Thoughts on the new QE

blue whale

the area on QV where there is a table and chairs at the bottom of the spiral stairs, had been fitted with more bookcases instead

Queen Victoria:

18940_lowres.jpg

Queen Elizabeth:

19370_lowres.jpg

Not sure if I'm too upset about more books in a Library

Not sure if I'm too upset about more books in a Library

Hi Peter

Point taken! However, I like the "club-like" atmosphere and layout of the seating areas in the Library on QM2 (both the starboard wing and central sofas and chairs) and was pleased to enjoy something similar on QV, esp for studying the "reference only" books.

I must make sure to get to the Library on QE early to get a seat!

Very best wishes and thanks,

I think we'd already heard that Steiner were to run the spa (remember them from QE2 days....not sure this is progress...) but Seatrade Insider are reporting that there will be

Fortnum & Mason

Harris Tweed

Clogau Gold

Aspinal of London.[/List]

Onboard QE.

Nice idea I think introducing fine brands from the UK.

Originally Posted by USA Today

Still, Cunard has tinkered with a number of the rooms on Queen Elizabeth. The Britannia restaurant, for instance, has a grand staircase descending directly into the middle of the room -- a departure from the Queen Victoria's main dining room where the staircase is on the side. Shanks says the more prominent stairway "brings more history and tradition to the room."

The history and tradition of what?

The history and tradition of what?

la grande descente?

Which is of course, part of the history and tradition of The French Line

Cunard were far too sensible to have their First Class Passengers negotiate a staircase in public view on a pitching, rolling and heaving express liner......

Exactly what I was thinking ;)

I've been trying to remember, did 'la grande descente' start with the SS France (II) of 1912, or the SS Paris of 1921:

Salle_paris.jpg

Or was it before either of those?

I know both Cunard & White Star kept views of tottering passengers clinging onto hand rails like grim death, far from the view of diners, in stair towers and lobbies adjacent to, but not clearly visible from, the dining rooms, even when they had dining rooms spanning two decks as on Mauretania & Lusitania.

When you think about it 'la grande descente' really is a very silly idea...much more likely to be 'la grande chute'.......

When you think about it 'la grande descente' really is a very silly idea...much more likely to be 'la grande chute'.......

That is true, providing that they did not offer an alternative way for passengers to reach their dining table level without descenting the grand stairs.

But joking aside, could they be so fool not to provide it? A proper question for an ocean liner lover. I am now looking at a 1962 deck plan of SS France. Just behind the 'grand staircase', outside of the 1st Class Restaurant, are two 1st Class elevators and an 'Up' stair. So, clearly one could overlook the 'grande descente' if one so wished.

Of course I do not know what happened on 1912 France or the Paris.

If an alternative way was provided, in bad weather the grandiose staircase would work only as a decorative element of 'grandeur'. Not bad a 'stylistic' innovation, I think. Mr Shanks readily and rightly exploits it now on QE.

And I imagine some nights of a Transatlantic voyage would involve calm seas. Then a 'grande descente' would be an easy-to-do 'must' for those chic Parisien mademoiselles et madames, to the enjoyment of all diners. Just like what we have sometimes witnessed on QM2 Britannia formal nights.

Me too :). Perhaps they add more books to QE's Library to have the same number of volumes as the one on QM2 (?).

No - from the latest video on the WeAreCunard blog looks like the computer graphic is wrong and the downstairs area on QE is open as on QV - no extra shelves & no extra books (6,000, same as QV/QE2) - far short of the 9000 on QM2.....

No - from the latest video on the WeAreCunard blog looks like the computer graphic is wrong and the downstairs area on QE is open as on QV - no extra shelves & no extra books (6,000, same as QV/QE2) - far short of the 9000 on QM2.....

Thanks, Peter. Perhaps it would be a pity to sacrifice that space in order to provide even more books. I agree with Pepper that a ship's library has a social function too, so it needs a club-like 'reading room'. And what a beauty this on QV is...

More importantly, 6,000 volumes are already great for a floating library, given to what happens in the wider cruise market. I suspect that maybe no other cruise company offers a library with 6,000 books. :cool: Let alone QM2's 9,000 ones...

This can be obtained by personal experience of the original Queen Mary in Long Beach, which I had the good fortune to stay on last year. Comparisons were inevitable. Venues like the Queens Room tend to 'convince' you that QV is really an heir to great Cunarders of the past, not just a PR ploy.

I lived in Long Beach for a time, each morning I strolled on the beach at Belmont Shore and gazed across the water at the three funnels of the Queen Mary. During my time there I walked QM’s decks and felt privileged to be able to explore such a famous ship. I was pleased to see what had survived from her days as a transatlantic liner (and shocked to see what hadn’t). It is obvious that her internal “look” provided inspiration for QM2’s designers and overall themes for QV. It will be interesting to see if the new “art deco” QE looks more like QM than her “Victorian” sister (strangely, I noted a lot about QV that reminded me of QE2 more than anything else!)

The annex itself is not that bad, as it creates an independent space to sit and read a book for example Besides, it could arguably somehow compensate for the loss of the Chart Room on the new QE by creating a bar there.

Just what I was thinking! The area would get more use than it does on QV at present.

Interestingly the Queens Rooms on both QV and QE2 had the same length, so that of QE2 could accommodate more passengers.

You’re right of course, by “borrowing” the perimeter promenades the size of the Queens Room on QE2 was greatly increased, just as Michael Inchbald intended. A versatile room, it could be intimate with a few drapes closed, or open to the promenades with a feeling of infinite space.

The Club is the heir to QE2's Caronia and I only wish it was so large as that was.

Agreed. And, from my experience of dining in the Caronia Restaurant, passengers in the Britannia Club will be very fortunate indeed if the service there comes even close to that which I enjoyed, I’ve yet to experience better on land or at sea.

a frequent accusation of QV is that her Britannia Restaurant is not so dramatic as QM2's; that it is really not a double-deck restaurant but two restaurants on two decks, because of the 'small' central well.

I am guilty of saying that myself. QM2’s feels like one restaurant on two decks. QV’s felt like two restaurants on two decks joined by a narrow slot.

QV's Britannia has the most restaurant-space for passenger of any Vista Class ship or derivative. Not only just a little space is lost to create the well, but even more space is saved by the absense of the Grill passengers as well. Free space in Britannia will become even more abundant with the introduction of the Club on QE. Great for tables-for-two seekers.

Excellent points well made! I’d not thought of it in quite this way. I did think the QV Britannia was spacious (esp once you were well back into the room). I liked the sea views along the starboard side and over the stern. I was disappointed that the galley intrudes along the port side so much, blocking the view. But I was lucky enough to be seated near one of the very few windows on the port side, so I did have a view of the ocean, unlike the passengers forward of me who did not. I liked the room more than I was expecting, and the service was excellent.

Thanks, I agree with Pepper that a ship's library has a social function too, so it needs a club-like 'reading room'. And what a beauty this on QV is...

I couldn’t agree more! Up on Deck 3, it reminded me of the library on QE2 with a promenade beyond the windows. I am so pleased that an almost identical room will be on QE as well. It is one of the best spaces on QV.

More importantly, 6,000 volumes are already great for a floating library, given to what happens in the wider cruise market. I suspect that maybe no other cruise company offers a library with 6,000 books. Let alone QM2's 9,000 ones...

Just one of the many things that sets Cunard apart from other shipping lines. Real luxury, a huge sea going library. I understand that many cruise ships either have no library at all or a small cupboard of tatty paperbacks that passes for one. Not for me thank you.

Very best wishes and thanks.

la grande descente?

Which is of course, part of the history and tradition of The French Line

Cunard were far too sensible to have their First Class Passengers negotiate a staircase in public view on a pitching, rolling and heaving express liner......

Just as well really. When the Queen Mary was first put into service the then Cunard management believed there was no need for hand rails to be fitted or for the heavy furniture to be tied down. In her first winter, her Cabin, Tourist and Tourist Third passengers were forced to negotiate a liner that could roll up to 30 degrees from the vertical in a very public fashion. On one occaision, 25 ambulances met her at Southampton. Therafter, workmen were quietly sent on board to fix both hand rails and the ensure the heavy furniture was lashed down.

This at a time without any stabilisers or Dramamine.... Lovely..

One interesting fact about her capacity to roll the milk out of a cup tea was tbd author Paul Gallicoa. Allegedly, he got the inspiration for the Posiedon Adventure whilst on board on a North Atlantic trooping voyage during the war.

in varying degrees.

in varying degrees?

in varying degrees?

in varying degrees?

You disappoint me! I thought they were Identical!

Good grief, you'll be allowing that someone from P&O/Princess/Cunardival has been creative next.....!

Archived