Livorno - half day TuscanyTour??

Andyp95

Afternoon,

I am docking in Livorno as part of my Med cruise. As this follows a day in Rome, I am not keen on another full day of being in a car / city so was looking for a half day ride into Tuscany with some wine stops / shopping and then returning to the ship for early afternoon.

Does anyone know what the best way of achievening this? I have looked for private tours, but they seem to be full days. I wasnt sure if I could haggle with a local taxi driver for such a tour or if there was another way of doing it.

Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

We did something similar. Asked for a 6 hour tour instead of a full day. Went to Tarquinia and Tuscania, stopped for a quick lunch and had a wonderful day. There were only 4 of us in a minivan. Our tour guide, Pepe, was wonderful. We used All Around Italy.

We did something similar. Asked for a 6 hour tour instead of a full day. Went to Tarquinia and Tuscania, stopped for a quick lunch and had a wonderful day. There were only 4 of us in a minivan. Our tour guide, Pepe, was wonderful. We used All Around Italy.

You went to Tarquinia and Tuscania from Livorno?

Afternoon,

I am docking in Livorno as part of my Med cruise. As this follows a day in Rome, I am not keen on another full day of being in a car / city so was looking for a half day ride into Tuscany with some wine stops / shopping and then returning to the ship for early afternoon.

Does anyone know what the best way of achievening this? I have looked for private tours, but they seem to be full days. I wasnt sure if I could haggle with a local taxi driver for such a tour or if there was another way of doing it.

Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

We did Naples/Rome/Livorno back to back to back. Sure, it's tiring. But I wouldn't trade in my full days in these ports for anything. If you haven't been to Florence or Pisa before, a private tour might be worth it. We used Papillon Tours and spent 90 minutes in Pisa, three hours in Florence, and did a trip to a winery in the Tuscan countryside. In Florence, we did an hour at the Accademy to see the David along with some other great sculptures and art work. Yes, we skipped the Uffizi. You can't see everything. I would hate to think that someone would skip Florence when going to this port unless they have spent considerable time there before. I guess if you insist on doing a tour of vineyards, there are tour companies out there that will work with you. Good luck.

I have the same question as the OP. There are just the two of us, DW and myself. Can you get this type of tour (for two) by bargaining with a taxi driver? If so, aproximately how much would it cost? Has anyone done this?

You can get a ride, not a tour, from a taxi driver. Don't expect much in the way of conversation or information - if you get it, consider it a bonus.

Taxis will be waiting at the ship when you disembark, looking for fares. Their ideal is a full day, so if you are one of the first off the ship, you may not find much interest.

However, if you wait until the first rush has gone, you may find drivers happy to get a half day fare vs. none at all. Be sure to agree on the price before you get in the cab.

I'm also looking for a private tour for my wife and I that will drive by Pisa, maybe a very short stop, and then go into the Tuscan countryside. When is your cruise, Andy? We dock on Oct. 16. I did contact Fabrizio of AllaroundItaly, but he was not very responsive to my comments that I did not want to go to Florence. And the 450 E he quoted me for the two of us for 6 hours seemed somewhat high. If someone has some other suggestions or ideas I am open.

I'm also looking for a private tour for my wife and I that will drive by Pisa, maybe a very short stop, and then go into the Tuscan countryside. When is your cruise, Andy? We dock on Oct. 16. I did contact Fabrizio of AllaroundItaly, but he was not very responsive to my comments that I did not want to go to Florence. And the 450 E he quoted me for the two of us for 6 hours seemed somewhat high. If someone has some other suggestions or ideas I am open.

Thanks Larry - we (5 in total) are there Aug 28th I think (Grand Princess) - I have just had a quote for 5-6 hours private tour for 330e - including wine tour & tasting so not too bad. Am seriously considering that option.

We have also been looking for something similiar. Its only two of us and we don't want a full day. Just want to experience a nice lunch and tour of a local winery. Please let me know if you find anything. Trying to find if this is even feasible. We don't want to spend the cost of a full tour.

We have also been looking for something similiar. Its only two of us and we don't want a full day. Just want to experience a nice lunch and tour of a local winery. Please let me know if you find anything. Trying to find if this is even feasible. We don't want to spend the cost of a full tour.

Hi Funtravelor,

I have had a quote of 330e for a 5-6hour tour so am seriously considering that. For 5people I think that the ship excursions are a litle pricey. For this price we are getting most of the day in the country, visiting a couple of Tuscan towns, including wine tour + tasting. I have also asked for a fly-by in Pisa as the kids want to see the tower! The company is Sunflower Tours and I have checked & they have good reviews so probably going to reserve!

Thanks

I do not think I would trust a tour to a taxi driver-too big a risk if he/she ends up to be just a taxi driver and not speak good enough English. if you want a tour then either hire a tour guide privately or book a ships tour. Or you could rent a car, do the research and do it on your own. We have driven all over in Tuscany and if you stay out of/away from the larger cities (primarily because parking is so difficult) then it really is quite easy and fun!

Hi Funtravelor,

I have had a quote of 330e for a 5-6hour tour so am seriously considering that. For 5people I think that the ship excursions are a litle pricey. For this price we are getting most of the day in the country, visiting a couple of Tuscan towns, including wine tour + tasting. I have also asked for a fly-by in Pisa as the kids want to see the tower! The company is Sunflower Tours and I have checked & they have good reviews so probably going to reserve!

Thanks

Thanks, that sounds like what we are looking for. I will look into this. It sounds like it makes better since financially, however, if you can get more people to joing the group.

Archived