Pacific Pearl Dome

Drelix

The pacific jewel the dome is a Aqua HealthSpaFitness and Fitness Suite and Gym and the Attic.

The paficic dawn the dome is a night club come function room and a great room to sit and have drinkes or read or relaxe in the day time as you can see out all windows and sit in nice seats, all very good I think any way.

I'll take you some pics in a couple of weeks time when I'm onboard.

There is a wrap-around outside deck so you don't look down to the sea from the windows. You can walk out and around..

The front is raised and houses the Gym kit. The rear houses the bar/plasma Tvs etc. the side have seated areas, sofas and tables and then the centre is sunken dance floor with lighting rig and dj booth.

I'll take you some pics in a couple of weeks time when I'm onboard.

There is a wrap-around outside deck so you don't look down to the sea from the windows. You can walk out and around..

The front is raised and houses the Gym kit. The rear houses the bar/plasma Tvs etc. the side have seated areas, sofas and tables and then the centre is sunken dance floor with lighting rig and dj booth.

That would be great if you can do that.

I am aware of this theid i just want to see photos of the pacific pearl/ov1 photos of what there dome looks like. :)

Hi Drelix,

The Pacific pearl is the old Arcadia built 1987 .....it doesnt have a dome .

Col

Hi Drelix,

The Pacific pearl is the old Arcadia built 1987 .....it doesnt have a dome .

Col

It's not like the Dome on the Pacific Dawn, but it IS called the Dome in the latest P&O brochure. As shown, it's a largish room and you can walk around it on the open deck. This would be a great viewing area. Captain Box (on our recent P Dawn cruise) said it is a very popular ship with this large entertainment area.

It's not like the Dome on the Pacific Dawn, but it IS called the Dome in the latest P&O brochure. As shown, it's a largish room and you can walk around it on the open deck. This would be a great viewing area. Captain Box (on our recent P Dawn cruise) said it is a very popular ship with this large entertainment area.

The only problem with that area as a Crows nest is that folk take up window seats when scenic cruising, then moan and groan because people came and stood in front of them on the deck, and they couldn't see anything from inside.

Apart from that its a fabulous area. When we were on it as Arcadia, enjoyed many a late night show up there, in the Night Club.

Forgot to say the spa/gym is going down to Deck 2 where it is on the Pacific Dawn.

Please please let you be right on this one.I would hate to think P&O are going to stuff this one up like they did on the Pacific Jewel.As far as I can make out the Jewel does not have a decent forward looking area like the Pacific Dawn does. :)

As Sandy said the area thats now the Bayside Bar is to be the 'Dome' when she transforms into the Pacific Pearl. this area was also a panoramic lounge which was called the 'Horizon Lounge' when she was Arcadia. Iv'e never seen a deck plan of her as Fair Majesty but apparently it was to be called the 'Dome' and assume that this panoramic crows nest type bar was to be included on all the ships that been designed for Sitmar at the time. It seems that the Pacific Jewel was also originally intended to have a 'Dome'.

Please please let you be right on this one.I would hate to think P&O are going to stuff this one up like they did on the Pacific Jewel.As far as I can make out the Jewel does not have a decent forward looking area like the Pacific Dawn does. :)

P & O didn't "stuff up" the Pacific Jewel - it was done long before they got the ship. Converting the dome into a spa area was a massive job that even involved cutting through the deck and converting the space on deck 12 that had been used as officers' cabins into part of the spa. I can't see them changing it back to how it was because of the expense involved.

I agree with your sentiment that the area would have been better left as a dome-entertainment area.

It is such a shame...

For those that may not know those two ships were way ahead of their time when they were built.

Famed architect Renzo Piano designed them to look like giant dolphins on the sea, and his superstructure work with the curved section which created the domes , was groundbreaking work at the time.

I wonder what he must think now?

Either bitterly disappointed

or roaring with laughter?

Just to clear up some confusion. Jewel and Pearl are NOT sister ships. Whilst the layout is roughly the same the Pearl is French designed and built whereas the Italian Architect designed the Dolphin shaped Jewel and the Sun/Dawn (can't remember which one).

The SPA on Jewel was done for the German market (who like their Sauna's etc..) and like has been said was Millions of pounds and major re-fit. When it became OV2 this was a disappointment as no Nightclub/dome area, not even the attic! as that was the Teens area.

OV1 (Pearl) has two Gyms, one in Bayside on deck 14 and one on deck 2 next to the Spa. The floor by the windows is slightly raised by 2-3 foot above the outside deck wrap-around so it is possible for people to stand inside and see above heads outside but not sit inside and see if people are standing on the outside.

During sail-in or sail-aways am/pm the outside deck in front of Bayside is packed with people. Also the main bow deck which is enclosed and hidden from site on most ships is open on Pearl so you can see the anchor winches and ropes with the crew running around.

Just to clear up some confusion. Jewel and Pearl are NOT sister ships. Whilst the layout is roughly the same the Pearl is French designed and built whereas the Italian Architect designed the Dolphin shaped Jewel and the Sun/Dawn (can't remember which one).

In the mid 1980's , Sitmar Cruises planned and commenced construction of 3 new cruise ships. Building of the first, to be called Fairmajesty, commenced in 1986 in France, and construction of the 2nd & 3rd (unnamed) ships commenced in 1987/88 in Italy.

In 1988 Sitmar was sold to P&O Princess; the sale including the four ships in service (Fairsky, Fairstar, Fairwind and Fairsea) and the 3 ships underconstruction; Fairmajesty in France and the two as yet un-named ships in Italy.

Fairmajesty, when completed was launched as Star Princess, then went to P&O UK as Aracdia, then to Ocean Village as Ocean Village and now to P&O Australia as Pacific Pearl

The two other ships were launched as Crown Princess and Regal Princess, which went on to become Pacific Jewel (Crown) and Pacific Dawn (Regal).

So Pacific Dawn and Pacific Jewel are "twin sisters" (who go out of their way to look different) and Pacific Pearl is their older 1/2 sister.

I expect that Pacific Pearl will have a lot in common with Sitmar's previous newbuild, Fairsky (Pacific Sky) as Fairmajesty was the next step in the evolution of Sitmar cruise ships.

Single Cruiser.

I been on the jewel and will put a video up for it prob by this weekend keep getting distracted so you can see what they have done.

Do you have any photos of the pearl front deck dome area?

Yes, half-sisters.. Whilst some structure differences are obvious. The cut-away lifeboat bits and wrap-around deck in front of the dome there are lots of other smaller bits..

On Deck 12/14 the extra deck-space on deck 14 rather than Dawn/Jewel's open plan.

Entry to the open decks 12/14 can be access from all 3 stairwells on Jewel, on the Pearl there is no access from the central stairwell (no steps up by the pool), the only way is from the front stairs or through the Plantations restaurant from the rear stairwell.

On the Pearl deck 7 Promonade deck extends alongside the side of the Marquee, a nice little hideaway to stand and watch the world go by..

Aft open decks on Pearl are all bigger than the Jewel. On the lower aft decks of Jewel deck 8/9 are just cut-outs in the gunwall, on Pearl these are big decks, also means on deck 12 behind Plantations is lots more open space and more tables to eat at..

On the Engine plant front they are totally different..

Pearl has 4 Engines but only one stern thruster whereas Jewel has only two engines but has two stern thrusters. Pearl is therefore 10% Faster Top speed but has more trouble in some difficult ports manouvering. the Captain said he wanted a 2nd stern thruster and they had asked at previous dry docks but rejected! so will be interesting if in the upcoming refit she finally gets one!!

Archived