Different time zones?

laxfanmom1

Can anyone tell me if Greece and Turkey are in the same time zone as Italy? I am scheduling several private tours for our group and I know that the ship will always stay with Italy time. I need to let the tour operators know what time to pick us up. We will also be in Egypt if anyone knows which time zone they are in. Thanks!

You will be advised on board when the ship moves into different time zones so that you can reset your watch or clock. They usually leave a note in your cabin at night, advising you to move your watch/clock ahead or back 1 hour. This could happen a few times during your cruise depending on how many times you enter a new time zone.

You just need to tell the tour operators what time to pick you up at the local time.

Here's a site that you can check to see what time it is in different parts of the world.

p.s. The time on board will change as well and doesn't stay in "Italy" time.

Can anyone tell me if Greece and Turkey are in the same time zone as Italy? I am scheduling several private tours for our group and I know that the ship will always stay with Italy time. I need to let the tour operators know what time to pick us up. We will also be in Egypt if anyone knows which time zone they are in. Thanks!

Some one with much more experience in these things said, "Tour operators are knowledgeable in meeting groups from ships. They will know when the ship arrives and about how long it takes to disembark."

We definitely kept local time throughout our cruise last year. We were told when to change our watches. It is a good thing because I had arranged tours in almost every port. The tour operators were always there on time, so you might say things worked like clockwork!

I may be mistaken about the ship staying with "Italy time". I believe that the ships that tour around in the Caribbean stay with the time of whatever port they leave from. I thought it would be the same in the Med but apparently it's not.

I have never heard of a ship sailng europe that does not adopt to local time when you are in port.

Keith

Me neither, that's why I queried which cruise line it is. I think the OP will find that the ship will change to the local times.

I believe that the ships that tour around in the Caribbean stay with the time of whatever port they leave from.

I don't think this is true. On my 8 Caribbean cruises, we changed time when needed on every cruise. Much easier to work with the locals.

Yes, I have heard some ships don't always change time. But I think this is a fairly small number.

For those that sail round trip west of Rome, say to Barcelona, there is no time change going that way, correct? So one might think one time zone applies to all of the Med based on that experience.

For those that sail round trip west of Rome, say to Barcelona, there is no time change going that way, correct? So one might think one time zone applies to all of the Med based on that experience.

Rome and Barcelona are indeed in the same time zone. It's when you go east to Greece, Turkey or Egypt that you're in another time zone, one hour ahead.

I have never heard of a ship sailng europe that does not adopt to local time when you are in port.

Keith

I agree that normally ships do adopt local time, but I have come one instance of this not happening - in unexpected circumstances. We were on Fred Olsen's Braemar, and were due to call at Guensey in the Channel Islands. That port is on UK time, and so therefore was the ship. In the event the captain decided very late (possibly after arrving at Guernsay in the very early hours) that it was too risky to attempt to tender there, so we diverted to Cherbourg. This port is in France, of course, and is therefore on French time which is one hour ahead of UK time. However, because this was a last-minute and unexpected diversion, the ship stayed on UK time throughout the stay in Cherbourg.

I accept that this isn't relevant to the current discussion, but I thought that people might find it interesting.

For those that sail round trip west of Rome, say to Barcelona, there is no time change going that way, correct?

Ummm...wrong... Portugal is on British time, so one hour earlier than Spain.

Folks the question was about Italy and Greece.

Greece is one hour ahead of Italy.

On all the cruises we have ever sailed on with stops to these ports (and we have sailed on many cruise lines) the ship has always gone with the local time.

There are excellent web sites that show you the time zones. Here is one.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Keith

Archived