US passes new passenger safety legislation

smeyer418

Great :(

Now the price of my cruise goes up all because some drunks wanted to show off and climb on rails. Or, someone wanted to go out in style during their last voyage in life. Or, mom and dad were having too good of a time to watch over their kids.

Great :(

Now the price of my cruise goes up all because some drunks wanted to show off and climb on rails. Or, someone wanted to go out in style during their last voyage in life. Or, mom and dad were having too good of a time to watch over their kids.

Why would the price go up? Any reputable cruiseline already does these things as good business practice. All the ships I have been on have peepholes, electronic key cards, 42" high railings, information on medical emergency response, etc. I suspect the bill is aimed at the low budget, small volume operators that cut too many corners to make a buck.

Do all hotels in the US presently have to have rape kits and doctors available if they are more then 30 minutes from a certtifend rape awareness clinic or hospital? What about bars and restaurants and other places where such things can happen. Are their rape kits available in Central Park In Manhattan. What about on airlines should two people attempt the mile high club and one changes their mind mid-flight? We can't be too cautious these days, after all 99% of all males are prone to such possible crimes. and it seems 99.99% of all women seem to attract such males.

Do all hotels in the US presently have to have rape kits and doctors available if they are more then 30 minutes from a certtifend rape awareness clinic or hospital? What about bars and restaurants and other places where such things can happen. Are their rape kits available in Central Park In Manhattan. What about on airlines should two people attempt the mile high club and one changes their mind mid-flight? We can't be too cautious these days, after all 99% of all males are prone to such possible crimes. and it seems 99.99% of all women seem to attract such males.

almost every ambulance has a rape kit. No one is more than a short time from a cop who has access to rape kits. There is a police precinct in Central Park. An airplane even over the Atlantic is never more than an hour a way from a airport.

Sorry NO peepholes on the new NCL Epic ! I just got off Saturday and that is something I missed when someone was knocking on my door. I don't like to answer a door unless I can see who is there. It really made me nervous, especially on a ship.

Sorry NO peepholes on the new NCL Epic ! I just got off Saturday and that is something I missed when someone was knocking on my door. I don't like to answer a door unless I can see who is there. It really made me nervous, especially on a ship.

Ummmm, so they omited peepholes in the doors, but installed frosted glass doors to the toilet? Seems as if the ship designer on their staff is more into voyuerism than security :D

Because any additional expenses associated with the cost of implementation will be passed along to the customer.

If there are any that would make a difference. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, many cruiselines already adhere to these requirements, which is why most were in favor of it. Presumably this is so the lines that did not yet meet the requirements would now have to spend money getting up to specs, thereby putting them at a slight disadvantage.

Disclaimer: I'm only speculating about why they were in favor, so don't start shooting from the hip in my direction because of my postulations :D

Though the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act 2010 has been passed by both the House and Senate, it's important to note it has not become an actual law yet. It still has to be signed into a law by the President. Than the next question is what is the effective date that was written into the legislation ? Hopefully if will be effective when the President signs the bill into law, but that's not alway the case as these types of laws genrally have a future effective date to allow all entitiies impacted time to effectively meet compliance with the law. All in all it's definitely a good thing .

I have no doubt that it was be signed into law. There is no constituency clamoring against it. It passed the house something like 300 to 4.

here is the text of the bill as it was passed.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h3360enr.txt.pdf

Each section has an effective date....that varies from 1 year to 18 months(with some exceptions)....after the president signs it.

This is a law, long in waiting, just look at "cruise victims.com", but it should cover all nationalities, not just US residents !!

Cato

catolga28@shaw.ca

Passed Cruises !

First cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

Second cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

Third cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

Fourth cruise - Golden Princes, 12 November 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

Fifth & (hopefully Platinum member cruise), Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver -LA

Repositioning .

Sixth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

Seventh cruise - Crown Princess, 26 Mach 2011, 7 day Western Carribean, LA to LA

Eighth cruise - Emerald Princess, 04 June 2011, 11 day Baltic, Copenhagen to Copenhagen

Though the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act 2010 has been passed by both the House and Senate, it's important to note it has not become an actual law yet. It still has to be signed into a law by the President. Than the next question is what is the effective date that was written into the legislation ? Hopefully if will be effective when the President signs the bill into law, but that's not alway the case as these types of laws genrally have a future effective date to allow all entitiies impacted time to effectively meet compliance with the law. All in all it's definitely a good thing .

If it means additional governmental control over the lives of citizens, you can bet this president will sign it.

This is a law' date=' long in waiting, just look at "cruise victims.com", but it should cover all nationalities, not just US residents !!

Cato

catolga28@shaw.ca

Passed Cruises !

First cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

Second cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

Third cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

Fourth cruise - Golden Princes, 12 November 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

Fifth & (hopefully Platinum member cruise), Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver -LA

Repositioning .

Sixth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

Seventh cruise - Crown Princess, 26 Mach 2011, 7 day Western Carribean, LA to LA

Eighth cruise - Emerald Princess, 04 June 2011, 11 day Baltic, Copenhagen to Copenhagen

it can't. extraterritorial reach of the US can't be used to cover people who the US has no nexus with...international law.

it can't. extraterritorial reach of the US can't be used to cover people who the US has no nexus with...international law.

Fortunately, with Florida v Stepanski, the state of Florida can claim jurisdiction over anyone on the ship, so long as the ship's itinerary starts and ends in Florida and the crime is covered under Florida statutes. Few are aware of it, but it's a great tool for enforcement.

Fortunately, with Florida v Stepanski, the state of Florida can claim jurisdiction over anyone on the ship, so long as the ship's itinerary starts and ends in Florida and the crime is covered under Florida statutes. Few are aware of it, but it's a great tool for enforcement.

yes that is Maritime law but it still requires a US Nexus. Not all cruises start and end in the US. The law covers any cruise that starts, ends or stops in the US , but it also covers any US national any where in the world.

yes that is Maritime law but it still requires a US Nexus. Not all cruises start and end in the US. The law covers any cruise that starts, ends or stops in the US , but it also covers any US national any where in the world.

The law I cited is a Florida law that only applies to cruises starting and ending in Florida. A great example of how this law is applied was a recent domestic battery that occurred on a Carnival ship. The battery occurred on the High Seas, outside of Florida waters. Without victim cooperation, no AUSA in this country would touch it, let alone in the busy S. District of Florida. Under Stepansky, the Key West Police Department arrested the primary aggressor and he was charged here in Monroe County under the Florida battery statutes.

I'm not sure if other states with cruise embarkation ports, like CA or NY, have followed suit yet.

Archived