Suggestions instead of Rome for Civitavecchia & nearby

cosmo1027

Hi,

We are going to have a port day at Civitavecchia and are trying to decide how to spend our day doing something other than Rome. We love Rome, but recently spent several days there and saw the the major highlights. I know there is much to see in Rome, but I hope to have the opportunity to go back again for longer than one day to see more in Rome.

I am looking for ideas for others who have done something different while docked at Civitavecchia. We had thought about Ostia Antica, but unfortunately our port day there is a Monday and the site is closed on Mondays. Any suggestions for those of you who have done something different from Rome??

Thanks for your help! :)

Kim

We've done Rome many times and for our last time we just enjoyed this port. There is more to this port than what most people think. We went to the market they have which was quite interesting and we also visited the Catholic Church and walked over to the Train Station and then walked the major streets of the city which were quite nice.

Another option is to visit town of Tarquinia, where you can also visit the Natioanal National Etruscan Museum which we found to be quite interesting.

Keith

I second both recommendations given by Keith1010. Both are excellent options and can easily be done on your own.

Another nice option, yet to be doen either by tour or car, are the small town in the hills surrounding Rome, for example Castel Gandolfo, the summer residence of the Pope.

We've done Rome many times and for our last time we just enjoyed this port. There is more to this port than what most people think. We went to the market they have which was quite interesting and we also visited the Catholic Church and walked over to the Train Station and then walked the major streets of the city which were quite nice.

Another option is to visit town of Tarquinia, where you can also visit the Natioanal National Etruscan Museum which we found to be quite interesting.

Keith

Tarquinia and the museum there are great ideas. But the OP should note that the museum is also closed on Mondays (their port day).

Will be watching this thread.

Wife & I tend to avoid large cities anywhere so have no great desire to plunge into Rome, believe it or not !

Seems a shame to avoid a place where there is so much history and art just on principle!

Wife & I tend to avoid large cities anywhere so have no great desire to plunge into Rome, believe it or not !

The only reason to avoid Rome is if you been there a few times already.

I guess it's not so much avoid as not have as top priority. In many ways I'd rather go up & down the coast if there's some pretty and interesting places.

Tarquinia thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1118476

Anyway, our trip is still tentative and over a year away so lots of time to plot and plan:)

Archived