Compagnie Du Ponant

Hobar

I´ve been on the Baltic on the Seabourn Pride. We had pleasant sailings except for one day. I think when the seas are rough you have swelling in any ship. Of course it could be worse in small ships, but size is not a matter to avoid rough seas. The sea is bigger.

have been looking at boookingg something on here. my agent!! sends me deals all the time enquired NOTHING BOREAL looked lovely but they mundy never responds to my emails!!!

got a nmice one on LA DIAMONT round uk in 2011 looks rerally nice. i looked at their brochgue and the 2011 one LA DIAMONT is not even in it i asked ponant but nothing back yet. the ebruchures you cannot even print out. hope to go on this company can you recomment them?

dave

I assume that if you ask for something they don´t have planned yet, they simply wait to have the information first and then answer. I think emailing someone and not receiving an answer, means many times that either the mail hasn´t reached, it has reached the wrong person, or has been resent to other person (representative in another country) and finnaly things get lost.

I think, if your travel agency can´t provide you with answers about a route, you should call directly to their reservation number. They speak English. I do like them, don´t make any comparisions with anyone. They have a particular product, which usually suits everyone if you are able to get the right price. They usually brought out promotions when the sailing got closer (in many cases), now they have changed the system and give you good discounts if you book well in advance. Le Diamant is not a brand new ship, but when I went on her a few years ago, was quite well maintained. Of course no comparision with le Le Boreal.

I think they have acted wisely. As Le Diamant can´t compete in the Med, why don´t sending her to exotic destinations?. The China route is lovely indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, haven't posted before, hope someone can help me with a quick question. We're booked on Le Boreal for an upcoming cruise, and I'd like to know exactly what the electrical plugs look like on board - their website says 'European standard' so that's the two round pins, right? I know they'll have adaptors on board, but it's nice to be prepared if possible :)

I have come back from the Silver Cloud a few days ago. It was fine, there was a little bit more of "frills", but there were things which didn´t match Ponant despite being much more expensive. Crew on Silversea wasn´t particularly good, food rather bland (except on the Le Champagne which was stunning) and ship simply didn´t match Le Boreal. It was smart and nice, Vista Suite was delightfull but not as impressive as the one in Le Boreal. Smaller but nicer.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone booked on Le Boréal to Antarctica this year? I'm very curious and considering L'Austral for 2012.

I am in the very beginning stages of researching this, but it seems like a possibility for Antarctica.

Thanks for any information.

B

Is anyone booked on Le Boréal to Antarctica this year? I'm very curious and considering L'Austral for 2012.

I am in the very beginning stages of researching this, but it seems like a possibility for Antarctica.

Thanks for any information.

B

The only problem I have seen is that the Antarctica cruises are "chartered out" and sold through Tauck, A & K, and perhaps other companies. There have been no prices posted on the Ponant site for direct bookings.

Hi, Mike

There are prices on www.ponant.com for late 2011 and early 2012. I have questions and plan to call them later today.

B

These must be a recent addition because I would swear they were not there over the weekend. I did not have the time to compare apples-to-apples, but the direct prices seem much lower than the 2010-2011 prices from A & K and Tauck.

These must be a recent addition because I would swear they were not there over the weekend. I did not have the time to compare apples-to-apples, but the direct prices seem much lower than the 2010-2011 prices from A & K and Tauck.

Hi, Mike

I compared the direct prices to A&K and they are MUCH lower. I e-mailed Ponant several times with questions...they were very responsive.

I have an e-mail into my TA. Want to get prices for booking with her vs. booking directly with Ponant.

B

I contacted them directly - thier Miami office and I am rather unhappy with thier service level.

To make a long story short they sent me thier pricing - I have the spreadsheet, and the preces for Le Boreal and L'Austral were very different - so I asked and was told by Miguel ast thier office that this was not unusual...

So I tried to book the Owners Cabin.... Next day I get an email telling me the boat is mostly booked and gave me new prices(same as Le Boreal).

So I start looking around - clearly they made an error with the pricing they sent to me and forgot to make the conversion from Euros to dollars(I know this because the numbers are exactly the same - the spreadseet they sent and the Euro pricing structure).

Ok no big deal - they made a converrsion error - but they refuse to say that is the case. They insists it is something else.... Bizzare.

Would they be required to honor what they sent me if it is an error vs availability?

In the mean time I have asked to talk to a supervisor to get a better explanation and am met only with silence.

This made my decision to go on the PA II with SS alot easier - even if it is more money.

We've done a good bit of research on this and will be booking the 20 January 2012 trip on L'Astral this AM.

A + K and Tauck prices (neither of which appear to be available for 2012 yet) generally include nights in Buenos Aires (1 or 2 pre and 1 post). Tango show and dinner and city tours usually are included. Looks like BA-Ushuaia air is extra. We just decided that the premium for those services is more than we are interested in paying and will do the hotels and flights on our own.

We've done a good bit of research on this and will be booking the 20 January 2012 trip on L'Astral this AM.

A + K and Tauck prices (neither of which appear to be available for 2012 yet) generally include nights in Buenos Aires (1 or 2 pre and 1 post). Tango show and dinner and city tours usually are included. Looks like BA-Ushuaia air is extra. We just decided that the premium for those services is more than we are interested in paying and will do the hotels and flights on our own.

We will book hotels and sightseeing on our own as well. Probably wil not book until tomorrow - maybe on the same sailing. Did you go through a TA or book directly?

Hi, Mike

I compared the direct prices to A&K and they are MUCH lower. I e-mailed Ponant several times with questions...they were very responsive.

I have an e-mail into my TA. Want to get prices for booking with her vs. booking directly with Ponant.

B

I would hope they would be the same.

We will book hotels and sightseeing on our own as well. Probably wil not book until tomorrow - maybe on the same sailing. Did you go through a TA or book directly?

Called them direct for info and seemed OK but booking is through TA.

Ed and Cathy

I would hope they would be the same.

Pricing is the same, except the TA is offering a $300 OBC.

We will be booking L'Austral today for Dec. 11, 2011.

I haven't asked the TA, but I assume they charge the deposit in Euros and convert to USD. I plan to use our credit card that does not charge a foreign currency conversion fee.

We're booking our own airfare, hotels and pre-cruise activities.

If anyone is interested, Ponant e-mailed a copy of their "terms and conditions" as well as the required medical form to me yesterday.

I'm excited!

B

Pricing is the same, except the TA is offering a $300 OBC.

We will be booking L'Austral today for Dec. 11, 2011.

I haven't asked the TA, but I assume they charge the deposit in Euros and convert to USD. I plan to use our credit card that does not charge a foreign currency conversion fee.

We're booking our own airfare, hotels and pre-cruise activities.

If anyone is interested, Ponant e-mailed a copy of their "terms and conditions" as well as the required medical form to me yesterday.

I'm excited!

B

Looks like an excellent value - especially when compared to the PA II (we loved the ship and the Arctic cruise but the difference in money is extreme), Lindblad/NatGeo, Smithsonian, Quark, Hurtigruten etc.

Since they are quoting in dollars on the site, they might charge in dollars. Depends where they clear their transactions.

Looks like an excellent value - especially when compared to the PA II (we loved the ship and the Arctic cruise but the difference in money is extreme), Lindblad/NatGeo, Smithsonian, Quark, Hurtigruten etc.

Since they are quoting in dollars on the site, they might charge in dollars. Depends where they clear their transactions.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Have you decided to book?

B

Archived