Denali in 1 day???

jjlasolas

If driving from Anchorage, can Denali realistically be done in 1 day? Starting at 6am and back by 11pm-yes probably tiring, but 5 possible drivers. My father (70 y/o) really wants to see Mt. McKinley....can it be done?

You can see Mt. McKinley from Anchorage but better from Talkeetna. No need to drive all the way to the NP entrance.

Depart 6am, arrive by noon, 8 hour shuttle to Eielson (really not worth going otherwise, since if Mt. McKinley is viewable, best by far from inside the park is at least here or Wonder Lake - which is even further). Back to entrance by 8pm, back to Anchorage by 2am.

240 miles is at least 5 hours each way unless you speed like crazy (one poster said he does it in just over 3 hours - must be going 80+ mph!!). Remember construction delays, slow RV's, sometimes accidents, sometimes road is closed due to construction or mudslides or rock slides.

Thank you so much for your reply. So, my sister's flight from Anchorage is actually @2am, so I guess that wouldn't work... Any other ideas to see Denali with only one day?

No, I doubt you'll find anyone who will recommend going to the park and back in one day.

Like frugaltravel said, Talkeetna would be your best closest place to see the mountain. On a clear day Glenn Alps about 30 minutes from downtown Anchorage is a good place to see it as well as a very nice view of Anchorage and the inlet. The mountain is still pretty distance from Glenn Alps if you're looking for wow.

Thank you so much for your reply. So, my sister's flight from Anchorage is actually @2am, so I guess that wouldn't work... Any other ideas to see Denali with only one day?

Flightseeing from Anchorage:

http://www.flyrusts.com/denali-flightseeing-tour.html

Flight from Anchorage to Denali NP, shuttle bus into the park, then flight back:

http://talkeetnaaero.com/denali-day-trips-anchorage.htm

How about driving to Talkeetna (About 2 hours from Anchorage) and taking a sightseeing flight over Mount McKinley? If your father's interest is in seeing the mountain and not the wildlife in Denali National Park, this would be a good choice. Talkeetna is a cute Alaskan. There is a ranger station there with a movie describing the challenges of climbing Mt. McKinley that we found very interesting. There is also a cemetery in town. Many who died climbing Mt. McKinley are buried there.

http://www.talkeetnaair.com/

http://www.flyk2.com/

Sometimes there are coupons in the Toursaver and/or Northern Lights coupon books for flightseeing from Talkeetna. They may have time of day limitations. SOmetimes the vendors limit how many coupons they will accept in a day. Therefore it is important to check with the vendor before buying the books.

How about driving to Talkeetna and taking a sightseeing flight over Mount McKinley? If your father's interest is in seeing the mountain and not the wildlife in Denali National Park, this would be a good choice. Talkeetna is a cute Alaskan. There is a ranger station there with a movie describing the challenges of climbing Mt. McKinley that we found very interesting. There is also a cemetery in town. Many who died climbing Mt. McKinley are buried there.

Great plan!

Thank you so much for the great ideas. You guys are right-flightseeing would probably be the best way to see the mountain, but as we will be finishing a 7-day cruise (vancouver-seward), we are already doing flightseeing/glacier landing in another port. The problem is that I am not sure if my Dad wants to do 2 flightseeing tours...

maybe what some of you had mentioned, just a 2-hr drive to Talkeetna would be the best closest place and option to see the mountain given our time frame.

...also onnly 1/5 people are flying early...so we also may have to part ways at that point....if we do decide to separate-how likely is it that we get denali park lodging at this time...we will be there in 2 weeks-not much time!

Thank you so much for the great ideas. You guys are right-flightseeing would probably be the best way to see the mountain, but as we will be finishing a 7-day cruise (vancouver-seward), we are already doing flightseeing/glacier landing in another port. The problem is that I am not sure if my Dad wants to do 2 flightseeing tours...

maybe what some of you had mentioned, just a 2-hr drive to Talkeetna would be the best closest place and option to see the mountain given our time frame.

...also onnly 1/5 people are flying early...so we also may have to part ways at that point....if we do decide to separate-how likely is it that we get denali park lodging at this time...we will be there in 2 weeks-not much time!

I'm sure the Alaskans here can speak to the exact numbers, but I've heard that you can actually "see" the mountain less than 1/3 of the time. It makes it's own weather - so most of the time it is surrounded by clouds. Just want you to understand that even spending the time (and money:D), the odds are you won't be able to see the mountain. I'm not trying to discourage your idea of a day trip to see the mountain, just want you to be aware that the odds say you won't see it. Of course, you could spend a week there and never see it too!

I'm sure the Alaskans here can speak to the exact numbers, but I've heard that you can actually "see" the mountain less than 1/3 of the time. It makes it's own weather - so most of the time it is surrounded by clouds. Just want you to understand that even spending the time (and money:D), the odds are you won't be able to see the mountain. I'm not trying to discourage your idea of a day trip to see the mountain, just want you to be aware that the odds say you won't see it. Of course, you could spend a week there and never see it too!

I have read about 25% see the mountain. However, I have also read with flightseeing your chances are better than that, although the flightseeing trips do get cancelled if the weather is unfavorable.

To the OP: You are very wise to consider splitting up. You all have spent a lot of money to get to Alaska.

As far as finding lodging, with the economy down and less travelers, I would hope you could find something. Let us know what you decide to do and find. Many like the Denali Lakeview Inn (I have not stayed there personally, just read the reports) .It is in HEaly which is about 20 minutes north of Denali NP. Perhaps you would rather not have an even longer drive to get there though. Motel Nord Haven has been mentioned as reasonably priced basic lodging, but is also in Healy.

Here is a list of hotels in the Denali Area. I would book direct rather than through this agency or at least check prices in both places for the best deal. I just though I would pass this on so you had some places to begin your search. Princess also has a lodge in Denali. They have another one called McKinley. You DO NOT want that one. I believe it is about 100 miles from Denali. The Denali Princess lodge is by the park. If you look into the Princess Lodge, make sure to book the correct one.

http://www.alaskatravel.com/denali-park/hotels.html

If driving from Anchorage, can Denali realistically be done in 1 day? Starting at 6am and back by 11pm-yes probably tiring, but 5 possible drivers. My father (70 y/o) really wants to see Mt. McKinley....can it be done?

As suggested by lots pf people here I suggest you go to Talkeetna. We did the flightseeing with K2. Great company. They have web discounts and Northern Lights coupons. Suzanne Rust owner is very personable.

This flightseeing got the #1 rating from our group of 10 when I polled them AFTER we did the 7 day cruise and 7 day land excursion. Its top notch.

Talkeetna also has the historic Roadhouse. I love Talkeetna. Trust me. You will not go wrong with Talkeetna. This will be easy on your family. Also, like someone mentioned you may be disappointed in Denali after driving so long and not see Mckinkley. The forest ranger station in Talkeeetna has AWESOME info on Mckinley since most of the climbers take a trip from south side.

Archived