Which cruise line do you think is the most similar to Royal Caribbean?

Which cruise line do you think is the most similar to Royal Caribbean?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise line do you think is the most similar to Royal Caribbean?

• Carnival Cruise Line
    • Celebrity Cruises
    • Costa Cruises
    • Holland America Line
    • MSC Cruises
    • Norwegian Cruise Line
    • P&O Cruises
    • Princess Cruises
    • Other (please post which line)

WOW! I'm kind of surprised to see that Princess Cruises is in the lead! :eek: I'm also somewhat surprised that Celebrity doesn't have that many votes compared to the total vote count.

On a side note: My list of cruise lines on the first post is in alphabetical order, not in order of which cruise line I think is most similar to RCCL.

WOW! I'm kind of surprised to see that Princess Cruises is in the lead! :eek: I'm also somewhat surprised that Celebrity doesn't have that many votes compared to the total vote count.

On a side note: My list of cruise lines on the first post is in alphabetical order, not in order of which cruise line I think is most similar to RCCL.

But Celebrity is meant to be a cut above RCI - so who would say it is comparable? It's not meant to be and is a different type of cruise entirely. Why are you surprised?

I don't think the order the list is in makes a difference to whether you think any of the lines are similar to RCCL. As I've only experience recently of RCCL I can't vote though I'm interested to see that when you vote in one of these polls your name comes up in the results.

You are correct, and I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part.

Ginnie

My family and I have only cruised RCL with the exception of one Disney cruise. We LOVED Disney but we can't afford to go back! Softdrinks were free, movie theater was awesome(with current movies), decor was awesome and dining was amazing with the changing dining rooms. You have to cruise with Disney at least once in your life!!:D

Kari

RCCL is the new Carnival.

With rock climbing, wave pool, ect you now get the younger rowdy crowd on RCCL.

Carnival is no longer the fun ships, RCCL is now the fun ships.

Both Carnival and RCI are geared to family vacations. That is the similarity. The difference is that they are building different types of ships. We are doing a family Med cruise on the Carnival Magic next year. The Magic looks fun to me. We have an Allure cruise booked the following Spring.

I have cruised most of them...

And, IMHO, the poll is worthless...Here's why:

First of all, ALL cruiselines do a lot of the same thing: Take you on an itinerary, feed you, provide you with shows and entertaiment and have amenities like bars, pools, jacuzzis, buffet, spa...

That established, ALL cruise lines are similar...

Past there, EACH cruise line has ways in which they differentiate themselves from the others...But they are all different areas of operation...

...and here we have a poll asking for a value judgment with no set standard or criteria from which to make that judgment...

So...which is most similar? In which respect? Demographics? Operations? Food? Service? Amenities?

Is any VERY similar (other than the obvious that they are all similar)?

Well..If you look only in terms of "operations", then Celebrity is clearly the most similar...they are run by the same company...a lot of the embellishments in operations or sales or packaging they come up with for one company, they use for the other...The Captains Club/Crown & Anchor, for example, are set up the same way and a lot of the benefits are similar...You can book a Celebrity cruise on RCI and vice versa...

But Celebrity does target a slightly different market...

So, if you are comparing target market and age group demographics, perhaps Carnival is more similar...After all, they both target families with children and entry level into the cruise market...

But, as we all know, Carnival is a far inferior product...

Disney is another one that targets families...and, at least has amenities that are somewhat comparable...though nothing really matches RC's youth targeted sports amenities...

Is NCL similar? Not in the least...they go after a completely different target market in terms of theory of operation...But, in other terms, maybe they could be comparable...

Princess? Sure, they also target a middle market...But their emphasis and amenities are different...

Look, best you can say, really are that ALL the cruise lines are similar...AND different...

If you are a regular Royal Caribbean cruiser and want to try another line, I would suggest you can't really look for another line to be similar...Pick one for its differences instead...Say you no longer fit the demographic for ice skating and sutrfing and rock climbing--say your kids are grown and no longer accompany you...try Celebrity...You'll get a more adult experience with a less crowded ship but with upgraded food and service and a lot of the operational details you may have enjoyed on Royal Caribbean...Say you used to cruise RCI as younger adults without kids but now you have small children? Maybe try Disney...Maybe your income has increased and you can afford a lot more and want a smaller more elegant ship and to get away from the crowds? Try Azamara or Oceania...

But try these for the DIFFERENCES not the similarities...

I have cruised most of them...

And, IMHO, the poll is worthless...Here's why:

First of all, ALL cruiselines do a lot of the same thing: Take you on an itinerary, feed you, provide you with shows and entertaiment and have amenities like bars, pools, jacuzzis, buffet, spa...

That established, ALL cruise lines are similar...

Past there, EACH cruise line has ways in which they differentiate themselves from the others...But they are all different areas of operation...

...and here we have a poll asking for a value judgment with no set standard or criteria from which to make that judgment...

So...which is most similar? In which respect? Demographics? Operations? Food? Service? Amenities?

Is any VERY similar (other than the obvious that they are all similar)?

Well..If you look only in terms of "operations", then Celebrity is clearly the most similar...they are run by the same company...a lot of the embellishments in operations or sales or packaging they come up with for one company, they use for the other...The Captains Club/Crown & Anchor, for example, are set up the same way and a lot of the benefits are similar...You can book a Celebrity cruise on RCI and vice versa...

But Celebrity does target a slightly different market...

So, if you are comparing target market and age group demographics, perhaps Carnival is more similar...After all, they both target families with children and entry level into the cruise market...

But, as we all know, Carnival is a far inferior product...

Disney is another one that targets families...and, at least has amenities that are somewhat comparable...though nothing really matches RC's youth targeted sports amenities...

Is NCL similar? Not in the least...they go after a completely different target market in terms of theory of operation...But, in other terms, maybe they could be comparable...

Princess? Sure, they also target a middle market...But their emphasis and amenities are different...

Look, best you can say, really are that ALL the cruise lines are similar...AND different...

If you are a regular Royal Caribbean cruiser and want to try another line, I would suggest you can't really look for another line to be similar...Pick one for its differences instead...Say you no longer fit the demographic for ice skating and sutrfing and rock climbing--say your kids are grown and no longer accompany you...try Celebrity...You'll get a more adult experience with a less crowded ship but with upgraded food and service and a lot of the operational details you may have enjoyed on Royal Caribbean...Say you used to cruise RCI as younger adults without kids but now you have small children? Maybe try Disney...Maybe your income has increased and you can afford a lot more and want a smaller more elegant ship and to get away from the crowds? Try Azamara or Oceania...

But try these for the DIFFERENCES not the similarities...

agree that polls are subject but most people think that Carnival is not far inferior to RCCL but you are entitled to your opinion.I think Carnival is a quarter step down and Princess is a 1/2 step up.I also believe that RCCL lover will pick the next line up as the most similiar which is why Princess to no surprise is leading this poll.Its kinda like the Old Chevy vs Ford arguments.Lovers of both cars liked to trash the other when in fact they are almost like.Same thing Carnival vs RCCL

:cj

Archived