Compagnie Du Ponant

Hobar

Compagnie Du Ponant: My cruise agent just told us about this new cruise line. Seems to be on par with Seabourn and Silversea. Anyone know anything about it? Not sure if it's all inclusive like SB and SS, but they are small ships, and not sure if they will be dominated by French passengers.

We have sailed on two of this company's ships on Tauck tours. We took Le Ponant along the Amalfi Coast down Sicily and on to Malta. Because the ship is a three-masted schooner and it was our first small ship cruise, we found it very exciting. The crew was wonderful and the food was the best we have ever had on a ship. The cabin was not large but was very well-designed. We also really enjoyed the ports of call.

While we were on this cruise, we had the opportunity to visit one of its sister ships, Le Levant, which is a yacht. It looked so nice that we took a Tauck cruise on it through the Panama Canal and on to Costa Rica. Again the service was excellent. The food was also better than we have had with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean, although I don't think we will ever again encounter meals as good as we had on Le Ponant, unless we get the same chef (but they rotate). The cabins were slightly larger than on Le Ponant.

Because these are small ships and we booked itineraries through Tauck, there were no French passengers. The crew's officers are mainly French but are multi-lingual. Tauck had two cruise directors on each ship.

Also because these are small ships, there is limited entertainment. However, each ship had a very nice lounge with a pianist, and the Tauck cruise directors and ship's crew did offer some game nights and small dance parties.

We now plan to sail on one of the cruise line's newer ships along the Dalmatian Coast, also through Tauck. These ships are larger (about 250 passengers), and I understand that even on the Tauck cruises there will be a contingent of French passengers. However, I'm sure that Tauck will have its own cruise directors, and that for shore excursions, the Tauck passengers will go on separate buses.

You can book cruises on these ships without going through Tauck. However, then the ratio of French passengers would probably be much higher, since the company that owns the ship is based in France.

We had had really good experiences with Tauck's land tours, which is why we booked our cruises through Tauck, and we have not been disappointed.

Sailed on Le Diamant in Dec/Jan this year to Antarctica, South Georgia and Falkland Isalands her last season there. We had a fabulous time. Only 20 English speaking passengers aboard. Wonderful captain who is now on the ship that has has replaced her in that region , Le Boreal

• 3 weeks later...

We were on L'Diamant last February in Antarctica. About 170 English speaking and 30 French. Crew was magnificent, very friendly. The French officers all speak English. We have booked for next March on L'Boreal along the South American Western coast.

I have cruised more than a hundred times, and Ponant it´s my favorite cruise line. I wouldn´t dare to call them "cruise line". It´s just an european afforable yachting experience. French flair, chic, elegant, and not pretencious. Probably the best food afloat even better than companies like Silversea, Seabourn or Regent. Pure french delicacies, served in an inmaculate way. The best thing of Ponant is that they have a ship for anyone. From a small mini cruise ship Le Diamant (former Song of Norway), a nice tall ship which is usually in the most exotic destinations of the world, the smart sleek yacht Le Levant, and right now the most discerning ultra design Le Boreal. Always, smart in the french way.

Although formerly they just cater french clientele, with Le Boreal they aim to a more international group of passergers. I was on Le Boreal in june, and I love her. Not other ship in the world is as beautiful as this mega yacht. Design, minimalism, generous spaces, and superb suites with unusual details as a big glass on the bathroom with allows the daily light to get in. Smart L´Occitane toiletries, complimentary wines with meals, delicate tea service, and the Capitan Etianne Garcia, being an absolutely superb host for all the passengers.

Also with Marina Deck it´s perfect for sea sports, and it´s specially prepared for the Antartica. The Carita Spa is probably the best afloat. Don´t expect big and flashy show, just a classical french repertoire on the theatre, Moulin Rouge type shows, and exquisite performances.

If you love classical cruising experiences, luxury atmosphere at a price, Ponant it´s your curise line. I love them. Some pics of my latest cruises.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/354522/index.html

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/360277/index.html

Sorry, have to disagree with you on the food quality, service and professionalism on Le Boreal, I was VERY disappointed and it ranks as my worst cruising experience so far!

Stunning vessel, but that's certainly where it ended. I had a deluxe suite and it was one of the worst rooms I have had afloat for size and amenities. L'occitane in the suite yes, but it was NEVER replaced. Wine included yes, but it was the same all week.

This brand cannot begin to compare to Silversea/Regent/Seabourn!

And the food, don't get me started on that!!

Well it´s a matter of tastes, as well as expectations. Douglas Ward doesn´t agree with that, specially in terms of food, which he also considers it sensational.

Comparision with the others?. You´re right. As the ones pointed by you are overprized, Ponant is half the price, and the quality is almost the same in many aspects. I got plenty of L Occitane amenities, and I found my suite delightfull.

keltic - Although I am interested in trying out Le Boreal to see how it compares to the lovely Hanseatic for expedition cruising, I wonder where you got your information that Douglas Ward has so highly praised the food on Le Boreal. In the 2010 edition of his "Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships", he hadn't yet rated Le Boreal. The 2011 edition of the guide is not being issued until November of this year. Does Ward publish his reviews in some other medium?

As for Le Diamant, which was beloved by so many of us as the Song of Flower, it is a very old ship with dodgy engines which should emphatically not be going to such difficult locales as Antarctica. One hopes that Ponant will focus Le Boreal on Antarctica and keep Le Diamant in safer waters.

Cheers, Fred

This got me curious so I did a quick google and saw that Ward is supposed to have traveled on LeBoreal in July. I couldn't find any commentary about his opinions. Maybe someone saw a quote from him somewhere? If so, please post it.

This got me curious so I did a quick google and saw that Ward is supposed to have traveled on LeBoreal in July. I couldn't find any commentary about his opinions. Maybe someone saw a quote from him somewhere? If so, please post it.

well Skjtrav. i have to clarify my comments. The ship was launched in late spring so there´s not any official rating as the guide will come out in early 2011. I meant that his ratings for all Ponant ships food are rather good. Having travelled in the others vessels, they have even upgraded the food on the new ship. Sometimes to perfection.

As food is something very particular, and there are tastes for everyone.

Well it´s a matter of tastes, as well as expectations. Douglas Ward doesn´t agree with that, specially in terms of food, which he also considers it sensational.

Comparision with the others?. You´re right. As the ones pointed by you are overprized, Ponant is half the price, and the quality is almost the same in many aspects. I got plenty of L Occitane amenities, and I found my suite delightfull.

Douglas Ward hasnt yet rated the vessel, so unless you have personally spoken with him??

Maybe you are talking about his reviews for other Ponant vessels?? As most seasoned cruisers will know,the food often varies greatly between a companies different vessels.

Service was very patchy, most staff members not even worked on a cruise ship before, hotel manager appaulingly rude, as was noticed by a number of clients who had dealings with him.

As for the pricing Ponant was £3500 per person for a weeks cruise, the average I pay for silver/seabourn/regent is £3200 ppn with ALL drinks included and far better food. Boy, pricing must be very different in other parts of Europe, Ponant is certainly not priced well for what one expects to recieve in the uK lux market.

Douglas Ward hasnt yet rated the vessel, so unless you have personally spoken with him??

Maybe you are talking about his reviews for other Ponant vessels?? As most seasoned cruisers will know,the food often varies greatly between a companies different vessels.

Service was very patchy, most staff members not even worked on a cruise ship before, hotel manager appaulingly rude, as was noticed by a number of clients who had dealings with him.

As for the pricing Ponant was £3500 per person for a weeks cruise, the average I pay for silver/seabourn/regent is £3200 ppn with ALL drinks included and far better food. Boy, pricing must be very different in other parts of Europe, Ponant is certainly not priced well for what one expects to recieve in the uK lux market.

About Mr Ward you would be surprised :-). I have found exactly most of the delicacies served on Le Levant, and Le Diamant. And buffets were even better on Le Boreal. Having cruised extensively, I agree that food varies from ship to ship in the same company, but not as to be perfect in one, and a gastronomic disaster in other one.

You mention prices too. Anyway, when we compare two cruise lines we have to compare full brochure fares, and not the price we pay because we are subject to occasional deals and offers, which may alter the perception our the whole fare system.

About service. I have to accept partially your comments in one particular situation, in which the member of the crew involved should be kicked out inmediately. However other members make the whole experience to be worth it. I think the problem is that you were probably expecting the same standards of other luxury cruise companies, and even the company admit they are not in the same level. Of course they market themselves in public like that sometimes, but the travel agencies should make a better job when the recommend a product to their customer. It usually creates false perceptions.

They are not, because they have different prices. Probably you have paid full fare in Ponant, deal in the others so it makes the comparision a little bit virtual.

.....I have carefully read your review. I do agree in many aspects, disagree in many others as well. It´s surprising how two different people perceive things in a different way. I would be surprised if Mr Ward will rate the new ship in a different way than the others.

About Mr Ward you would be surprised :-). I have found exactly most of the delicacies served on Le Levant, and Le Diamant. And buffets were even better on Le Boreal. Having cruised extensively, I agree that food varies from ship to ship in the same company, but not as to be perfect in one, and a gastronomic disaster in other one.

You mention prices too. Anyway, when we compare two cruise lines we have to compare full brochure fares, and not the price we pay because we are subject to occasional deals and offers, which may alter the perception our the whole fare system.

Of course they market themselves in public like that sometimes, but the travel agencies should make a better job when the recommend a product to their customer. It usually creates false perceptions.

They are not, because they have different prices. Probably you have paid full fare in Ponant, deal in the others so it makes the comparision a little bit virtual.

I was comparing full priced brochure fares in Uk for the lux lines.

I booked directly with ponant, infact their UKmarketing director, who assured me that Le Boreal was going to be easily in line with the lux lines, and marketed it that way, which I was disappointed with, as knowing what I do now I wouldnt have booked with them. I think they need to market themselves where they are at now,not what they aim to be in a few years time!

I did not pay the full fare on Ponant either! We were given a £1500 discount, which would have made the fare for a weeks cruise nearer the £5000 mark, which made it extremely poor value for money for what one recieved!

Certainly way over priced for the comparible lux line, I KNOW anyone going from a lux line to Ponant would be disappointed, they are in a different class of cruising. Maybe 4*, not 5 or 6*.

Sorry to disagree again. I was just checking in their own websites we could find a massive difference in terms of prices. For instance full fares in Seabourn in sept arround 6000 euros. All departures in Le Boreal in september usually not more than 3000 euros. Price per day 1000 vs 400. We are talking about "FROM and FULL FARE". Of course one could get impressive prices on Seabourn lately which are worth it, but one could also get fares of around 2000 in Le Boreal. Everyone could check this personally.

Probably if we compare both lower ends, we would get a better price-quality in Seabourn, but offers are simply that. Not always available. I don´t want to compare Regent which is outrageous. Of course suites in Seabourn are bigger, but I have perceived that decoration is quite outdated and tired in the Legend, Spirit, Pride and superb on Le Boreal.

But if we go to upper categories in the summer in Holland America, o even Costa, in the same cabin standards, we could find Ponant even an interesting choice. I don´t have any doubt. I have travelled Sebourn and I have found it delightfull, but also with dark sides, black sheeps in terms of crew, and a not really good price quality ratio. I have to admit that the last Seabourn offers of less than 2000 euros, will have Ponant to review his last minute deals.

I have just posted another review of Le Boreal, just as a second oppinion. However, and despite the ship being incredibly nice I rather go back to my beloved Le Levant. More intimate and yacht type, which a closer relation between crew an passenger.

keltic,

Thank you for sharing your pictures and review of Le Boreal. I have been considering doing a trip to Antarctica on her and found both helpful.

Thank you so much. Le Boreal has been specially designed for the Antarctica cruises. They have a considerable experience in that area of the world with the Le Diamant. Something I find convenient for me it´s the only 30% single supplement on Le Boreal, compared to the 100% to some other luxury companies. Capitan Etianne Garcia was the former Le Diamant captain, and has been transfered to the Le Boreal to make a good use of his experience navigating through those rough waters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone been on the Le Boreal in the Baltic? We are looking at doing a Tauck tour but I am concerned about the small size of this vessel and rough waters in the Baltic. We have never been on his line or in the Baltic so I am looking for any words of wisdom and opinions.

Archived