Thoughts on the new QE

blue whale

He has managed to smuggle a message to the outside world using his concierge butler.

Unfortunately his captors managed to confiscate the paper, but I can reveal that the butler, thinking that it was a tip of some kind, had a quick look and fortunately rememebered the first few words . . . ..

"The main problems with this suite are . . . . ."

Oh my, I almost missed the fun. Damned weekend!

While in agony about dear Savoia's fate, let me proceed a bit with some argument.

Recently I had a good laugh with our marketing president in our firm. I explained to him that a cruise line called Cunard was making a promotional video for one of the vessels it was being given sail as their own. In the process, its very small inhouse marketing arm used an image of the Titanic as one of their own vintage vessels for their online assignment. His response was "any firm that can't tell its own product and uses the Titanic instead deserves what it gets".

First, I think this incident was overestimated. Its short appearance in the middle of the movie or its three rather than four funnels, raises even doubts how many people realized that this was the Titanic disguised.

But please allow me to take it to the extreme. I wonder how your marketing president let him escape how powerful the image of the Titanic is to the general public. Cunard presents itself as a heir to the legendary ocean liners and Titanic has perhaps stirred more passion among the public than any other liner ever. Infamous or not, how many romantic female hearts for example would project themselves on board crying for their Leo di Caprio? This brings money. So, I would not even object if Cunard wanted to deliberately use its image :D, let alone a five-seconds disguised pass on a video.

OK, I said 'to the extreme'...;)

So, when giving credit for the experience of Cunard, who exactly at Cunard gets that credit?

Carnival gets it, as it owns Cunard. What's wrong with it?

Carnval bought, 'saved' and developed Cunard within the wider current cruisemarket context. 'If Cunard was independent, if someone else had bought it, if...' Sure, but history is written with facts, not with 'if'.

Whoever saves the boat, owns it.

It is only fair. Period.

As a frequent cruiser noted "Cunard is P&O coming from the opposite direction at twice the price" (compare that statement for yourselves).

Please! With all respect to P&O, Cunard is not P&O. If only for the visual environment, if you wish, which to me counts much. If you haven't sailed both, please see some photos and decide for yourself.

So today, I

'Then the murderer proceeded. But it was rather like Agatha Christi's Orient Express. He was given one stab from any Cunard lover he had brought to despair.'

any Cunard lover he had brought to despair.'

Not so much despair as hilarity.

Most critics find the odd fault here, the odd failing there.

But they are feeble folk compared to the redoubtable Savoia, who conjures mountains of anguish out of molehills of similarities...... castles of condemnation out of trivialities of co-marketing.

DO YOU KNOW - CUNARD EVEN USE THE SAME ALPHABET AS P&O!!!

And the genius is....he's never been closer than his computer screen!

Goodness knows what he'd actually say if he ever set foot on one

I have a question. Does Cunard have any actual "Cunard" employees? Or is "Cunard" simply a brand name? I believe most of the people who work on the ships are contract employees, including the wait staff, cabin stewards, sales and entertainment staffs. I wouldn't be surprised if the officers are actually employed by an entity other than Cunard.

I have a question. Does Cunard have any actual "Cunard" employees? Or is "Cunard" simply a brand name? I believe most of the people who work on the ships are contract employees, including the wait staff, cabin stewards, sales and entertainment staffs. I wouldn't be surprised if the officers are actually employed by an entity other than Cunard.

Interesting question. Isn't Peter Shanks is President & Marketing Director of Cunard? Maybe he's the only Cunard employee:D:D:D

Not quite sure what it means, but the following was quoted from http://www.cunard.com/en-US/About-Cunard-Line/Company-Profile/

Cunard Line is one of the world's most recognised brand names in ocean travel with a classic British heritage and is part of Carnival Corporation and PLC.

-Salacia

BTW, what is "classic British heritage"?

Well, its not Contemporary British heritage, obviously!

You know, when Britain was the workshop of the world and built its own liners without outsourcing them to foreigners......:confused:

And there it is.

Recently I had a good laugh with our marketing president in our firm. I explained to him that a cruise line called Cunard was making a promotional video for one of the vessels it was being given sail as their own. In the process, its very small inhouse marketing arm used an image of the Titanic as one of their own vintage vessels for their online assignment. His response was "any firm that can't tell its own product and uses the Titanic instead deserves what it gets".

WOW!:eek: You really are a piece of work darling! Long live CUNARD :D

Cunard does not have any employees.

Simply because a company or line or legal entity by the name of "Cunard" does not exist anymore.

If you look at the small print you can even read it in your contract. For example in the British version:

.... "Cunard" means Carnival plc ....

This is simple sad truth. When Carnival bought Cunard they allowed Cunard to exist for a short period of time but later changed it. In the early 2000's captains where still employed by Cunard, stewards had contracts with Cunard, Cunard had its own line of management etc.

Yet, by the mid 2000's Carnival dissolved Cunard.

Nowadays everybody is employed by another entity (one reason why we have all the non-Cunard captains etc). All decisions are taken by people without a Cunard heritage.

All left of Cunard is a mere brand.

I hate to be pedantic but there are companies called Cunard.

I you look at http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/04ce13b22de4299cb90151427ffa0f37/companysearch?disp=1&frfsh=1280179741#result

You will find two companies registered in Bermuda who claim to be a cruise operator:

Cunard Line Limited (which still operates)

Cunard White Star Limited (which has been removed)

It is quite normal for large companies to retain (or even re-name) a company with the name of an absorbed subsidary since that is the easiest method of preserving the trade mark.

Peter

Well, enough of all this sadness....I am going to my happy place :) (chant)

'there's no place like CUNARD'

OK...all better now :D

Very well said!

I love being on Cunard ships, and I appreciate the staff and the experience I have on board their ships. I really don't mind if the new QE is just another Vista Class ship, and the design is not a true original. I am not sure I really understand who and what Cunard is/are these days, but the same is true of many facets of life today. As long as they serve Milky Way Martinis in the Commodore Club I'm OK.

I have learned much from all your postings. Thank you.

Can someone who has sailed often on a queen compare life on a queen to life on a HAL flagship such as Amsterdam: food, entertainment, cabin, people, dress code? We are seriously considering the world cruise on QE in 2012, and want info before committing to so many days on a ship.

We are seriously considering the world cruise on QE in 2012, and want info before committing to so many days on a ship.

I think quite a lot will depend on whether you are planning to sail in Britannia or one of the Grills. In the Grills the service and food will be very different from HAL, in Britannia, less so.

Which ever restaurant you are sailing in, those who have sailed on HAL Vistas and Queen Victoria (which Queen Elizabeth is a close sister of) report a greater sense of space on Queen Victoria, in part because Cunard have chosen to make a number of rooms two decks high (eg the Queen's Room), vs two one deck high rooms on top of each other in HAL.

In terms of 'formality' - Cunard will be more formal than HAL.

However, before you commit to a World Cruise - might it not be worthwhile taking a short(ish - the very short voyages are often not representative!) voyage on each ship to see how you feel?

Thank you, GuernseyG.

We have done three world cruises with HAL, and are contemplating doing one with Cunard. We are thinking that change is important.

BW

But if Cunard does not exist does this world cruise exist? If I am on one of the ships do I still exist? :confused:

Savoia, was your marketing president edging nervously towards the door as he answered you? :D

Can someone who has sailed often on a queen compare life on a queen to life on a HAL flagship such as Amsterdam: food, entertainment, cabin, people, dress code?

Hi blue whale,

Our experience comes from Rotterdam, almost identical sister to Amsterdam. Both, as you know, are considered by Holland America as their flagships - which is somewhat strange, considering that HAL Vistas are not only larger but also generally better than them and the new 'Signatures' are even better. Writing below, I assume that you would travel Britannia Class. If not, please specify.

Food: HAL has bigger portions of food, following obvviously the American style. Cunard, even in Britannia Restaurant, appeared to us to have more quality in its food.

Entertainment: For shows we preferred Cunard hands down. And the Theatre on Queen Elizabeth, similar to this on Queen Victoria, is unparalleled. You can also experience that most civilized ceremony of the private boxes, not to be found on any other cruise company.

Bear in mind that Cunard offers a more cerebral and refined (sorry to those who don't like this word :D) type of entertainment. Classical concerts, harp and piano, great dancing in Cunard's glorious ballrooms with the largest stages afloat, contrast to a more relaxed style of entertainment elsewhere - including HAL.

Interestingly, we noticed that HAL passengers tend to retire earlier than Cunard's.

Cabin: Our standard outside cabin in HAL was perfect. Attention to detail everywhere. Large window has the same size of one of a QE cabin, in case you are interested in an oceanview cabin. There was not only flat screen TV (LG) in HAL cabin, but DVD as well (Cunard does not have it in Britannia). Storage space in both companies is ample - QE has also drawers under the beds. HAL's bathroom was better hands down. HAL has bathtubes almost in all cabins except the inside ones, while Cunard has only showers in Britannia. More storage space in HAL's bathroom, too.

That aside, we settled well and did not miss anything in Cunard staterooms.

People: Both companies are known for attracting an elderly clientele, although recently we have witnessed more young people on board.

Dress code: The 'important matter' again :). Cunard is much more formal than HAL. Evenings on HAL passed unnoticed, as their Smart Casual nights require almost nothing special.

But in Cunard even in Elegant Casual nights, gentlemen are required to wear a jacket (no tie). Ladies also tend to dress elegantly even during those nights. Cunard also has Informal nights (HAL does not), where a jacket with tie is required. Last, during Formal nights you will find much more Cunard gentlemen wearing a tuxedo than HAL ones, although just a dark suit with tie is OK. Ladies are invited to wear long gowns or skirts, creating a beautiful visual environment.

However, don't let yourself be intimidated by the potential burden of clothes. With some appropriate combinations, you will need much less clothing space in your suitcase travelling on Cunard than you would on other cruise companies. This is our experience.

As you may realize, Cunard nights are much more fun, colourful and atmospheric than HAL's, as the British company honours its ocean liner heritage, when formal was the norm.

Decor. Dress code complements graciously Cunard's fine decor. In terms of interior decor, Cunard wins hands down. Just beautiful. Although QE is not completed yet, based on her sister Queen Victoria's magnificent interior design (to me a step up to QM2's), we are entitled to expect the best. HAL's decor was relaxed with much attention to detail, but some

places were of somewhat dubious aesthetics. This was one of the main reasons that we did not continue to travel on HAL after our Rotterdam cruise.

Service. Both companies offer nice service. HAL's service was very friendly, and those Indonesian crew deserve much praise. But the same goes to the Filippino staff in Cunard. So many times we have been pleasantly surprised by their willingness to help... Generally we have never had big issues regarding service in either company.

Concluding, this is my personal view of course, but if I had to choose between HAL and QE I would prefer Cunard without second thought. HAL is a great company, 'a tradition of excellence' indeed if you ask me, but as I have said Cunard does it better in terms of decor and ambience, transforming a common cruise to a more festive experience. Especially now that Queen Elizabeth is a brand new ship, making her first World Cruise.

Hi blue whale,

Our experience comes from Rotterdam, almost identical sister to Amsterdam. Both, as you know, are considered by Holland America as their flagships - which is somewhat strange, considering that HAL Vistas are not only larger but also generally better than them and the new 'Signatures' are even better. Writing below, I assume that you would travel Britannia Class. If not, please specify.

Food: HAL has bigger portions of food, following obvviously the American style. Cunard, even in Britannia Restaurant, appeared to us to have more quality in its food.

Entertainment: For shows we preferred Cunard hands down. And the Theatre on Queen Elizabeth, similar to this on Queen Victoria, is unparalleled. You can also experience that most civilized ceremony of the private boxes, not to be found on any other cruise company.

Bear in mind that Cunard offers a more cerebral and refined (sorry to those who don't like this word :D) type of entertainment. Classical concerts, harp and piano, great dancing in Cunard's glorious ballrooms with the largest stages afloat, contrast to a more relaxed style of entertainment elsewhere - including HAL.

Interestingly, we noticed that HAL passengers tend to retire earlier than Cunard's.

Cabin: Our standard outside cabin in HAL was perfect. Attention to detail everywhere. Large window has the same size of one of a QE cabin, in case you are interested in an oceanview cabin. There was not only flat screen TV (LG) in HAL cabin, but DVD as well (Cunard does not have it in Britannia). Storage space in both companies is ample - QE has also drawers under the beds. HAL's bathroom was better hands down. HAL has bathtubes almost in all cabins except the inside ones, while Cunard has only showers in Britannia. More storage space in HAL's bathroom, too.

That aside, we settled well and did not miss anything in Cunard staterooms.

People: Both companies are known for attracting an elderly clientele, although recently we have witnessed more young people on board.

Dress code: The 'important matter' again :). Cunard is much more formal than HAL. Evenings on HAL passed unnoticed, as their Smart Casual nights require almost nothing special.

But in Cunard even in Elegant Casual nights, gentlemen are required to wear a jacket (no tie). Ladies also tend to dress elegantly even during those nights. Cunard also has Informal nights (HAL does not), where a jacket with tie is required. Last, during Formal nights you will find much more Cunard gentlemen wearing a tuxedo than HAL ones, although just a dark suit with tie is OK. Ladies are invited to wear long gowns or skirts, creating a beautiful visual environment.

However, don't let yourself be intimidated by the potential burden of clothes. With some appropriate combinations, you will need much less clothing space in your suitcase travelling on Cunard than you would on other cruise companies. This is our experience.

As you may realize, Cunard nights are much more fun, colourful and atmospheric than HAL's, as the British company honours its ocean liner heritage, when formal was the norm.

Decor. Dress code complements graciously Cunard's fine decor. In terms of interior decor, Cunard wins hands down. Just beautiful. Although QE is not completed yet, based on her sister Queen Victoria's magnificent interior design (to me a step up to QM2's), we are entitled to expect the best. HAL's decor was relaxed with much attention to detail, but some

places were of somewhat dubious aesthetics. This was one of the main reasons that we did not continue to travel on HAL after our Rotterdam cruise.

Service. Both companies offer nice service. HAL's service was very friendly, and those Indonesian crew deserve much praise. But the same goes to the Filippino staff in Cunard. So many times we have been pleasantly surprised by their willingness to help... Generally we have never had big issues regarding service in either company.

Concluding, this is my personal view of course, but if I had to choose between HAL and QE I would prefer Cunard without second thought. HAL is a great company, 'a tradition of excellence' indeed if you ask me, but as I have said Cunard does it better in terms of decor and ambience, transforming a common cruise to a more festive experience. Especially now that Queen Elizabeth is a brand new ship, making her first World Cruise.

That really is very useful Robert, informative and well written. I'm not likely to sail with HAL but I enjoyed reading your views on both Lines, a BIG thank you from me.

I have sailed on QV and agree with your comments about the astounding theatre, THE room on board and, I would have thought, quite unbeatable on any other ship (save QE!). Although, before boarding, I'd seen pictures of it (and took loads myself, available via the link below) I was bowled over when I entered for the first time, far better than most theatres on land and the equal to many in the "west end". Whilst I much prefer QM2 to QV (to me they don't come close, QM2 is unique) the theatre is one place where QV stands out as being far better. I had to remind myself time and again that this was on a ship...

Thanks again, very best wishes

) the theatre is one place where QV stands out as being far better. I had to remind myself time and again that this was on a ship...

Thanks again, very best wishes

Do you consider this to be a good thing Pepper and do you feel this way on other parts of the vessel? ( A serious question by the way.)

An Interested Gari

Thank you, Mr. Graves, for your in depth analysis. We are seriously considering the QE's world for 2012. We are already booked with HAL for winter of 2011, doing the circumnavigation of South America. We like the itinerary of the Queen over that of HAL in 2012, for HAL does the east coast of SA and Antarctica, which we are doing in 2011. Also we can get a balcony cabin for a little less on the Queen, and we can sail out of NYC and back to NYC on the Mary, which would make for a nice change, too.

Again, thank you,

Blue Whale

Archived