international cell phone questions?

jnv

We are traveling from US to Barcelona, with ports in France and Italy. Can anyone tell me if there is a cell phone that you can purchase and just use for the 8 days we are out of the country, and if so where do I get it and approx cost? thank you for any help. Currently we have cell phones with Verizon.

There are many providers that rent cell phones - they fedex them to you a few days before your trip, along with a pouch you use to send them back when you return. One that I have used is http://www.planetfone.com/.

You can start by calling Verizon - I think my cousins rented an international cell phone from them last summer, since Verizon is their provider at home.

My iphone works internationally. Ask verizon if your phone works for international. That feature just may be turned off. Then you can find out what the call rates are and use your own phone.

You can also purchase an international phone from Mobal, with an international number, that is yours to keep forever. And, you only pay when you use it. No monthly fees. The per-minute cost is fairly high ($1.25 to $2.50 average) but, if you only use it to check in a home and to find your lost guide or driver, it can be very helpful and economical. It costs about $50 (depending on the phone you want) and can be used in most countries. We've had ours for several years. We take it on our trips ... and then tuck it away in my desk when I get home.

We have used our "quad" phone on trips to Asia, North Africa, and Europe for years. Our carrier is AT&T. Check with your carrier, you may have the international calling feature that just needs to be turned on by your carrier. Or you may be able to purchase Sim cards that will work with your phone, if it is unlocked. The last time we rented a phone for international use was some years ago and it was very expensive.

Be aware using your cell phone while on the ship also is very expensive, probably about $3 a minute.

I didn't want a loaner phone from Verizon. I wanted a different phone number so that only my immediate family members could contact me.

I purchased an unlocked quad band phone from Amazon and bought a SIM card from Telestial.com that works both the US and internationally. The SIM came with a US phone # (so my family could call me for free and I think I paid 15 cents a minute to receive their phone calls) and a UK phone # (that I gave to each of my tour providers because I could receive calls for free on that number.) It worked well for us.

Three years ago, I puchased a phone and Explorer SIM card from http://www.telestial.com. We have used it and loaned it out many times. Telestial has phones with a roaming SIM card starting at $35. Sometimes their customer service is not great, but overall I have been happy that I bought their product. It has been very convenient for traveling to a variety of countries. A friend even replaced the Explorer SIM card with an inexpensive local SIM card when she spent a month in Uganda.

Three years ago, I puchased a phone and Explorer SIM card from http://www.telestial.com. We have used it and loaned it out many times. Telestial has phones with a roaming SIM card starting at $35. Sometimes their customer service is not great, but overall I have been happy that I bought their product. It has been very convenient for traveling to a variety of countries. A friend even replaced the Explorer SIM card with an inexpensive local SIM card when she spent a month in Uganda.

I recommend this place also. Bought a phone for about $40 and have used it with no problem. Used it with the passport lite sim

I purchased a Mobal phone several years ago and have used it in Europe with no trouble. There are no fees involved and the per minute charges are deducted directly from your credit card as you use the phone. I believe Mobal is a British company and the phone number you are given and keep indefinitely is a UK number. I take my ATT cellphone along as back-up just in case, but have never had to use it.

Vicki, yes most cruise lines now block skype since it utilizes so much bandwidth that is why I just wanted to verify how you plan to use it. In many ports people are able to use skype. Be sure to have a back up plan such as just using e mail or calling back on a cell phone just in case.

Keith

Vicki, yes most cruise lines now block skype since it utilizes so much bandwidth that is why I just wanted to verify how you plan to use it. In many ports people are able to use skype. Be sure to have a back up plan such as just using e mail or calling back on a cell phone just in case.

Keith

Thanks. I've got an unlocked tri-band that we usually bring (and have never had to use) but the charges are so expensive per minute that I thought I'd try something else......

Yep .. Skype was blocked on the Pacific Princess last month in the Med. I did use it last year on the Ruby Princess and it worked well. I was always respectful of the bandwidth issue, and the 10 hour difference between Europe and the US West coast allowed me to use it when everyone else on board was sleeping.

A new questions is about majicJack ... does it work and is it being blocked?

I might be misinterpreting the OPs post, but I thought the intention was to get a cheap "local" phone with cheap phone rates that could be used while in Europe. Any of the major carriers such as AT&T or Verizon will have the international plans, but you're still paying to add it on as a feature and even then, the per minute cost is not what I would consider cheap.

The Mobal phone listed above would seem to be an option, but at $1.25 to 2.50 a minute, you're really just better sticking with your existing cellphone.

Or maybe the OP has an old cell phone that is not international capable and that was the intent. I thought pretty much every phone could be taken internationally these days if you set it up ahead of time, but perhaps I am wrong.

I am considering RoamSimple. They have a feature that will allow my mom and kids to call us from their home phone without any charge to them. The charges instead will be charged to our account. I like this since my parents are elderly and really can't afford long distance fees.

Are there any other options for this? The price for minute for RoamSimple, while not as high as Mobal, is higher than some of the others here but I like the fact that my mom won't have to pay for calls to us.

I

Or maybe the OP has an old cell phone that is not international capable and that was the intent. I thought pretty much every phone could be taken internationally these days if you set it up ahead of time, but perhaps I am wrong.

The phone has to be an unlocked tri/quad band gsm or it won't work. BTW, Just checked into Skype and from what I've read it sucks about 20% power per hour from the IPad so it's a no go for me.

I am considering RoamSimple. They have a feature that will allow my mom and kids to call us from their home phone without any charge to them. The charges instead will be charged to our account. I like this since my parents are elderly and really can't afford long distance fees.

Are there any other options for this? The price for minute for RoamSimple, while not as high as Mobal, is higher than some of the others here but I like the fact that my mom won't have to pay for calls to us.

Yes, there are other options. See what I wrote under post #9. The Telestial SIM card I have gives me a US phone # (so my family can call from their cell phones free to them and I pay 15 cents a minute to receive those calls) and a UK number that I give tour providers in Europe. My phone rings when people call either phone number.

If your parents have a cell phone that has free long distance to US phone numbers, this would work.

Archived