Give the people from Puerto Rico a break!!!

lmmn

LOL:D :D :D

I thought New Jersey was considered Mid-Atlantic.

However, I could see where it looks like it is north east.

New England and Mid-Atlantic are distinguished from each other, but as far as geographical region I think most consider it all as northeast.

The major geographical regions that I tend to use are northwest, midwest, northeast, south, and southwest.

Jeeze, I guess I hit a nerve or two...

Live in Florida now, but business required me to live in the NY/NJ metro area for 8 years, so I know where-of I speak on both of my comments.

For all of you geography nuts, I used North East to avoid saying NY/NJ and upsetting folks. Guess the "U Gotta problem wid dat??" contingent couldn't help themselves.

And if you REALLY want to hate me, know that I prefer my cruises to be free of ill mannered children that I haev read lengthy posts about here , as well!:mad:

Lighten up, everybody:)

And what is Condo Commandos code for? Wink, wink.

Is it old people. Old people from Florida who were from the "Northeast."?

Or is it more?

No nerve hit from me, thanks for your concern. However, I've seen these thinly disquised remarks before.

Jeeze, I guess I hit a nerve or two...

Live in Florida now, but business required me to live in the NY/NJ metro area for 8 years, so I know where-of I speak on both of my comments.

For all of you geography nuts, I used North East to avoid saying NY/NJ and upsetting folks. Guess the "U Gotta problem wid dat??" contingent couldn't help themselves.

And if you REALLY want to hate me, know that I prefer my cruises to be free of ill mannered children that I haev read lengthy posts about here , as well!:mad:

Lighten up, everybody:)

RFLMAO

I've never cruised out of San Juan so I can't comment on that, but I do know this they are American's just like most of us are.

Also, I agree with other posters having just sailed on the Mariner and other ships in the past DH and I both have commented that there are usually 2 groups of people that tend to be the most disruptive, rude, pushy, and loud. Both groups have already been mentioned here before on the Mariner 2 weeks ago, several people were commenting about people from a certain geographic region of the country and their rude, loud, pushy, behavior. I try to chalk it up to cultral differences, and what you're used to being around on a daily basis. I can see why New Yorkers wouldn't think that they could be percieved as loud, pushy, rude, etc. when that's how they are in their everyday lives so this is commonplace for people from New York.

I've been told by people from other parts of the country that Californian's aren't very friendly as we don't speak to just anybody walking down the street. Whereas in the south, everyone speaks to each other. To a Californian I don't think by not speaking is rude, here we just don't really speak to people that we don't know, sometimes it could be dangerous to speak. We're not unfriendly just cautious with whom we communicate. But to someone that is used to a friendly "hi" could be interepreted as unfriendly.

Then there is the group of people that have been on this earth quite a few years longer than I that feel that they don't have to wait their turn in the buffet or for the elevators or tenders, they are rude to young children and young adults. They travel in packs and bogard (sp?) everyone in their way to get to where they have to go. Yet we're supposed to respect them because of their age. Respect gets respect.

Then there is the group of people that have been on this earth quite a few years longer than I that feel that they don't have to wait their turn in the buffet or for the elevators or tenders, they are rude to young children and young adults. They travel in packs and bogard (sp?) everyone in their way to get to where they have to go. Yet we're supposed to respect them because of their age. Respect gets respect.

And then there are the young adults who think the world was created when they were born and revolves around them and their children...:rolleyes:

I've lived all over this great country of ours and there are rude and ignorant people everywhere. They're on RCI ships too and come in all ages and ethnic backgrounds.

Bob

Thanks for bailing me out, Jocelyn, you took the time to explain and it was well put.

There is good and bad behavior everywhere, and I suppose, reasons for it. I agree 100 % about your analysis of the NY/NJ stereo type, that is what I observed when I lived there. They speak loudly and rush because of the population density, it's the only way to survive.

And your senior analysis....again, cannot be helped, I guess. The "entitlement" must come with age. Even my dear departed dad used to say "I wouldn't wait in line for the second coming of Christ".

So, I guess the breakfast buffet or the tender had no chance.....:D

Joycelyn, I think it's probably "Bogart" after Humphrey Bogart. In some of his movies like "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "Key Largo", he would smoke a filterless cigarette down to the very nub. In the 60s a group called "The Fraternity of Man" did a song called "Don't Bogart that Joint, My Friend", which was later covered by Little Feat and also, I think, by The Grateful Dead. The song was admonishing the smoker for hogging the maryjowanna cigarette and smoking it down to the nub without sharing. The phrase later came to mean any type of selfish hogging of an item, such as a buffet line on a cruise ship. :)

Allen

As has been mentioned, there are considerate and polite people in all parts of our country, both young and old. And there are also rude, pushy, obnoxious annoying people in all parts of our country, both young and old. My first wife and my second wife were both from New York (Syracuse and Flushing, Queens). They were/are both gentle, refined and kind people. However, in the year I lived in NYC and the 23 years we visited in-laws in NY and Long Island and New Jersey we saw many people who fit the opposite end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, it takes far fewer negative encounters to create a stereotype than positive ones.

As a Southerner (Oklahoma, Tennessee, and North Carolina) I have seen genteel, polite, and kind people all around me, but at the same time, there are just enough loud-mouthed, ignorant rednecks around to "justify" the Southern stereotype. Most Northerners think everyone below the Mason-Dixon line should have been in "Deliverance". I personally have NEVER instructed anyone to "squeal like a pig". :cool:

It would be nice if we could all just judge individuals as being "cool" or "refined" or "obnoxious" or "rude" without categorizing an entire section of the country as having those characteristics.

Allen

WOW! What a hornet's nest over differences in people & cultures. I have taken many cruises and land trips in many countries. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about other cultures, foods & beliefs. That's why I travel. Having everyone & everything the same would be boring. Yes, there have been people I've disliked but not a whole group.

I belong to 2 of the groups mentioned-I'm mature (refuse to be old) and am a native NY-er who now lives in the midwest. I also think there have been insinuations about my religious group as well.

Predjudice in any form is ugly.

Norma

Joycelyn' date=' I think it's probably "Bogart" after Humphrey Bogart. In some of his movies like "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "Key Largo", he would smoke a filterless cigarette down to the very nub. In the 60s a group called "The Fraternity of Man" did a song called "Don't Bogart that Joint, My Friend", which was later covered by Little Feat and also, I think, by The Grateful Dead. The song was admonishing the smoker for hogging the maryjowanna cigarette and smoking it down to the nub without sharing. The phrase later came to mean any type of selfish hogging of an item, such as a buffet line on a cruise ship. :)

Allen[/quote']

Wow, Thanks for the explanation.

I was on the AOS last July and I wasn't bothered one bit with "locals".

As a matter of fact, I didn't realize just how many locals were on the ship until the 2nd formal night (which is day #5). There was a group of girls celebrating their quincenienta (sp?). They were all dressed in their formal white gowns and came into the dining room and stood on the stairway for a group photo. There must have been about 100 of them. The whole dining room sang happy birthday to them. If you factor into that, 2 parents for each girl, plus more family members, I would imagine there must have been close to 1,000 locals on this sailing. Did I notice them? Not at all.

Some say that the ship catered to them, i.e. music. But, actually, I enjoyed the latin themed music in ONE of the lounges. Throughout the week, my nephew's wife and I spent many hours there wishing we knew how to salsa dance.

I truly do not know what all the fuss is about the locals on the cruises out of San Juan. Maybe I was lucky and all the well-mannered locals were on my sailing.

Hi MszKitty, I was on that same cruise, and I saw those lovely young ladies in their white gowns. I actually took a photo of them because it was so interesting. I've been on three cruises out of San Juan and have never had a problem with Puerto Ricans. All, and I mean ALL, that I came in contact with were courteous and just like any other passenger on the ship. And you're right, there was only ONE lounge that catered to Latin music, and anyone and everyone else was welcome there. I've seen this many times on these boards, and each time someone chimes in and talks about rude Puerto Ricans it just gets my dander up. If someone has a predisposition to a particular people you will look for any and everything you can find, and even exaggerate what you thought you saw. People need to look a little deeper into themselves and ask what's really going on. I already know.

Hi MszKitty, I was on that same cruise, and I saw those lovely young ladies in their white gowns. I actually took a photo of them because it was so interesting. I've been on three cruises out of San Juan and have never had a problem with Puerto Ricans. All, and I mean ALL, that I came in contact with were courteous and just like any other passenger on the ship. And you're right, there was only ONE lounge that catered to Latin music, and anyone and everyone else was welcome there. I've seen this many times on these boards, and each time someone chimes in and talks about rude Puerto Ricans it just gets my dander up. If someone has a predisposition to a particular people you will look for any and everything you can find, and even exaggerate what you thought you saw. People need to look a little deeper into themselves and ask what's really going on. I already know.

Hi Dalwhitt! Do you rememember me? I remember you even though we never actually met in person...LOL :)

I took a picture of the girls too.

Wasn't that just the best cruise?

Off topic.....I see by your sig line that your next cruise isn't until 11/05...you're slippin'...thats a long time between cruises! :D

I've been told by people from other parts of the country that Californian's aren't very friendly as we don't speak to just anybody walking down the street. Whereas in the south, everyone speaks to each other. To a Californian I don't think by not speaking is rude, here we just don't really speak to people that we don't know, sometimes it could be dangerous to speak. We're not unfriendly just cautious with whom we communicate. But to someone that is used to a friendly "hi" could be interepreted as unfriendly.

I have been recently transplanted to California from the New York area and born/raised as a mid-westerner. I think I understand why no one speaks to each other and is often construed as rude behavior--it's simply because one can ever tell which language barrier they are going to encounter. Therefore one is better off not wasting time in an attempt to begin a conversation when 5 out of 10 people can't speak or write english.

[quote name='joyceyw']RFLMAO

I've never cruised out of San Juan so I can't comment on that, but I do know this they are American's just like most of us are.

Also, I agree with other posters having just sailed on the Mariner and other ships in the past DH and I both have commented that there are usually 2 groups of people that tend to be the most disruptive, rude, pushy, and loud. Both groups have already been mentioned here before on the Mariner 2 weeks ago, several people were commenting about people from a certain geographic region of the country and their rude, loud, pushy, behavior. I try to chalk it up to cultral differences, and what you're used to being around on a daily basis. I can see why New Yorkers wouldn't think that they could be percieved as loud, pushy, rude, etc. when that's how they are in their everyday lives so this is commonplace for people from New York.

Then there is the group of people that have been on this earth quite a few years longer than I that feel that they don't have to wait their turn in the buffet or for the elevators or tenders, they are rude to young children and young adults. They travel in packs and bogard (sp?) everyone in their way to get to where they have to go. Yet we're supposed to respect them because of their age. Respect gets respect.[/QUOTE]

Bogart (as in Humphrey is the term you are looking for, made famous from a song in the Movie Easy Rider) "don't bogart that joint my friend"

jc

PS excellent post as usual!

edit... looks like someone beat me to the explanation with much better details! :D

Thanks to everyone that helped with the Pier info.

I think people in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region (that includes Jersey) aren't as tolerant towards different people. This area of the country can be downright racist at times and its not just caucasians vs. others. Philadelphia and NYC have large Puerto Rican populations and depending upon people's upbringing, pre-conceived notions are made towards a different type of person.
There are always going to be the people that are less than tolerant towards others, unfortunate as it is, its reality.

[quote name='MszKitty']Wow! I was raised in California and I speak to everybody. Hmmm...maybe thats why I don't see the rudeness or unfriendliness in people.

Maybe people get back what they project to others.:([/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more MszKitty. I was born in Cali, then moved to a small town in southern Oregon then to Connecticut when I was a teenager. I did find that in my small town in Oregon people where much more friendlier and outgoing. I think that it had to do with the small town atmosphere though.

Now Conn is totally the opposite of it. I'm starting to notice that I have been taking on this "new england attitude" recently and am doing what I can to correct it. I think it just comes from a faster paced lifestyle. Everyone is in a hurry and they feel that everyone just better get out of their way and not speak to them. Too bad. Life is much nicer when people are more friendly and courteous to each other.

When I go back out west for a visit I see such a huge difference. You walk into a store in Cali and the sales people are nice to you and are willing to help. Here, I have had sales people ignore me, give me dirty looks cause I'm interupting their personal phone call and treat me like I'm bugging them just cause I wanted to shop in a store that THEY WERE WORKING at.

Now, on to the Puerto Ricans. I love them (especially my husband!!;) ). We were fortunate enough to spend 10 days in PR prior to our cruise on the AOS. We had and amazing time. No problems what so ever. The cruise was wonderful and their were no problems.

Now I know that there was someone who was on the same cruise as I and was complaining about the latin music, the spanish language and the fact that the Puerto Rican's had a conga line going on at the pool one day. So???????? They were there enjoying their vacation same as everyone else and if you are going to let something as small as that bother you then it would probably be better to take a cruise out of Florida or better yet, stay in America and go to Yellowstone or something.

On of the best things about cruising is being able to meet people from different countries and cultures. If that is something you are not looking for then you might want to do a little bit more research before choosing your next vacation.

phlydude, you are entitled to your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. I live in a suburb of NYC. Our community is extremely diverse: Hispanics from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Spain, South America. Immigrants from Africa and Asia. Because of this, I grew up familiar with a wide variety of people. I liked some more than others based upon what they were individually like - not a preconceived notion of what they would probably be like based upon racial or ethnic stereotypes. However, I worked for a number of years in a very non-diverse community in Ohio. I loved it there and I have fond affection for the people I worked with, but they expressed more prejudice than I can recount. Invariably it seemed to me it was because they had no direct experience with whatever group they were remarking on. They weren't bad people and would have undoubtedly been embarrassed to have even thought the things they did once they actually got to know someone from whatever group they were discussing. There are ignorant people wherever you go. And people of bad will wherever you go. Fortunately, most people are great once you get to know them.

[quote name='phlydude']Thanks to everyone that helped with the Pier info.

I think people in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region (that includes Jersey) aren't as tolerant towards different people. This area of the country can be downright racist at times and its not just caucasians vs. others. Philadelphia and NYC have large Puerto Rican populations and depending upon people's upbringing, pre-conceived notions are made towards a different type of person.
There are always going to be the people that are less than tolerant towards others, unfortunate as it is, its reality.[/QUOTE]

No matter where we are, we will always encounter some sort of prejudice. I lived in a townhouse several years ago - the couple next door was from Puerto Rico. The husband was a really nice guy but disliked Indians. One day, we were sitting outside when an Indian family was being shown a vacant unit across the way. He about had a fit and told his wife to start packing. I said "I really don't know why YOU'RE getting so upset - after all, I have to live next door to Puerto Ricans!" We all had a good laugh over that.

[quote name='nynewfies']phlydude, you are entitled to your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. I live in a suburb of NYC. Our community is extremely diverse: Hispanics from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Spain, South America. Immigrants from Africa and Asia. Because of this, I grew up familiar with a wide variety of people. I liked some more than others based upon what they were individually like - not a preconceived notion of what they would probably be like based upon racial or ethnic stereotypes. However, I worked for a number of years in a very non-diverse community in Ohio. I loved it there and I have fond affection for the people I worked with, but they expressed more prejudice than I can recount. Invariably it seemed to me it was because they had no direct experience with whatever group they were remarking on. They weren't bad people and would have undoubtedly been embarrassed to have even thought the things they did once they actually got to know someone from whatever group they were discussing. There are ignorant people wherever you go. And people of bad will wherever you go. Fortunately, most people are great once you get to know them.[/QUOTE]
The difference between living inside the city and outside the city is that inside the city it tends to be neighborhoods with the same types of people living together. When you move outside the city into the 'burbs, it diversifies more.
Probably the most prejudiced place I have seen is Boston. Hate to say it but that is my opinion. People like to say that they keep it "organized" and that everyone has their own area where they "belong". Not the best way to overcome an issue that is so detrimental to the fabric of American society.

Philly is the same way. There are specific streets where neighborhoods change and physical boundaries that cut off areas from others. The perverbial "other side of the tracks" may be the other side of the interstate or creek.

Having lived in Boston and now in New Jersey, I can say with certainty that Boston is the Northeast and New Jersey is most definitely the Mid-Atlantic.
That being said, I find it amazing, but true, how people's perceptions of others are based (or biased?) depending on where we live. Also, making generalizations about people based on where we live can lead to some erroneous conclusions about others. I thank God that I was able to live and work in such diverse areas such as Boston and New Jersey. My neighbors are so culturally different from each other but we share more things in common than not-- we want the best for our families and we have a strong desire to learn from each other. I taught in a South Bronx middle school for 19 years in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood. Even though my commute to this school was about 2 hours, I wouldn't have traded this experience for anything else. I learned Hispanic customs, language and even learned how to dance. Looking back, and realizing that we all have the same hopes and dreams, we should all be wanting to learn from each other instead of looking for differences. I know that I am a much better person because of these experiences. Oh, I should also mention that my son, who grew up in this diverse town, knows the words toleration and respect, as it applies to others. Isn't that what it is supposed to be about? I'm sailing out of San Juan in April and am so looking forward to it.

NJ is the northeast so the poster from RI may want to disqualify themselves for that region, but heck where are you going to go...tinest state in the union!

For those who want to moo over fact...this take a look at the Farmer's Almanac. Maryland/Delaware begins the mid-Atlantic region.

:)

Very interesting, Finely Cruising. I'm not disputing your Farmers Almanac as your geographical source but my Columbia Encyclopedia says that under the listing for New Jersey: mid-atlantic state of the U.S. Anyone else have a definitive answer?

Archived