Motion Sickness and Babies?

rin1

Talking to my mother a few days ago, I excitedly mentioned the cruise that I had booked for myself, DH and DD (almost 8 mo at time of cruise). I don't know if she wanted to rain on my parade or what, but my mother asked what I was going to do if DD got seasick. I thought it wouldn't really be an issue since it is not my first cruise and I have gotten a little queasy a few times and taken something for it, but I don't know if she'd be able to take anything (and she sure couldn't tell us what was wrong). I guess I just naturally assumed that since babies are used to be rocked around all the time they don't get seasick. Help?

Does your baby get sick in the car? If not, I highly doubt your baby would get sick or this would be any kind of issue. Our daughter overtime would get car sick and bothered by the seas but this didn't happen when she was a baby.

If you are still worried about this consult with the babys Pediatrician.

Keith

My DD never actually got carsick as an infant but certainly was uncomfortable (and let us know it) on extremely winding roads. She's not comfortable on small boats (and always let us know) but had no issues on the ship (neither as an infant or now as a teen). The movement of the ship is a bit different than other motion sickness inducing movements, but a prediculation for one does increase risk for sea sickness..

As the previous posters said many children will not notice. She will still be young, but if you are concerned and want to be prepared. They make Sea-Bands for children. We went on a South American cruise with DD, she was almost 2.5 at time of cruise. The seas were very rough at times. She was fine, but are the 2 really rough days we let her wear the sea-bands. She could understand the rocking so we called them "balance bracelets." It worked she was preoccupied with other things and was fine.

Your pharmacy can order them or you can order through amazon online. It is a piece of mind and no medicine. They ran small so even at 2.5 years the bands were plenty tight to work if needed.

Enjoy the cruise

Your DD shouldn't experience motion sickness at all. Even at 8 months old, she'll barely be beginning to stand without help... and I can't think of her walking by that time.

A baby's sense of balance isn't developed enough to get confused by the motion of the ship... therefore, motion sickness does NOT occur.

Mostly all seasickness medications do not accommodate children under the age of 2... I suppose Benadryl (diphenhydramine) may be a solution, but the exact dose for that needs to be determined by your pediatrician based on the child's weight.

http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

Benadryl is also used to suppress coughs, to treat motion sickness, to induce sleep, and to treat mild forms of Parkinson's disease.

Still... I doubt you'll even need to go that far... again... development of the child's equilibrium isn't mature enough to get her sick.

Although, someone once suggested ginger snap cookies as a solution for infants with motion sickness. Ginger does work, but it's not too popular with kids.

I am a pediatric nurse practitioner. Babies who cannot walk cannot get seasick. Remember they are used to floating and tubling in water just as they did when they were inside you for 9 months. The nausea center in the brain that controls motion sickness is not fully developed until around 7-8 years old. Young children and infants do not get seasick. Older children do and they make children's bonine for motion sickness. We have traveled with both my kids as infants and even through a hurricaine with 15 ft swells and the boat rocking, neither of my kids were seasick...parents yes..kids not even close. Ask your pediatrician, they will be happy to provide you with advice

Babies do not get sea sick. If they do get sick, it would most likely be from a virus. Afterall, they were bouncing around for 9 months. Also, young children do not usually get sea sick either. As they are always running around in circles all day and are use to it.

Archived