Emerald or Dolphin deck minisuite?

ActiveTraveler

When I read threads about the Princess minisuites I keep reading the same two things over and over:

1. If your cabin is on Emerald deck, it better be on the starboard side.

2. If you want a covered balcony, you need a cabin on Emerald deck.

I can't find anything about the two tradeoffs - uncovered balcony and ship engine noise. If I want a covered balcony without the ship noise, which unfortunately is not an option, how do choose between Emerald and Dolphin deck? That is my problem - I want what I can't get because I don't know which is worse, ship noise or an uncovered balcony.

There is no noise on the starboard side. The noise comes from the port side which is over the lounge. The covered balcony on the Emerald deck is the place of choice.

By "ship noise" I was referring to the thrusters, not the band in Club Fusion. Somebody said I will hear and feel the thrusters if I sleep in E721, the first Emerald deck minisuite on the starboard side.

We had E723 on the Emerald (and) loved it. I've booked E731 on the Diamond. I don't like the minisuites on the Dolphin deck because the balcony is totally exposed. We heard NOTHING when we were in E723.

Not even while the ship was docking? Or were you somewhere else when it docked?

All ships make noise when docking...ie thrusters pushing the ship toward the dock. I don't remember anything out of the ordinary on the Emerald. We just left the QM2 three weeks ago and it had a terrible vibration problem...I'll remember that forever.

There are bow thrusters, and there are stern thrusters. When they are being used, some vibration can be felt just about anywhere on the ship. The closer one is to the actual thrusters, the more noticeable the vibration will likely be. Having said that, the use of those thrusters is very brief and has never bothered me even though I prefer a cabin in the aft part of the ship. Unless privacy and protection from the elements are non issues for you, the choice here is obvious, IMHO. I wouldn't wait too long to make up your mind. Emerald Deck minis go quickly!

Do not know why do you continue to ask these questions as you have been answered numerous times. Some cruisers can tolerate the noise and vibration and some cannot. Some can feel the slightest movement on a ship while others have no problem with sailing in a Force 9 gale. Reading your posts it seems that you will be affected by most anything on any ship. You need to sit back and relax and go on your first cruise in 2012 0r 2013 with no expectations and wide eyes.

I've stayed in inside, oceanview and balcony rooms, on Emerald, Dolphin, Caribe and Baja... every time I always felt the ship vibrate when docking. (Mind you, I've never had the opportunity to stay in a mini... one day I hope!). I never felt it obstrusive... and I don't think it ever lasts longer than a few minutes anyways. (If I'm wrong... I'll get the chance to refresh the ol' memory next month! wheee!!) :D I would think it would be more of a concern about where the club is located in relation to the room, versus thrusters.

I can't tell you the times that I have slept through us pulling into port and never heard a sound. I really do think you are worried about nothing.

Dolphin deck is fine, the uncovered balconies are fine. Emerald deck - there are a lot of reviews with people who recommend emerald over and over again.

Please don't be offended but your going to give yourself an ulcer - book a room and enjoy the planning - don't fret over it.

We like Emerald Deck minisuites because partially covered. Have been on the Starboard side with no noise issues. I could be wrong but I think theClub Fusion smoking side is port so one might get smoke as well as noise if on the port side. Just a guess and I do not know that to be a fact.

By "ship noise" I was referring to the thrusters, not the band in Club Fusion. Somebody said I will hear and feel the thrusters if I sleep in E721, the first Emerald deck minisuite on the starboard side.
A ship is a mechanical entity that moves on water. No matter what or where you are on the ship, there will be some noise. Ships creak and groan as they move up and down, side-to-side. There are thrusters forward and aft, and stabilizers mid-ship. Personally, I'd rather have a little noise and vibration from the thrusters as the ship docks and departs over the noise and sometimes shuddering from the stabilizers that can go on for hours or days. FYI, the ship usually sails faster at night which means more ship movement. A ship is designed to flex, that's what I mean. If you've ever been to the top of a very tall skyscraper on a windy day, you'll know what I mean.

Looks like people are saying even midship cabins could be noisy, so I should book one of the starboard cabins on Emerald deck. Got it. Now I can stop worrying about noises.

I am surprised smoking is allowed on the port side of Club Fusion because the stage is over there. I guess they don't care if stage performers have to inhale smoke.

We like Emerald Deck minisuites because partially covered. Have been on the Starboard side with no noise issues. I could be wrong but I think theClub Fusion smoking side is port so one might get smoke as well as noise if on the port side. Just a guess and I do not know that to be a fact.
Only if you're in Club Fusion near smokers. Which has nothing to do with any inside, outside, or balcony cabin. The air systems are completely separate.

We were all the way aft, last cabin on the port side several times, and really had no issue with noise or vibrations except on the Celebrity Mercury. This is a way older ship and the thrusters when docking would pop you right out of bed in the morning but it lasted less than 5 minutes and went right back to sleep. Wtih this being sida, it was so worth a little bit of noise in the morning to have that room at the back of the ship so really wouldn't let it scare you from booking an Emerald deck balcony if any are available. Plus, we have not experienced this on any of the Princess ships --- you are much better off here than under the pool deck in terms of noise. Hope this helps and hope you enjoy!!!!

PS -- Don't be afraid to ask questions on this site even if they are duplicates -- old threads die and maybe you don't see all the input you could possibly want to make an informed choice. Asking questions and learning what you need to do to make your trip the most memorable it can be is what this website is all about!! The advice from this site has helped me immensely time and time again and I am a pretty seasoned cruiser.

• 4 months later...
I can't tell you the times that I have slept through us pulling into port and never heard a sound. I really do think you are worried about nothing.

Dolphin deck is fine, the uncovered balconies are fine. Emerald deck - there are a lot of reviews with people who recommend emerald over and over again.

Please don't be offended but your going to give yourself an ulcer - book a room and enjoy the planning - don't fret over it.

I agree with this totally. Early on in my cruising career, there were times when I thought that I'd be awakened by the docking process, but then I was surprised that we were already docked when I awoke. I've taken to setting a wakeup call so that I can get up and take photos of our approach to a new port. :)

Only if you're in Club Fusion near smokers. Which has nothing to do with any inside, outside, or balcony cabin. The air systems are completely separate.
Pam,

I haven't been on a ship with Club Fusion. From Princess website: Smoking is not allowed in the dining rooms, any food service area, or in the show lounges and theaters. Is smoking actually allowed inside Club Fusion?

Archived