Transportation between Seattle and Vancouver

Doughboy

Does anybody have an suggestions for transportation between Seattle and Vancouver. We had airline tickets we had to use and our airline doesn't fly into Vancouver.

We thought about Amtrak, but the times won't work.

We thought about a bus, but we have never taken one and don't know how comfortable the seats are.

We have also thought about renting a car and just driving up to Vancouver.

My husband has really bad back problems so I am trying to figure out the most comfortable and affordable option. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anybody have an suggestions for transportation between Seattle and Vancouver. We had airline tickets we had to use and our airline doesn't fly into Vancouver.

We thought about a bus, but we have never taken one and don't know how comfortable the seats are.

My husband has really bad back problems so I am trying to figure out the most comfortable and affordable option. Any help would be appreciated.

• Train; twice daily, once in the early morning from Seattle's King St Station, and once later in the afternoon (6ish IIRC) that starts in Portland OR, passes by Tukwila Station (closest to Seatac), through Seattle to Vancouver
  • Bus; Quickcoach.com operate multiple buses from SEATAC to Vancouver's Canada Place cruise facility
  • Air; QX/Horizon Air, AS/Allaska Air, and QK/Air Canada Jazz have numerous flights from SEA-YVR. Advance booking tickets are under $100/ea
  • Car Rental; most rental agencies will rent one way from SEA to Vancouver, but often there is a hefty surcharge

We are planning the same thing for next summer. We are flying into Seattle, and plan to stay 2 days before going to Vancouver. I have looked into many options, and have decided to use the Quick Express Bus. They pick up at either the airport or at a downtown hotel and take you directly to Vancouver. We will be picked up at the downtown location and taken directly to our hotel in Vancouver (Pan Pacific). The cost for the 3 of us is approx. $125, and the trip will take approx 4 hours. I also checked into using a private car to take us, and the cost is about $350, and the trip is about 3 hours. For one-third the price, we have decided to take the bus. The only downside is that they don't pick up at every downtown Seattle Hotel. We will have to take a cab and meet them at their designated hotel. Go on their web site and check it out.

This is our plan and I too worried about my bad back. I did some searching and found the type of buses Quick Shuttle uses (see: http://www.quickcoach.com/charter.htm) which shows their fleet is primarily "deluxe Prevost H340 & H345 highway coaches". Further searching found the manufacturer's website (see: http://www.prevostcar.com/cgi-bin/pages.cgi?page=x345_photo) and these interior photos:

2007X3456_1l.jpg or this one: InteriorSeating_1l.jpg

Perhaps someone who has actually ridden Quick Shuttle lately could confirm? I would bet these are a pretty close representation.

The various conection options have been described elsewhere on this thread. What surprises me is that you say that the Atrak times don't work...the train gets into to Vancouver about noon which is normally perfect for most Alaska cruises. Also with your DH's back problems Amtrak would afford him the opportunity to get up and walk around from time to time.

The various conection options have been described elsewhere on this thread. What surprises me is that you say that the Atrak times don't work...the train gets into to Vancouver about noon which is normally perfect for most Alaska cruises. Also with your DH's back problems Amtrak would afford him the opportunity to get up and walk around from time to time.

Probably because the earliest flight from Kansas City, MO does not arrive into SeaTac until 9:35AM.

Amtrak could work if the OP is staying overnight in Seattle and could catch the train the next morning.

After reading everyones posts, I am starting to reconsider my decision.

Quick Shuttle vs Amtrak Cascades?????????

Cost is about the same

Length of trip is about the same

Departure time is similar (Amtrak is a bit earlier)

Which one would be most scenic?

I am staying in a hotel in DT Seattle. Which one would be easier to get to? (We have 2 pcs of luggage each, and one carry-on bag each) We will be staying at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver if that makes a difference in your decision.

Any info you can share would be most helpful.

Thanks

Probably because the earliest flight from Kansas City, MO does not arrive into SeaTac until 9:35AM.

Amtrak could work if the OP is staying overnight in Seattle and could catch the train the next morning.

Excellent point, however I hope they are don't try to do this on their day of arrival as even if they are in SEA at 9:35 and make the 10:30 departure of Quick Coach and all goes smoothly they are only going to get to Canada Place in time for their sailing by the skin of their teeth. Late plane arrival or missing luggage they are hooped. The 12:30 departure won't do it at all. I would really hope that they would be planning to overnight in either Seattle or Vancouver pre-cruise.

We will be in Seattle for 2 nights in September. We will then take the morning Amtrak to Vancouver. we have already purchasd 2 business class tickets on-line. Our Seattle hotel is about 10 minuters, by taxi, from the station. we will each check 2 pieces of luggage on Amtrak and also have a small carry-on. In Vancouver, we will take a taxi to our hotel for 1 night pre-cruise to Alaska. We hope it all works for us as we have planned it. I will do a review when we return home in October.

This is our plan and I too worried about my bad back. I did some searching and found the type of buses Quick Shuttle uses (see: http://www.quickcoach.com/charter.htm) which shows their fleet is primarily "deluxe Prevost H340 & H345 highway coaches". Further searching found the manufacturer's website (see: http://www.prevostcar.com/cgi-bin/pages.cgi?page=x345_photo) and these interior photos:

2007X3456_1l.jpg or this one: InteriorSeating_1l.jpg

Perhaps someone who has actually ridden Quick Shuttle lately could confirm? I would bet these are a pretty close representation.

The photo on the right is a very accurate representation.

there is an article on this subject on seattle forum on tripadvisor.com. Look on right FAQ's. I work in Vancouver so train or bus up there all the time. Quick coach can make multiple stops and can take up to 5 hrs. If you need a bus from the airport it logistically easy, but it isn't my first choice. Amtrak train is by far the best because of the scenery and #1 it doesn't stop at the border. Last week I took a bus home from Vancouver. We sat at customs for two hours before they even let us in. Then the entire bus had to be unloaded and go thru immigration. We spent three hrs at the border. Behind us were 5 Quick coaches. Only the ones that were express mening direct from cruise ship to border didn not have to be unloaded. The regular ones did. It isn't always that bad but my bus driver has had other 3-4 hr delays clearing the border. Going north the Amtrak bus takes exactly two hrs from downtown to the border with no stops. Quick coach can stop at Everett, Outlet mall, Bellingham airport, then the border and various stops before the cruise dock in Vancouver. If your goal is just to get there Amtrak train, Amtrak Bus would be my 1 and 2nd choices. Also remember that going southbound there are no restroom facilities at the border and while the bus has a toilet it like a rolling portapotty so things have gotten a little 'ripe' if you follow my drift.

One good thing about the border crossing is that it appears that the OP is going in September and this site: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Congestion/border/TravelDelays.htm#SBi5 indicates minimal wait times on weekdays (HAL sails on Wednesdays in September).

Again a good point but buses use a dedicated lane at the Pacific Hwy crossing or what we call the Truck Crossing and do not suffer the long delays that people in autos endure.

Again a good point but buses use a dedicated lane at the Pacific Hwy crossing or what we call the Truck Crossing and do not suffer the long delays that people in autos endure.

while generally true if multiple buses arrive at the same time the wait time in the 'bus' lane can greatly exceed those in the car lane.

while generally multiple buses arrive at the same time the wait time in the 'bus' lane can greatly exceed those in the car lane.

Multiple buses are often at the truck crossing during the summer and a long wait would be an hour which while extreme, Quick Shuttle does allow for that sort of time in their schedule. As a frequent traveler to Vancouver, I am sure that within that hour from the time Quick Coach leaves the Bellingham Airport and the time it arrives in Surrey (or visa versa) they stop for a break a the Grandview, WA rest stop. Whereas people in autos southbound in regular lanes can have waits of up to 3 hrs on weekends, this information is provided by Vancouver radio stations particularly on weekends and during the summer. The link provided by an earlier poster in indicative of "average" waits.

I have done this transit many times, with using a one way car rental the most. But have taken Quick Shuttle, who runs a very good shuttle service. Especially handy, if leaving from Seatac, as Amtrak from Seatac adds at least $30 for a cab. Amtrak is definately more scenic.

I too question this poster, on why Amtrak "won't work"??? They are in a VERY tight- perfect timeframe, if they think they are going to sail out the day they arrive?

I have done this transit many times, with using a one way car rental the most. But have taken Quick Shuttle, who runs a very good shuttle service. Especially handy, if leaving from Seatac, as Amtrak from Seatac adds at least $30 for a cab. Amtrak is definately more scenic.

I too question this poster, on why Amtrak "won't work"??? They are in a VERY tight- perfect timeframe, if they think they are going to sail out the day they arrive?

Remember that the evening Amtrak train starts in Portland OR, and stops at Tukwila station, only 2 miles (and a lot less than $30) from SEATAC

I certainly would pick Amtrak. Did it last year and it was so beautiful to drive by the Pudget Sound. Plus, it is very comfortable and you can walk around the train easily :D

Cindy

How early did you have to get to the station to check bags? How was the food on the train? We are taking the AM train--is there somewhere to get coffee in the station while we wait for the train?

you should get to the train about 60 minutes before. You don't have to check bags as there is some room in the back of each train car if your traveling with one or two cases it works out. There is more of a snack bar type menu but they have good oatmeal and coffee. The menu is usually posted under Amtrak Cascades on the amtrak.com site. You get your seat assignment at the station so one can check luggage if you want and the other can get their seat assignment.

How early did you have to get to the station to check bags? How was the food on the train? We are taking the AM train--is there somewhere to get coffee in the station while we wait for the train?

Which station are you leaving from?

We got to the Station around 6, 6.30 or something I think.Luckily we got there early enough, cause afterwards the station got busy. It is your very basic station, looked a bit dingy too me. Don't know about the coffee, but since there are so many coffee shops in Seattle, you might wanna stop at one

Food was pretty good on the train. I had something hot to eat, as we got some coupons for food in business. It was so nice that my mom went to the bar and got the same. LOL. Sorry, can't remember what we had, but it was your typical American hot breakfast item.

Try to sit on left side of the train if you can, nice views of Pudget Sound. If you're booked in business, they have a separate check-in desk. You get your tickets at the counter (if you don't have them already), check-in your bags, and then you have to go to another counter to get seat assignment.

Cindy

Thanks for all the info. We're booked for business class. It isn't an expensive upgrade, and the extra space is nice. What does the business class checkin counter do for you? How early do they let you board?

One of the reasons I booked the Arctic Doubletree is that it's a short cab ride to the Amtrak station, but even so, it's an early start to the day. I will pick up our tickets from a machine in NYC before we leave, so I'll have tickets in hand. Is there any chance we can do the check in the afternoon before we take the train?

Amtrak in Seattle has a self service kiosk so you can get your ticket the day before and get the seat assignment at the day of travel. I'd take a chance and bring my luggage on but in Business class you'll get off first. Also they give you a coupon for a discount at the cafe so thats nice. Bring headphones as they have free movies.

Thanks for all the info. We're booked for business class. It isn't an expensive upgrade, and the extra space is nice. What does the business class checkin counter do for you? How early do they let you board?

One of the reasons I booked the Arctic Doubletree is that it's a short cab ride to the Amtrak station, but even so, it's an early start to the day. I will pick up our tickets from a machine in NYC before we leave, so I'll have tickets in hand. Is there any chance we can do the check in the afternoon before we take the train?

Amtrak in Seattle has a self service kiosk so you can get your ticket the day before and get the seat assignment at the day of travel. I'd take a chance and bring my luggage on but in Business class you'll get off first. Also they give you a coupon for a discount at the cafe so thats nice. Bring headphones as they have free movies.

If the movie works of course ;).

The business check in counter just assigns your seat.

I can't remember how early they let us board. I'm sure you have to wait until the train is the there, no waiting on the platform until it arrives (maybe that's always the case in the US, I don't know). But I think they let business board first.

Can't help you with the afternoon check in, sorry :o

When we got off in Vancouver, bags were waiting for us, all lined up. It was raining, but bags didn't get wet, cause they had a roof over their head, as opposed to us. LOL

cindy

Cindy

Archived