Compagnie Du Ponant

Hobar

We are booked for L'Austral 1/20/12. TA has told us that since the transaction is based in Miami, no conversion charges, but we shall see! The more we look at this ship and the sister ship Le Boreal, the more interesting everything looks.

Hi,

I am leaving next week to join Le Boreal for the holiday cruise to Antarctica.

It is an A&K charter and I booked through their Australian office. It is certainly an expensive cruise by any standard but, naturally, I am hoping that it will be worth it.

I'll post my comments here once I return.

Wayne

Hi,

It is an A&K charter and I booked through their Australian office. It is certainly an expensive cruise by any standard but, naturally, I am hoping that it will be worth it.

Wayne

Thank you very much. Will be looking for your report. Have a Merry Christmas in Antarctica.

B

Hi,

Wayne

I'll echo bellebaby. Have a wonderful cruise and a Very Penguin Christmas. We'll look forward to the review when you get back.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Have you decided to book?

B

We are still looking at dates, but I am pretty sure the December 1 or December 11 departures don't work for our schedules. I really like the December fares, but at this point we will probably end up on the January 20th sailing with Ed and Cathy. If so, we could probaly start the first L'Austral Roll Call!

We are still looking at dates, but I am pretty sure the December 1 or December 11 departures don't work for our schedules. I really like the December fares, but at this point we will probably end up on the January 20th sailing with Ed and Cathy. If so, we could probaly start the first L'Austral Roll Call!

I understand about December commitments. We'll make it home in time to celebrate Christmas.

I thought about the first sailing over Thanksgiving in November, but decided the weather might not be as good.

My TA did confirm Ponant processes through a bank in Miami.. no foreign currency conversion fees.

She has not personally booked Ponant, but other agents in the agency have. All positive feedback except a Silversea regular. Did not feel it was as luxurious as Silversea.

B

I understand about December commitments. We'll make it home in time to celebrate Christmas.

I thought about the first sailing over Thanksgiving in November, but decided the weather might not be as good.

My TA did confirm Ponant processes through a bank in Miami.. no foreign currency conversion fees.

She has not personally booked Ponant, but other agents in the agency have. All positive feedback except a Silversea regular. Did not feel it was as luxurious as Silversea.

B

It looks like we might be shipmates. Turns out the December 11th date does work for us (like those December fares!) and our TA has a call in to book. With this timely reminder of the perils of the Drake, we are keeping our fingers crossed that we get the mid-ship location we are looking for. We'll keep you informed.

B

We will indeed be sailing with you almost a year from today. We did get the mid-ship location we wanted and are ready to start planning.

It looks like we might be shipmates. Turns out the December 11th date does work for us (like those December fares!) and our TA has a call in to book. With this timely reminder of the perils of the Drake, we are keeping our fingers crossed that we get the mid-ship location we are looking for. We'll keep you informed.

Sounds good! We're in for December 11th. Yes, the fares are enticing! Keep me posted regarding your booking.

B

We will indded be sailing with you almost a year from today. We did get the mid-ship location we wanted and are ready to start planning.

We must have been posting at the same time.

We are very excited about this cruise. It will be quite an adventure. After seeing some of the recent video, I'm a little apprehensive, but as they say... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

B

Add us to the party. With a little maneuvering we were able to rearrange our December schedule and will also be on the 12/11 sailing. Same here--the price difference was too enticing to pass up...plus, one less month to wait! We are midships deck 3.

Ed and Cathy

Add us to the party. With a little maneuvering we were able to rearrange our December schedule and will also be on the 12/11 sailing. Same here--the price difference was too enticing to pass up...plus, one less month to wait! We are midships deck 3.

Ed and Cathy

We are mid-ships on deck 3 as well. The non-balcony cabins were excellent, but with the Drake, we thought they were just too far forward. The extra money for the balcony we may not set foot on made good sense for less "rock and roll"

We must have been posting at the same time.

We are very excited about this cruise. It will be quite an adventure. After seeing some of the recent video, I'm a little apprehensive, but as they say... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

B

We have quite the early Roll Call started. Wow, only a year to go - LOL!

We are mid-ships on deck 3 as well. The non-balcony cabins were excellent, but with the Drake, we thought they were just too far forward. The extra money for the balcony we may not set foot on made good sense for less "rock and roll"

That was our thinking, too. And, we may have the bonus of using the balcony a bit when we are in the peninsula!

Ed and Cathy

Well, well! Glad you can join us. We originally looked at Jan. 20 as our anniversary would be during the cruise. Couldn't resist the December 11 pricing.

Purchased insurance today, so that's done. Will try to use FF miles for the flight to EZE. It's still a little over a month until flights are available. Our miles are Star Alliance, so we'll be on Continental, United or Air Canada.

We booked a cabin a little forward of mid-ship on Deck 5.

Should we start an "official" roll call so we can plan together over the next year?

Mary (and Tom)

Well, well! Glad you can join us. We originally looked at Jan. 20 as our anniversary would be during the cruise. Couldn't resist the December 11 pricing.

Purchased insurance today, so that's done. Will try to use FF miles for the flight to EZE. It's still a little over a month until flights are available. Our miles are Star Alliance, so we'll be on Continental, United or Air Canada.

We booked a cabin a little forward of mid-ship on Deck 5.

Should we start an "official" roll call so we can plan together over the next year?

Mary (and Tom)

An "official" roll call sounds like a good idea. We are Michael and Debbie.

Insurance is booked and we will have to pay for these flights (darn it!) since the last of the miles went last year for an Arctic cruise on the PA II (highly recommended) and an upcoming Galapagos cruise in May. The PA II cruise hooked us on expedition cruising.

Our TA said there are 2 BA airports - an international and a domestic. We plan a couple of nights in BA and perhaps a night in Ushuaia to avoid travel delays and see Tierra del Fuego National Park. According to her, we would arrive at the international airport and fly out of the domestic on the BA-Ushuaia leg. She said that there is a Ushuaia-BA flight back that will connect to a BA-US overnight flight at ther same airort. As you said, the U.S. booking window is not open yet, but I will look at the LAN and Argentine Airlines sites. For the Arctic last year, I could book directly with SAS directly before the 330 day window opened.

That was our thinking, too. And, we may have the bonus of using the balcony a bit when we are in the peninsula!

Just stepping out with a hot cup of coffee would be wonderful. If not, the deck to overhead doors will let in a lot of light.

An "official" roll call sounds like a good idea. We are Michael and Debbie.

Insurance is booked and we will have to pay for these flights (darn it!) since the last of the miles went last year for an Arctic cruise on the PA II (highly recommended) and an upcoming Galapagos cruise in May. The PA II cruise hooked us on expedition cruising.

Our TA said there are 2 BA airports - an international and a domestic. We plan a couple of nights in BA and perhaps a night in Ushuaia to avoid travel delays and see Tierra del Fuego National Park. According to her, we would arrive at the international airport and fly out of the domestic on the BA-Ushuaia leg. She said that there is a Ushuaia-BA flight back that will connect to a BA-US overnight flight at ther same airort. As you said, the U.S. booking window is not open yet, but I will look at the LAN and Argentine Airlines sites. For the Arctic last year, I could book directly with SAS directly before the 330 day window opened.

Good Morning. I started the Roll Call ... We can take-up planning discussions on that thread. See you there!

Mary

Hi,

Wayne

If this is Wayne from Gowanbrae hello - I will be on the cruise also.

See you on board.

Holly

What a beautiful modern ship design, with highly effective stabilizers too. Perhaps that's why we were so terribly disappointed with the erratic food and service quality aboard Le Boreal on a December 2010 cruise to the Antarctic (an A&K Charter). I've been on 20 cruises, from lower quality megaships (Royal Caribbean) to small luxury vessels (Sea Goddess, Seabourn) and the food on Le Boreal ranks at the bottom -- in quality of ingredients, variety of offerings, food temperature, sanitary practices of servers, flexibility of the kitchen, repetitious standard wines, and limited serving hours (both dining room and room service).

Perhaps the quality was better when the ship launched, before corporate cut-backs took effect. I split my time between France & Canada, and understand the language, culture and cuisine of both countries. In my opinion they've stripped the French savoir faire out of this ship.

What a beautiful modern ship design, with highly effective stabilizers too. Perhaps that's why we were so terribly disappointed with the erratic food and service quality aboard Le Boreal on a December 2010 cruise to the Antarctic (an A&K Charter). I've been on 20 cruises, from lower quality megaships (Royal Caribbean) to small luxury vessels (Sea Goddess, Seabourn) and the food on Le Boreal ranks at the bottom -- in quality of ingredients, variety of offerings, food temperature, sanitary practices of servers, flexibility of the kitchen, repetitious standard wines, and limited serving hours (both dining room and room service).

Perhaps the quality was better when the ship launched, before corporate cut-backs took effect. I split my time between France & Canada, and understand the language, culture and cuisine of both countries. In my opinion they've stripped the French savoir faire out of this ship.

Wow.. So sorry you didn't enjoy the food. Can you give any detail regarding what a typical menu was like on a daily basis?

Thanks.

B

Given the price difference with the PA II - something had to give.....

Archived