Pictures of Grand Turk

pghsteelerfan

"pghsteelerfan"...thanks for posting all those pics. We will be there in June...can't wait. I think we're going grab a golf cart & explore the island, etc. :) And of course, grab some food & drinks at Jack's Shack. :D

You are welcome! :) I really LOVED Grand Turk and wish we had more time there. I'd love to get back to explore the whole island and head back to Jack's Shack afterward. I'd love to see some of your pictures of the rest of the island after your trip if you get a chance. You'll have a great time. :)

• 3 weeks later...

From looking at these photos of the beaches in GT...I am trying to figure out if by the shoreline that if they are rocky or its just seaweed. How are the beaches here? and which is the best one to visit. We are thinking of renting golfs carts so we can probably go anywhere

From looking at these photos of the beaches in GT...I am trying to figure out if by the shoreline that if they are rocky or its just seaweed. How are the beaches here? and which is the best one to visit. We are thinking of renting golfs carts so we can probably go anywhere

Hi, I can try to help you out as best I can. If you are looking at Grand Turk from the ship, the area to the right and leading up to the point is mostly rocks. The beach around the "point" was a mix of rocks/coral/sea weed (in the water) and sand & hundreds of empty conch shells (conch graveyard) on the beach. We walked over to Margaritaville and Jack's Shack and the beaches there appeared to be mostly sand, but there were a few rocks that we were able to see since the water is very clear. We did not go in the water there as the rest of our time was spent shopping at the cruise terminal shops, Margaritaville and having fun up on the deck at Jack's Shack. I have read on these boards that there are a few rocks close to shore and all sand once you get out on the beach in front of Margaritaville & Jack's Shack. The two other beaches I've heard about, but didn't make it to, are Governor's Beach and Pillory Beach. Maybe someone else can give you a little more information on those beaches (and any others) and maybe post some of their pictures. :) I'd love to see some pictures of the areas we didn't get a chance to go to.

To all who have commented on the pictures - thank you. I'm glad the pictures are helpful. I think I mentioned earlier that before we were on our cruise, I was searching the internet for pictures of Grand Turk and could only find a few.

Have just heard today that our cruise itinerary has been changed first from Catalina Island, then to Half Moon Cay and now to Grand Turk, and looking at your photos it seems we have struck lucky! :D

We are on the P&O Azura Christmas/New year cruise, and originally we were docking at Catalina Island, but after an 'incident' involving a P&O ship last year:eek:, it seems they are no longer including the Island in their itineraries.

Thank you so much for posting your photos. Really looking forward to our visit.

• 1 month later...
Beautiful pictures! I didn't know there were so many rocks in the beach! Is it safe to swim then? LOL

Which side is better for swimming? Margaritaville or Jack's Shack?

Thank you! Yes, it's safe to swim although the only place I actually got in the water was the area around the point (the point is to the right if you're looking at the island from the ship). I went down to the water at Margaritaville and Jack's Shack and saw some areas where there were rocks at the edge of the water, but since the water is so clear you can see where the rocks are and they only appeared to be at the edge. I saw other postings on the boards that mention that once you get out past the initial rocks it's pretty much all sand. Some people have recommended water shoes, but there were definitely a lot of people swimming in front of both Margaritaville and Jack's Shack. Margaritaville didn't seem to have as many rocks right at the edge as Jack's Shack did, but Margaritaville can get a lot more crowded. We spent a couple of hours on the deck at Jack's Shack and there were people enjoying themselves in the water there (with their drinks) the whole time we were there.

• 8 months later...
Great pics. Puts everything in perspective that people on this board have been discussion for a while - where is Jack's Shack in relation to the dock; what's to the right; what does the beach and pool look like; etc. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share.

Ed

If you click on the photo number below the bottom left corner of any picture, it will take you to the whole album, and there you can see the full sized pictures.

Here is the main beach. You can just make out the Margaritaville pool. The pier is just out of the picture to the right. Jack's shack is up the beach to the left (see next picture).

5982687596_b47bfc7aca_b.jpg

P7120270 by WillieD13, on Flickr

This picture picks up to the left of where the one above ends (use the brown salt pond as an overlay reference). At the far left of this picture you can see a white warehouse looking building. Just to the right of that, you can see a small cluster of beach chairs. That is where Jack's shack is.

5982129503_22218a0a13_b.jpg

P7120272 by WillieD13, on Flickr

A close up of Jack's shack, as taken from the ship, as we backed from the pier.

5982692180_ed43a2cc8a_b.jpg

P7120273 by WillieD13, on Flickr

Anybody got some suggestions for excurisions on San Juan and St, Thomas. Last time we walked to Fort in San Juan and went in the various shops, ate lunch at a street side cafe and drank a a few brews--sorry no Iron City in San Juan! St, Thomas we hit the ride up to the cable carrier to the look out for photos, brews and eats! Also walked the shops in town and ate dinner at a off-main street pub. All good stuff and enjoyed the heck out of it, but looking for more fun and safe adventures. :D

AFMSGT, you might get better suggestions on the St. Thomas and San Juan board, but if I was going to St. Thomas again, I'd do a day sail. We did half day sail with Sail Island Girl. They take 6 people. There are others that do this also in St. Thomas.

In San Juan, you can explore the Rain Forest. We rented a car to do this, and then had time to spend at Luquillo Beach.

Anybody got some suggestions for excurisions on San Juan and St, Thomas. Last time we walked to Fort in San Juan and went in the various shops, ate lunch at a street side cafe and drank a a few brews--sorry no Iron City in San Juan! St, Thomas we hit the ride up to the cable carrier to the look out for photos, brews and eats! Also walked the shops in town and ate dinner at a off-main street pub. All good stuff and enjoyed the heck out of it, but looking for more fun and safe adventures. :D

San Juan - the zip line canopy tour was a blast. Yeah, bummer - no Iron City. Can't get it here either, but Pgh area is only 4 hours away. :)

St. Thomas - we took the snorkeling excursion (through the ship) to Trunk Bay, St. John and thought it was well worth it.

How far is the Mercury 7 exhibit from the beach?

Depending on how fast you walk, somewhere between 20 -30 seconds. As you exit the duty free shop, turn right and head for the beach area south of the pier, as though you are headed for the excursion dock. After you leave the plaza area, you will see a path, on the left about 20 yards ahead. Turn there, walk another 20 yards, and you are there. This whole area in just behind the beach on the south side of the pier. Alternately, go around Ron Jon's Surf Shop to the left, and you will see it straight ahead.

Archived