Formal Nights

alaskandreamer

Hi All,

Quick question....

Are men required to wear a suit coat or sport coat during formal nights?

Or is it acceptable to wear a nice dress shirt and tie only?

I'm just trying to see if a suit jacket is really a necessary thing to pack.

We are leaving for Alaska Monday and we are really trying to figure out the most efficient way to pack.

Thanks again for all the great info!

The vast majority of men on HAL will be in sport coats or suits. A few will be in tuxes, and here and there formal wear such as kilts or oriental formal dress.

I don't suppose they would actually turn a man away from the dining room in a shirt and tie, but you will definitely stand out as underdressed.

A good alternative if packing space is short is to rent a tux from the ship. You will look great and can get a wonderful picture taken!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Actual precentages will vary more based on cruiseline and demographics of the passengers then the destination, though Alaska is noted to be less "formal." On our princess cruise I was surprised it didn't seem less formal than either Caribbean or Med cruises. IMHO you'll be fine but you would have been in the 10-15% minority on my group, for adults.

Hi All,

Quick question....

Are men required to wear a suit coat or sport coat during formal nights?

Or is it acceptable to wear a nice dress shirt and tie only?

I'm just trying to see if a suit jacket is really a necessary thing to pack.

We are leaving for Alaska Monday and we are really trying to figure out the most efficient way to pack.

Thanks again for all the great info!

On the "O' last spring, they had some jackets at the desk when people checked into the MDR..................because they needed them. They just loaned them.

IMO, ANYTHING would be better than on the NCL ship we took to Alaska a few years ago. There was a big group of people (NOT young people) who wore baseball caps and OVERALLS to the MDR nightly and they were never turned away.:eek:

Formal night is formal night................but suits are HEAVY in suitcases, for sure.

We cruised to Alaska last May on the Millenium. Because we travel with only carry ons, my husband did not pack a suit. Out of respect for the dress code, we did not attend the first formal night. Our table mates told us that there were men wearing only dress shirts and ties, which my husband did have with him. So for the second formal night he wore that as did 2 of the men at our table (they were happy to leave their jackets in the room) and we all enjoyed a very nice evening. I noticed several men without jackets, and many more that took theirs off and put it over the back of their chairs. Many of the women, while nicely dressed, were not in formal or even semi formal attire.

IMO, ANYTHING would be better than on the NCL ship we took to Alaska a few years ago. There was a big group of people (NOT young people) who wore baseball caps and OVERALLS to the MDR nightly and they were never turned away.:eek:

You apparently just chose the wrong cruiseline, because NCL does allow them to do that.

Is an Alaskan cruise more formal than a Caribbean?

I've only been on 1 cruise, HAL to the Eastern Carib almost 5 years ago. I brought a suit for formal nights, my wife bought a couple dresses for the cruise. I was a little surprised how many people (mostly men) were dressed very informally. I honestly don't care. I think it's nice to dress for dinner every once and a while and we had fun doing it, but what the guy at the next table is wearing doesn't really matter to me. Saying that, people were way less "dressed" than I expected after reading the boards.

At the same time some guys were wearing Tuxedos but to me unless everyone is wearing a tuxedo they look a little more out of place than just a shirt and tie. Again, not that it matters to me, if someone is enjoying how they're dressed, good for them.

I'm just wondering if Alaskan cruises are more formal because I am packing SO much more for an Alaskan cruise. I have to bring shorts and outdoor wear and jackets and hiking boots, etc.. I was considering just bringing one dinner jacket and trying to multi-use some of my other clothes. Some khaki style (but darker colored) pants I could wear comfortable with a jacket and tie but also out hiking. Also some outdoor "tech" shirts that are classic solid colored, collared, and button up would look fine with a tie and jacket and could also be used off the ship on outdoor type excursions.

I would be MORE than dressed enough for my last cruise with these kind of clothes, but i don't want to under-dress (out of respect to the people who do care a lot) on our Royal Caribbean NB Alaska cruise in a few weeks.

Is an Alaskan cruise more formal than a Caribbean?

I've only been on 1 cruise, HAL to the Eastern Carib almost 5 years ago. I brought a suit for formal nights, my wife bought a couple dresses for the cruise. I was a little surprised how many people (mostly men) were dressed very informally. I honestly don't care. I think it's nice to dress for dinner every once and a while and we had fun doing it, but what the guy at the next table is wearing doesn't really matter to me. Saying that, people were way less "dressed" than I expected after reading the boards.

At the same time some guys were wearing Tuxedos but to me unless everyone is wearing a tuxedo they look a little more out of place than just a shirt and tie. Again, not that it matters to me, if someone is enjoying how they're dressed, good for them.

I'm just wondering if Alaskan cruises are more formal because I am packing SO much more for an Alaskan cruise. I have to bring shorts and outdoor wear and jackets and hiking boots, etc.. I was considering just bringing one dinner jacket and trying to multi-use some of my other clothes. Some khaki style (but darker colored) pants I could wear comfortable with a jacket and tie but also out hiking. Also some outdoor "tech" shirts that are classic solid colored, collared, and button up would look fine with a tie and jacket and could also be used off the ship on outdoor type excursions.

I would be MORE than dressed enough for my last cruise with these kind of clothes, but i don't want to under-dress (out of respect to the people who do care a lot) on our Royal Caribbean NB Alaska cruise in a few weeks.

Alaska for me was way less dressy than I had read here for the year prior to my cruise. I was on Celebrity an upline per say of RCCL and honestly saw one tux. Many men wore jackets and shirt/tie combo. Women were dressed in typical sunday best, not ball gowns like you would be lead to believe. I like you did and do not care what people wear but did take notice since I was fearful of what to wear myself after reading CC for so long before my Alaska cruise. I can only tell you what I whitnessed, it was way more blown out of proportion as far as being formal here than on the ship itself.

So from what's described you will be just perfect. I have sailed RCCL in the Caribbean and would imagine Alaska to be about the same. My husband and I did mix and match quite a bit and I assure no one ever noticed...

Wishing you a great trip,

Patty

BTW love your quote by C.S. Lewis

We were on Island Princess 7/5-7/12. There were a few tuxes but mostly suits w/the coat. Women were in cocktail dresses or a dress you'd wear to a nice evening party. I personally would pack the suit jacket for sure.

Hope that helps!

Did you see many men with sports jackets and nice slacks as opposed to suits??? I guess DH can just pack a suit but he would prefer to wear a sport jacket, dress shirt & tie and coordinating slacks. Just wondering.

Thanks

Did you see many men with sports jackets and nice slacks as opposed to suits??? I guess DH can just pack a suit but he would prefer to wear a sport jacket, dress shirt & tie and coordinating slacks. Just wondering.

Thanks

I think a sport jacket, dress shirt & tie and coordinating slacks would be fine. I would just make sure to wear a jacket and not only wear a shirt & tie.

Because of just having one luggage and not wanting to pack a dress for formal night, can people still have dinner on formal nights if they're not dressed up? Would you have to go eat at the buffet or order room service?

You have to go to the buffet or order room service, unless you're cruising NCL.

Sorry, I don't agree. Since some airlines are charging $25 for the first checked bag, many cruise passengers are using one 22" carry-on bag. I saw men in slacks, shirt & ties. I also saw woman in skirts, slacks and dressy tops, during formal night. These passengers did not stick out in the crowd. I was on the Celebrity and I was surprised. No need to order room service or go to the buffet. Enjoy your formal nights.

Sorry, I don't agree. Since some airlines are charging $25 for the first checked bag, many cruise passengers are using one 22" carry-on bag. I saw men in slacks, shirt & ties. I also saw woman in skirts, slacks and dressy tops, during formal night. These passengers did not stick out in the crowd. I was on the Celebrity and I was surprised. No need to order room service or go to the buffet. Enjoy your formal nights.

I consider what you described (ties, dressy tops, etc.) as "dressed up" so yes, that would be acceptable at Formal Night.

When oceanfun77 asked "if they're not dressed up", I took that to mean jeans or other casual clothes. I don't think jeans should be worn in the dining room on Formal Nights, even if they don't kick you out. If someone wants to wear jeans or casual clothes, they should eat at the buffet or get room service.

I saw a woman with nice jeans on, however, she had hi heels with them. Normally jeans are not worn in the dining room. Lots of kakis for both men and women though.

Don't go nuts on what to wear. Use your common sense and you will be fine.

Archived