diu.html

I can recommend Mumbai Magic for when you are in Mumbai. We had a wonderful day with an aircon 4x4, driver and guide. The car was equipped with soft drinks and lunch was included (you say what you want). You can either make up your own tour or take one of their recommended tours. We asked to see how the people of Mumbai lived and were therefore not taken to monuments or museums. It was fantastic but very very hot, so the aircon car was essential. If you like shopping, the area around Crawford market is a real Aladdin's cave and the prices there are not tourist prices, they are what the locals would pay.

Hi - in Mumbai I'd recommend taking the boat trip to Elephanta Island as already recommended. Catch the boat near the Gateway of India. The boat trip is nice and relaxing and the caves (World Heritage Site) are very interesting.

I would reccomend taking a tour to get a good feel for Mumbai. You'll have plenty of options of things to see/do. Check www.mumbaimagic.com.

If you do decide to go to Agra, I'd also suggest taking the cruise tour -

although more expensive to do it that way, you will definitely have less

hassle and more peace of mind as any number of things can keep you from

reaching back to the ship in time.

And oh, I wouldn't head to any beaches in Mumbai - at least not to swim!!

And if you are shopping make sure to bargain. Ha, ha, it is unlikely that you'll be charged the same as the locals unless you are shopping with a local!! A good place to shop with fixed prices is Cottage Emporium - huge selection of various Indian crafts, brass, pottery, etc. Store is not to far from Gateway of India (across from Leopold's - a famous foreigner's hangout). All along the street across from Cottage Emporium are stalls/stores where shopping can be fun - but bargain!

Have a great cruise!

Archived