Is taking food off ship allowed???

pizzalady1

And some people just can't stop eating. I went on a small HAL tour out of Cabo San Lucas last spring, and I kid you not people were buying food on the tour within 30 minutes of leaving the ship. No great local cuisine, just some sandwiches and chips. My wife and I just couldn't believe it.

Do you know for a fact that they had something to eat before they left? I generally don't eat my breakfast before 10am even though I get up at 4:50am when I'm working. The thought of food turns my stomach first thing in the morning. I guess if you saw me eating at 10am you would assume that I was eating all day:rolleyes:.

There are many ways to prepare food and many cultures. Why limit yourself to the ship's food. Just cause it's incl. There are lots of different lobsters around the world as well as shrimp or prawns. Many ways to make the same specialty. As far as taking food off the ship, don't try it in New Zealand. The fine is several hundred $ and they inspect everything.

Whenever I hear about eating ashore in Hawaii I amreminded that the favorite state dish is Spam.

And when I am in Hawaii in November I will make sure to try it Hawaiian style. :D

I too enjoy eating locally when I travel. The last thing I want to eat when I am off the ship is ship food!

And some people just can't stop eating. I went on a small HAL tour out of Cabo San Lucas last spring, and I kid you not people were buying food on the tour within 30 minutes of leaving the ship. No great local cuisine, just some sandwiches and chips. My wife and I just couldn't believe it.

One poor couple did wait until we got to San Jose del Cabo to eat, and they were scammed by the local restaurant big time. Never ever order anything off the menu unless you discuss price first. Boy, were they ever hopping mad all the way back.

I am unlikely to believe that cruise port (read "tourist trap") restaurants are going to even begin to stand up to the Pinnacle, except for maybe fresh lobster in New England. Come on now, fish and chips in Dover???? I lived in England for a year so you won't be fooling me with that one!!

My point is that you should outside enjoying the great sights of Paris and Costa Rica, and not be sitting in a restaurant. Plenty of time for that back on the ship.

igraf

ps If you really want to enjoy Hawaii, grab your snorkel gear and jump in the water. I love Hawaii and have visited Maui many times, but not for the cuisine.

It is good at best, and only if you go to a "locals" restaurant.[/quote

Man - you are certainly extremely judgemental for not knowing anything about me or my activities!!

Sorry to disagree with you, but we had Fish & Chips at the Lighthouse Pub in Dover and they were delicious! They also had a homemade Apple & Blueberry Crumble for dessert that was excellent as well. I agree with you that most of the food we ate in England was bland and tasteless, which is why we were so pleasantly surprised with the meal we ordered at the Lighthouse Pub. You can disagree all you like, but all of us on the tour group were talking about it all the way back to London.

BTW- this was on a Land Tour last year through Globus, and not a cruise line tour.

As far as the great sights in Paris and Costa Rica - we were enjoying the sights in both places, thank you very much! We were on an all-day (10-hour) excursion in Paris - had just left the Louvre, and had lunch, as part of the tour, at the Eiffel Tower, before taking an afternoon cruise on the Seine, and completing the rest of our city tour.

And FYI - In Costa Rica, we were on a HAL-sponsored shore excursion that included a 1-hour canopy ride over a lush rain forest, a visit to a beautiful tropical garden, and city motorcoach trip, with the wonderful Costa Rican buffet included.

Just so ya' know....

I have no idea what these people did beforehand, however the tour left at noon so there was plenty of opportunity to eat on the ship.

Not at all. I would think that you were being smart by having a meal timed perfectly for an afternoon outing.

igraf

Do you know for a fact that they had something to eat before they left? I generally don't eat my breakfast before 10am even though I get up at 4:50am when I'm working. The thought of food turns my stomach first thing in the morning. I guess if you saw me eating at 10am you would assume that I was eating all day:rolleyes:.

At Australian Ports Quarantine officers and dogs (those cute beagles !) are stationed at gangways, NO FOOD is permitted to be taken off any vessel. Big fines. Also the shipping line can be fined for permitting it. All about keeping foreign diseases, fruit fly etc out of our country.

Archived