Best way from Naples Port to Archaeological Museum?

redtag

We will be in Port of Naples In August and would like to know the best and safest way to get to and from the Port to the Naples Archaeological Museum. Also, is part of the museum closed at this time?

We traveled by boat to the port of Naples, taxi to the museum and then train back to Sorrento. It was a Sunday and overcast so Naples was a gloomy place that day. We were also somewhat disappointed with the museum and, in retrospect, think we would have been happier in Sorrento. Given the choice, I think the train was a better option as the port of Naples is a pretty crazy place.

If you are simply going from the port to the museum and back, a taxi is simplest. You could opt to walk back (it's downhill), or get a taxi for the return. I seem to recall a taxi stand very close by.

Somewhere I have directions by bus if you are interested.

Yes, it has been reported that the museum is undergoing renovation, and some areas are blocked off. The areas may change from week to week as work progresses, so I don't think there is a way to know for sure what may be closed.

If you do as cruisemom suggested (walk back) you should include some of the churches between the museum and the port. We plan on doing that in a few weeks. I don't have my notes with me but there are three or four that are worth seeing. I recall that the walk back is around 1 mile but it is downhill.

Kirk

Archived