What to do in Koper

We're doing a private tour next month from Koper which will take us to Ljubljana Old Town and to Lake Bled and Lake Bled Castle. The scenery appears amazing. I'll post after we get back and let you know how we liked it.

We're doing a private tour next month from Koper which will take us to Ljubljana Old Town and to Lake Bled and Lake Bled Castle. The scenery appears amazing. I'll post after we get back and let you know how we liked it.

Hi

We are calling at Koper next year also so any info will be great thanks. Enjoy your tour and the rest of your holiday. :)

Koper is a nice town but quite small and I think it's a good idea to travel a bit further afield. A couple of hours sightseeing here is probably more than enough.

We visited Ljubljana from Koper too and thought the scenery lovely and the city very interesting and attractive.

The second time we went there we took the local bus service to Piran. It's a scenic route going through Izola and Portoroz along the way and only 3.10E if I remember correctly. Piran is the end of the line so you catch the bus back where you got off. Piran is great - larger and more impressive than Koper itself. We walked around the seafront, climbed to the church for fabulous views and had a coffee in one of the many cafes. Try the chocolates from the chocolate shop in the Square too - recommended!

Koper is a nice town but quite small and I think it's a good idea to travel a bit further afield. A couple of hours sightseeing here is probably more than enough.

We visited Ljubljana from Koper too and thought the scenery lovely and the city very interesting and attractive.

The second time we went there we took the local bus service to Piran. It's a scenic route going through Izola and Portoroz along the way and only 3.10E if I remember correctly. Piran is the end of the line so you catch the bus back where you got off. Piran is great - larger and more impressive than Koper itself. We walked around the seafront, climbed to the church for fabulous views and had a coffee in one of the many cafes. Try the chocolates from the chocolate shop in the Square too - recommended!

Kruzseeka,

We will be in Koper in September.

How long is the bus ride to Piran? Do the buses run fairly regularly (e.g., hourly or ??)?

Thanks!

tt

Kruzseeka,

We will be in Koper in September.

How long is the bus ride to Piran? Do the buses run fairly regularly (e.g., hourly or ??)?

Thanks!

tt

Here is a link to the local bus service from Koper to Piran - if you click at the bottom for 'find a return' it gives the Piran to koper times. As you can see it's quite frequent (although the one we caught was running a bit late - a local lady was waiting for it so we knew it was expected!). It takes about 45 minutes. Our perception travelling through Portoroz was that Piran was more interesting - but it's quite possible to get off at Portoroz for an hour or so on the way back as well should it appeal.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=sl&u=http://www.vozni-red.si/bus.php%3Fx%3DKoper%26y%3DPiran&ei=p8JTTPOsB4r60wTt_8H_Ag&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCoQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpiran%2Bkoper%2Bbus%2Bservice%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DnZl%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26prmd%3Dm

And here is an extract from the review I did on our return which will help you find the bus stop. (There is a tourist information stand on the quayside we asked them for a map and for them to mark the bus stop on it.)

It’s Sunday for this port call, so it’s very quiet although there’s a warm welcome at this destination. A small band play in local dress, some small souvenir stalls and a tourist information stand are quayside. You just walk off the ship here into the old town. On the day we went there was a local food/wine tasting market (don’t know whether this is a weekly feature though) which provided some character and colour to the town. There are some cafes around but not much in the way of shops – but a pleasant place for a stroll through the old town (interesting square with palace – although not much in the palace to see)

This year we did a DiY excursion on local buses to Piran. If you ask at the tourist deck on the dock, they will give you a map showing where the bus stop is and you can pull up the timetable from tourist information for local bus services for Koper on the web. I think it was the 9.15 bus we went to catch. You walk around to the right from the berth, follow the walls around and when you see a main road in front of you going off to the right, the bus stop can be seen about 50m along this road – there is no need to cross over – that’s where you are dropped on the way back. It cost 3.10E (one way) but took us through Izola and Portoroz on the way so was like a sight-seeing tour. Piran is at the end of the line and the bus picks you up at the same place you’re dropped off. Piran was lovely – an old town but with much more of a ‘buzz’ than the sleepy Koper. You can walk around the promontory, up to the church for great views and there are cafes in the square (also a lovely chocolate shop!). We had a nice coffee at the café/bar (Neptune Café) where the bus waits and there is free internet access there if you buy a drink. We didn’t notice that until the bus was due to go but may be useful for someone else. It was very easy to do this on your own on public transport so no need to pay for an excursion unless this is your preferred way of going.

If you search for the tourist information site on Piran there are some lovely views of the town.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Koper is a nice town but quite small and I think it's a good idea to travel a bit further afield. A couple of hours sightseeing here is probably more than enough. We visited Ljubljana from Koper too and thought the scenery lovely and the city very interesting and attractive. The second time we went there we took the local bus service to Piran. It's a scenic route going through Izola and Portoroz along the way and only 3.10E if I remember correctly. Piran is the end of the line so you catch the bus back where you got off. Piran is great - larger and more impressive than Koper itself. We walked around the seafront, climbed to the church for fabulous views and had a coffee in one of the many cafes. Try the chocolates from the chocolate shop in the Square too - recommended!

THANKS for this and other helpful info on this thread! Koper seems a little "average". I'm interested in Ljubljana and/or Piran. For a cruise stop of only 8 am to 5 pm, how realistic is it in going to the Slovenia capital and back in that one day? Is it worth it? Or, would it be better to focus on Piran. Or, has anyone done Lipica and its Stud Farm, birthplace of the world-renowned Lipizzaner horse? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

THANKS for this and other helpful info on this thread! Koper seems a little "average". I'm interested in Ljubljana and/or Piran. For a cruise stop of only 8 am to 5 pm, how realistic is it in going to the Slovenia capital and back in that one day? Is it worth it? Or, would it be better to focus on Piran. Or, has anyone done Lipica and its Stud Farm, birthplace of the world-renowned Lipizzaner horse? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

Hi Terry,

Our stop at Koper was a for very similar period to that which you have - so yes, either a trip to Ljubljana or Piran very possible - we have done both on two separate visits and on both occasions had an hour or two to wander around Koper afterwards too. As to whether you could do both - I suppose so but you may need a taxi/tour firm rather than public transport and I wonder whether you would find it all a bit rushed. The two destinations are in opposite directions although Piran isn't far distant from the port - perhaps only 20 minutes by taxi compared with the local bus.

I've just looked up our destinations guide and found that the excursion to Ljubljana was a 6 hour trip and it says that the drive to the capital is approx 1.5 hours each way. We had a 75 minute walking tour of Ljubljana (easy going - flat and compact centre) then had free time when we relaxed having a coffee by the riverside (lots of cafes here) and a wander round the local craft market with lots of beautiful local glassware- this was on a Sunday so I'm not sure if that is a regular feature. The drive I seem to remember was scenic so we very much enjoyed the trip. I'm sure you will have been researching these destinations carefully but these pics give a good impression of Ljubljana. The Old Town is small really we felt we had plenty of time there without feeling rushed but very pretty and with a good atmosphere.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=ljubljana&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=UTlVTNGUOpGUjAfe9ZjDBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CE8QsAQwBQ&biw=1280&bih=587

Piran is a different kind of place - has some similarities to Korcula if you have been there. Again, it's quite an interesting journey going through other places on the way - Izola, Portoroz - and with some views of the coastline. There's ample time to get from Koper and back. The bus service is frequent and we had a fairly leisurely wander around Piran (it's quite small), staying about a couple of hours including a refreshment break. We were back in Koper well before 2pm. Perhaps we should have dropped off at Portoroz for an hour or so on our return journey - there would be plenty of time. You can make that judgement as to whether you feel it's worth it on your outward journey as you do get a feel for the place as you pass through on the way to Piran.

In case you haven't seen these, here are some pics of Piran.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&q=piran&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=cjlVTKCpB4W6jAfl4tmIAg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQsAQwAw&biw=1280&bih=587

Having looked at both sets of photos again, I'm reminded of how much we loved both excursions. It's really hard to say which I'd recommend over the other - you will see from the pics both have their merits. I asked my DH what he thought and after some considerable time, he elected for Ljubljana - my initial reaction had been Piran - but probably having discussed it further, it I think Ljubljana may be the preferred trip too. You get something a little different from the coastal locations. It really depends on your preferences and also where else you are visiting. Perhaps if you are going to Dubrovnik/Korcula/Kotor or similar Ljubljana would be a contrast.

Sorry can't help with the Lipica and stud farm trip - haven't done that one.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a great trip! Happy planning! :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Hi Terry, Our stop at Koper was a for very similar period to that which you have - so yes, either a trip to Ljubljana or Piran very possible - we have done both on two separate visits and on both occasions had an hour or two to wander around Koper afterwards too. Having looked at both sets of photos again, I'm reminded of how much we loved both excursions. It's really hard to say which I'd recommend over the other - you will see from the pics both have their merits. I asked my DH what he thought and after some considerable time, he elected for Ljubljana - my initial reaction had been Piran - but probably having discussed it further, it I think Ljubljana may be the preferred trip too. Perhaps if you are going to Dubrovnik/Korcula/Kotor or similar Ljubljana would be a contrast. Whatever you decide I hope you have a great trip! Happy planning! :)

THANKS to our UK friend on the experiences on both of these places! Both options sound super great. Our bigger question is figuring out which of two cruise options to do. Both depart from and return to Venice with Seabourn. Each one would have a sea/marina day in what is called Triluke Bay in Croatia.

How do you compare and rate these two different “collections” of port stops? Which stops/ports would be the "SUPER STARS" for these two different cruise options?

June 10-17 has a variety of stops starting in Ravenna, Italy with its Byzantine mosaics, then doing Korcula Island/Croatia, Kotor/Montenegro, Sibenick/Croatia and Opatija/Croatia. There would be 47 hours in the five ports for this cruise.

June 17-24 has the five ports of Koper/Slovenia, Dubrovnik/Croatia, Split/Croatia, Hvar/Croatia and Rovinj/Croatia. This includes until 11 pm in the ports of Split and Rovinj. There would be 57 hours in these ports with this cruise option

Appreciate your sharing any other experiences or ideas. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS to our UK friend on the experiences on both of these places! Both options sound super great. Our bigger question is figuring out which of two cruise options to do. Both depart from and return to Venice with Seabourn. Each one would have a sea/marina day in what is called Triluke Bay in Croatia.

How do you compare and rate these two different “collections” of port stops? Which stops/ports would be the "SUPER STARS" for these two different cruise options?

June 10-17 has a variety of stops starting in Ravenna, Italy with its Byzantine mosaics, then doing Korcula Island/Croatia, Kotor/Montenegro, Sibenick/Croatia and Opatija/Croatia. There would be 47 hours in the five ports for this cruise.

June 17-24 has the five ports of Koper/Slovenia, Dubrovnik/Croatia, Split/Croatia, Hvar/Croatia and Rovinj/Croatia. This includes until 11 pm in the ports of Split and Rovinj. There would be 57 hours in these ports with this cruise option

Appreciate your sharing any other experiences or ideas. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hello again Terry,

Now you really are posing difficult questions for me!! Mainly because I've only ever been to Kotor, Koper, Korcula, Dubrovnik and Split - all superb destinations really (but shared between your two options). But out of those I know, perhaps Koper itself is not so impressive but then the trips we've been discussing to either Ljubljana or Piran I would definitely recommend which then elevates it to an excellent port of call too. In other words, a destination from which to venture a little further afield.

If you haven't been to Kotor, it's stunning especially the sail-in which is just like the lower fjords in Norway. Quite atmospheric, beautiful and awesome in the true sense of the word. And the Mediaeval walled town itself has a lovely 'feel'.

Dubrovnik whilst very touristy is extremely impressive - we've been two years running walking the walls each time we enjoyed it so much.

I really couldn't choose between them partly because some of the ports we don't know but of those we do know, I just love! The Croatian coastline is just beautiful and I know Hvar and Rovinj are popular holiday destinations.

Perhaps the first itinerary would be a bit more off the beaten track for mass market cruises/holidaymakers. They aren't familiar to me - perhaps suited more to smaller ships and quieter. Perhaps worth investigating that aspect if it matters to you. Certainly the second itinerary have a higher proportion of 'big hitters' from the tourist point of view - but of course that doesn't necessarily make them more attractive! We went to Korcula this year for the first time (we'd never heard of it before) but found it really charming.

Oh dear, I fear I've not been of much help! A b-2-b would be just fantastic - and then you wouldn't have to choose at all!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Wouldn't that be great! But what you don't do this time - hopefully you can do next time - it gives you a good excuse for another cruise - as though any of us on here need one! :D

Anyway, good luck with your deliberations, Terry. I'll be interested to know what you decide in the end - but whichever I'm sure you'll love it - it's a fantastic area to visit. :)

Skyboy-

We are debating whether to do the Lake Bled trip from Koper. Seems like a long time in the car, did you think that Lake Bled was worth the trip. Graehme does not recommend trying to do both Ljubliana and Lake Bled in the same day - which would you pick? Did you do this on Seabourn?

Jan

Thats funny that he did not recommend doing both as we had a great day and did not think it was too rushed. We spent about an hour walking around Ljubljana then drove to Lake Bled. We toured the castle first and then had a nice lunch and still had about 45 minutes to walk around the lake. It took about an hour and 40 minutes to Koper from Lake Bled without stopping but it was a pretty drive. The only thing I would change is our place for lunch, while it was great I noticed afterwards that there were a few lunch places with great views overlooking the lake and the castle. It was a long day for the driver as he lives near Lake Bled but for us it was perfect. We even had time when we got back to walk around Koper for a little while.

Hello again Terry, Now you really are posing difficult questions for me!! Mainly because I've only ever been to Kotor, Koper, Korcula, Dubrovnik and Split - all superb destinations really (but shared between your two options). But out of those I know, perhaps Koper itself is not so impressive but then the trips we've been discussing to either Ljubljana or Piran I would definitely recommend which then elevates it to an excellent port of call too. If you haven't been to Kotor, it's stunning especially the sail-in which is just like the lower fjords in Norway. Quite atmospheric, beautiful and awesome in the true sense of the word. And the Mediaeval walled town itself has a lovely 'feel'. Dubrovnik whilst very touristy is extremely impressive - we've been two years running walking the walls each time we enjoyed it so much. I really couldn't choose between them partly because some of the ports we don't know but of those we do know, I just love! The Croatian coastline is just beautiful and I know Hvar and Rovinj are popular holiday destinations. Perhaps the first itinerary would be a bit more off the beaten track for mass market cruises/holidaymakers. They aren't familiar to me - perhaps suited more to smaller ships and quieter. Perhaps worth investigating that aspect if it matters to you. Certainly the second itinerary have a higher proportion of 'big hitters' from the tourist point of view - but of course that doesn't necessarily make them more attractive! We went to Korcula this year for the first time (we'd never heard of it before) but found it really charming. A b-2-b would be just fantastic - and then you wouldn't have to choose at all!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Anyway, good luck with your deliberations, Terry. I'll be interested to know what you decide in the end - but whichever I'm sure you'll love it - it's a fantastic area to visit. :)

THANKS for the added comments, details and reactions! A back-to-back would be nice. It would "save" $1200 to do that booking, but it costs $3800 more to achieve that "savings". I'll keep thinking and researching. Will let you know how it all works out. Don't be shy if others have had experiences and thoughts from this area. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS for the added comments, details and reactions! A back-to-back would be nice. It would "save" $1200 to do that booking, but it costs $3800 more to achieve that "savings". I'll keep thinking and researching. Will let you know how it all works out. Don't be shy if others have had experiences and thoughts from this area. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Ouch!!! That's a lot of extra to make some savings. :eek: It's a bit how my logic works when I go to the sales - and justify my 'bargains' to DH - but that's on a minute scale by comparison. Even I couldn't make a case for that much extra expenditure! You will no doubt enjoy your time in the Adriatic whichever cruise you chose.

Happy planning (I love the research - it all adds to the anticipation) and best wishes.

I thought they were both worth seeing. We were there on a Sunday morning and it was very quiet in Ljubliana. If you go first thing in the morning like we did, it shouldn't be too bad Sat. morning.

Our excursion is with Graeme too...we're in port from 7-6 and Graeme's itinerary for us visiting both Ljubljana and Lake Bled seems quite doable...we even have an hour or so upon our return to Koper to take a look around town. One nice thing about a private tour guide is that you can adjust your itinerary as you go, spending more time (or less) as you'd like.

Will let you all know how it goes.

Hello all... I live in Slovenia, Ljubljana, so I can help you with some info if you need them.

Somebody was asking about Lipica, where the white Lipizzaners come from. It's a nice trip, around 30 min drive from Koper, they have a heard of around 400 horses and also riding school performing (similar to the famous one in Vienna). The place is from 16. century, has some great stallions there you can see. So if u like horses, that's the place to visit.

Slovenia is small, from one end to another, u need aprox. 2h drive. Ljubljana is in the middle, higway all the way from Koper to Ljubljana, so drive is fast. Very old town, with castle in the middle. Ppl lived here since 2000 bc, it was a swamp and houses were on sticks. Also it was roman city, so you can find some ruins. Sunday afternoon is nice, walking by the river, having coffee and so on.

Bled is another 30 min from Ljubljana, also higway, so fast trip. Lake with it's island, and castle is really nice. Also one thing you can see is Postojna cave, very nice, you go in with a train and than walk around stalactites.

And for Terry from Ohio, If you like some art, go for Italia, Ravena is nice, but I'm not sure what to see in Opatija. It's just a coastal city, with hotels and beach, but if you like that, see here is very warm, up to 80s in summer and water is clean, no sharks or anything, so go swimm if u like that :) Dubrovnik and Split is a must see. Hvar and Korcula are islands, with turists and old towns, if u like that, u'll enjoy wandering around, having icecream and buying souvenirs.

Oh, something about Piran and Portoroz. Well Piran has a nice church with a nice view, and some walls around, old part with narrow streets and has a charm, but Portoroz is more turist place, with hotels and casinos and beach. So if u like some walking and just enjoy sun, that's a place to go, you can easy walk from Piran to Portoroz by the water, it's leveled and nice, but not short. :)

Slovenia only has 42 km (26 m) of coast, but it's nice and water very warm so we go there alot, just for fun. Also, if the day is sunny, you can see Alps, they are just an hour away from Koper, Soca valley with green river Soca... :)

Oh yes, and cruise ships are new addition to Koper, they are trying their best to offer as much as they can.

If there are any more info I can help, just ask ;)

Thank you both for all the wonderful information and insight into visiting Slovenia. DH and I will be docking in Koper in Sept and plan to take the bus to Piran.

Loty -- how "long" a walk is it from Piran to Portoroz? Half hour? An hour? It seems like this would be a great way to enjoy the coastline.

Thanks again for all your help!

Terry

:)

Walk by coast is around one hour one way, but very nice. Hope u'll like it here ;) In Portoroz, there is a great icecream in a shop named Mignon, close to beach, by the main road.

Hello all... I live in Slovenia, Ljubljana, so I can help you with some info if you need them.

And for Terry from Ohio, If you like some art, go for Italia, Ravena is nice, but I'm not sure what to see in Opatija. It's just a coastal city, with hotels and beach, but if you like that, see here is very warm, up to 80s in summer and water is clean, no sharks or anything, so go swimm if u like that :) Dubrovnik and Split is a must see. Hvar and Korcula are islands, with turists and old towns, if u like that, u'll enjoy wandering around, having icecream and buying souvenirs.

THANKS for all of the good and great info you have provided! This is very helpful and provide a better picture of these many great options. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Somebody was asking about Lipica, where the white Lipizzaners come from. It's a nice trip, around 30 min drive from Koper, they have a heard of around 400 horses and also riding school performing (similar to the famous one in Vienna). The place is from 16. century, has some great stallions there you can see. So if u like horses, that's the place to visit.

Slovenia is small, from one end to another, u need aprox. 2h drive. Ljubljana is in the middle, higway all the way from Koper to Ljubljana, so drive is fast. Very old town, with castle in the middle. Ppl lived here since 2000 bc, it was a swamp and houses were on sticks. Also it was roman city, so you can find some ruins. Sunday afternoon is nice, walking by the river, having coffee and so on.

Bled is another 30 min from Ljubljana, also higway, so fast trip. Lake with it's island, and castle is really nice. Also one thing you can see is Postojna cave, very nice, you go in with a train and than walk around stalactites.

Oh, something about Piran and Portoroz. Well Piran has a nice church with a nice view, and some walls around, old part with narrow streets and has a charm, but Portoroz is more turist place, with hotels and casinos and beach. So if u like some walking and just enjoy sun, that's a place to go, you can easy walk from Piran to Portoroz by the water, it's leveled and nice, but not short. :)

Slovenia only has 42 km (26 m) of coast, but it's nice and water very warm so we go there alot, just for fun. Also, if the day is sunny, you can see Alps, they are just an hour away from Koper, Soca valley with green river Soca... :)

Oh yes, and cruise ships are new addition to Koper, they are trying their best to offer as much as they can.

If there are any more info I can help, just ask ;)

thank you for the wonderful information. we are planning on the ship excursion to Ljubljana with a river cruise. We are interested in looking around the city and maybe doing a little shopping - it is on a Sunday. I have heard there is a market in town is this true? Are stores open on Sunday?

thank you Kathy