Do they let (non-service) dogs onboard?

Cruising Jedi

I can't imagine bringing my dogs aboard a ship with such conditions... namely the first two. It would just be too cruel for them. those conditions would also mean the room steward and room service would not be allowed to service your room for the duration of the trip outside of the 5am-6am window (if they run the same way as most pet friendly hotels do, which is housekeeping and room service will not come in when the pet is in the room) and you would be restricted to onboard activities when the port of call has quarantine restrictions on out of state/country animals. it would be a crappy vacation for human and the dog.

with my luck, my dogs, who already skid on hardwood floors into walls, will probably likely run, skid, and fall overboard! :eek:

On one of our cruises there was a service dog that was well behaved and adhered to all the rules including the formal dress code. On formal night he had one a doggy tuxedo to comply with formal night dress code. He was so cute. We have cruised several times with service animals and you wouldn't even know they were there.

On our last cruise a woman had a little tiny dog. I passed her cabin once or twice when she was standing in the door way with the dog in her arms. I assume it was classified as a service dog.

We met a wonderful lady on board the Oosterdam and she had her service dog "Boudreaux" with her. He wore his red "Service Animal" coat every day, but on formal nights, he had on a doggie tux! It cracked us up. He was extremey well behaved and caused no one a problem.

Her main concern was that people kept wanting to pet & pick up the dog, and as everyone should be aware, when a service dog is "working" that is a definite 'no-no'. Some folks took offense when she asked them not to touch the dog, but I'm guessing that they were merely uninformed as to the treatment of such animals.

There was a seniorish woman on my Hawaiian cruise on the Golden who appeared to have smuggled a little "purse dog" on board. She'd carry him around an a small rolling tote bag and only bring him out when there were no crew about. He wore no service jacket, so I don't think he was a service dog.

I agree Pam - we saw a service dog with someone who by all appearences seemed perfectly health - after speaking to this lady for about an half an hour we found out the dog was a Hypoglycemic Alert Dog apparently the dogs can sense changes in blood sugar levels - which I find amazing.
Would that have been Carolyn and her little whippet Devo? We shared a table on the QE2 once. I'm a cat person but Devo decided I was his best friend and spent most of the dinners lying across my feet. Of course he was also trained for hyperglycemic alert, and being a diabetic who was throwing caution to the winds in the quest for the best dessert, I think I stressed him out a bit!

I have managed ships for all the cruise lines mentioned in this thread.

Cunard is the only line that would allow pets onboard, and these were only allowed in the kennels for a Trans Atlantic crossing.

Service animals are another story. The cruise lines are scared to death of all the lawsuits and negative publicity brought by the ADA.

If a passenger produces a letter from their doctor or psychiatrist, claiming that the animal is somehow connected to the passenger's physical or mental health, they may be able to take it onboard.

This must be arranged in advance. The animal must have it's own "Passport" with all the necessary innoculations and examinations registered.

The animal must stay with the owner at ALL times onboard the ship - not confined to the cabin.

There is no deposit to pay.

The animal can be walked at any time.There are no restrictions.

Your friend is not being truthful with you.

Despite all this, some countries will not allow the animal to go ashore. The owner will be confined to the ship with the animal.

cruise lines are scared to death of all the lawsuits and negative publicity brought by the ADA.

The animal must stay with the owner at ALL times onboard the ship - not confined to the cabin.QUOTE]

Does the ADA apply to cruise ship?

Note my prior post -- I assume the dog was in the cabin for the period of time its

owners were on the tour.

My Big Fella is a registered service animal for seizures, however we don't take him on cruises because we don't feel it's the best place for a dog and he has to stay and look after his little girl.:D He is very special and showed us once that he was good for other medical problems. He got my partner to the hospital 30min prior to having a heart attack, which he had in the emergency room. What a nose!:D:D He gets a much BBQ chicken as he likes.;)

Anthony

Hi,

The picture on this page is "Brenda". She's a Service Dog. She will be on her 14th cruise in November. She's been on every major cruiseline and has traveled around the world in every possible way....by train/plane/boat/cruiseship/bus/tram and car. She's a pure English Lab. And, she's gorgeous!

Pam: It's good to hear from you, we hope to meet you again.

Doug: You gave me my laugh for the day, I love the picture.

Sulton: Emotional Support, or Mental Support or Nervous Support Dogs have absolutely NO PUBLIC ACCESS and, are not covered by the DOJ [Department of Justice] or the ADA [Americans with Disability Act.] If they make it to a cruiseship, they'll NEVER pass Immigration. They can NOT go into the work place and partner someone, they can not go to the movies/markets/dept.stores, etc.

Earl: The ADA & the DOJ applies to any and all ships.

JFV: Because your going into foreign waters and ports you MUST present a Department of Food and Agriculture Certificate For Interstate or International Movement of Small Animals. This Certificate MUST be signed by a Licensed Vet [not all Vets are qualified to do this]. This Certificate states that the dog is a Service Dog, is in good health, is on flea/tick control, is on Heartguard, is current on rabies vaccine or titer testing, is current on all necessary vaccines. Hawaii requires a Rabies Blood Titer draw done within a certain amount of time before bringing in ANY DOG, because Hawaii has NEVER had a case of rabies. Cruises have a differential on the timeline. Canada also has very rigid regulations [we were there a few months ago.]

The cruiselines and airlines/TSA have very strict guidelines. And, because the various foreign ports and Immigration Officials have such resistence to animals that may enter their country....I promise you this woman was feeding her friend a line.

All of the above proof of certification and signature from a Certified Vet must be presented to the Special Access Dept. of the cruiseline and Immigration Authorities prior to receiving your final docs. and, during your cruise at the various ports.

Talk about "hoops and whistle's". For folks who absolutely require the services of these amazing dogs it's all worth it.

Don't forget, the dog has to be disciplined, walked, fed/watered, groomed and cleaned-up after. It's very difficult but again, so worth it.

You will NEVER even know a proper Service Dog is onboard with you, unless you actually see it. They're so well behaved and, they want to do their job; all they ask for in return is to be loved, respected and cared for. Oh! Yes! And, the opportunity to go out on deck and smell the sea breezes, they're so smart about that!

Other passengers are amazed when they see Brenda and always ask [because I don't look like someone who would need a Service Dog] and she's big [75 lbs] "How'd you get the dog onboard?" I always answer, "In my hanging bag!" People just naturally think that if you're not blind there's no other reason to have a Service Dog.

If you see us......I always allow for "pats", Brenda loves them. And, we always go find an empty lounge and throw the ball, don't hesitate to join in if you'd like. "Downtime" for a Service Dog is pure reward for a job well done!

Hey Roz-

So glad that you caught this thread! I knew that your calm voice of reason would help to temper some of the mood here! I don't know of anyone who has more knowledge on this subject than you.

Happy you are back!

TL:):)

Hey Roz-

So glad that you caught this thread! I knew that your calm voice of reason would help to temper some of the mood here! I don't know of anyone who has more knowledge on this subject than you.

Happy you are back!

TL:):)

Thanks Tracie, this subject hits my very soul. I will protect the rights of every Service Dog and handler....that said, if I were to come across someone who "fell through the cracks" and is bringing their pet onboard a ship.....I promise you I'll be the first to confront them on it.

It's taken over 35 years for our dogs and handlers to earn these rights and to get the Department of Justice to back us, I won't allow others to ruin what so many have faught for.

It seems I've turned into the "Norma Rae" of the Service Dog world.

If I become too strong on the subject I expect you'll all let me know.;)

My Big Fella is a registered service animal for seizures, however we don't take him on cruises because we don't feel it's the best place for a dog and he has to stay and look after his little girl.:D He is very special and showed us once that he was good for other medical problems. He got my partner to the hospital 30min prior to having a heart attack, which he had in the emergency room. What a nose!:D:D He gets a much BBQ chicken as he likes.;)

Anthony

How amazing! Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. :)

Thanks Tracie, this subject hits my very soul. I will protect the rights of every Service Dog and handler....that said, if I were to come across someone who "fell through the cracks" and is bringing their pet onboard a ship.....I promise you I'll be the first to confront them on it.

It's taken over 35 years for our dogs and handlers to earn these rights and to get the Department of Justice to back us, I won't allow others to ruin what so many have faught for.

Thanks, Roz- not overboard at all! I am a dog lover, but would never hinder the needs of others who require service animals to bring my PET aboard (even if I believe that he provides emotional support:)). I am grateful that there are those of us who will confront the malingerers.

I really, really hope that I end up on a boat with you and Brenda one of these days. I promise to bring my own supply of tennis balls and dog cookies for her down time!

TL

The OP's friend must have been talking about the QM2 which has kennels. They fill up very early though and must be booked quite far in advance to secure a spot. No cats are allowed - just dogs - and they cannot leave the kennel area. QM2 is the only Cunard ship to allow pet dogs (not assistance dogs).

Roz.. Can you give me links on Emotional Support, or Mental Support or Nervous Support Dogs that show that these types of dogs are not covered by the DOJ [Department of Justice] or the ADA [Americans with Disability Act> I have a friend that takes her small dog everywhere with her. She said she has a certificate that states her dog is required for emotional support.

The OP's friend must have been talking about the QM2 which has kennels. They fill up very early though and must be booked quite far in advance to secure a spot. No cats are allowed - just dogs - and they cannot leave the kennel area. QM2 is the only Cunard ship to allow pet dogs (not assistance dogs).

No she was not referring to Cunard. Re-read the OP's original post. Her "friend" said she was allowed to keep the dog in her cabin, had specific "walking" times, had to pay a security depost, ya-da, ya-da, and it was on one of 4 cruiselines (either Princess, Carnival, RCCL or NCL) but would not tell her which one. Cunard was not even mentioned.

A whole lot of prattle with not a word of truth to it whatsoever, I would imagine!

Roz:

I have read your posts on the "Disabled Cruise Travel". Your posts are wonderful. We hope we have the opportunity to meet you on one of our cruises. Thanks for detailed responses to this discussion.

Actually, I have 2 sources for my rather light hearted comments on Emotional Support Animals.

We were at a Timeshare in Indio / Palm Springs 2 weeks ago. And in the guidelines, there was a statement that a verbal declaration that the animal was with the occupant for any medically related reason was sufficient to allow the animal. Specifically, the check-in was warned that the check-in shall not ask for any proof or substantiation.

About 4 weeks ago, there was a TV news segment. The item they discussed was a desire on part of the small business owners that the congress legislate more clearly what animals were allowed into a restaurant or store. Currently, according to that broadcast, again a verbal declaration that the dog was "medically" needed was sufficient. The news broadcast specifically discussed the issue of "Emotional Support" animals and the only current legal requirement is a Doctor (MD or Psychiatrist) recommendation. They discussed the difference between the trained and certified "Service" animal and these other animals. They also interviewed someone from the training facility who went through the training process and that there is wait list for these service animals. The news segment ended with the narrator saying that he expects persons walking into a restaurant with a snake around the neck!

Hi,

Sulton: Emotional Support, or Mental Support or Nervous Support Dogs have absolutely NO PUBLIC ACCESS and, are not covered by the DOJ [Department of Justice] or the ADA [Americans with Disability Act.] If they make it to a cruiseship, they'll NEVER pass Immigration. They can NOT go into the work place and partner someone, they can not go to the movies/markets/dept.stores, etc.

[/nequote]

I too hope to meet you and Brenda on a cruise one day. It is such a wonderful thing for people to do to train service animals (someone I worked with on a school carnival was one such person). It's a shame others would try to take advantage and find some little loophole.

Archived