What to Wear in Israel

I will be in Israel for two days in September. Everything I've read says that "modest" dress is required for touring in Jerusalem.

Here is the statement in the description of all the HAL tours for Jerusalem: "Modest attire is required; knees, shoulders and midriffs must be covered."

For a man I would wear docker like pants and either a long sleever or polo type shirt depending on the temperature. For the women a nice top and capris are nice or some other type of pants or skirt.

Keith

Your attire should reflect the sanctity of the sites you are visiting. Since parts of Jerusalem are sacred to me, to show my respect, I wore a high necked, longsleeved lower calf length dress with opaque stockings and a headscarf- but it was winter time.Most of the other people in my tour group did not dress so conservatively and everything was ok. For hotter weather I suggest women carry a light weight scarf/shawl which can be put on as necessary. Outside of Jerusalem or within it, if you are only visiting archaeological/historical and not religious sites, you can wear whatever you want. To avoid sunburn, you might want to wear light weight clothing with long sleeves and long pants & a hat. In all cases COMFORTABLE SHOES with good traction!:)

We were there in March. My wife and I are quite respectful and consider ourselves religious. I am of the Jewish Faith. We were dressed perfectly well in the attire I described as were the others on the tour. A scarf was not necessary for women. If that is something you wanted to wear that is fine but it is unecessary. I did wear a hat piece when I visited the Western Wall. For those who did not have one they were available.

Keith

We will be on the RSSC Mariner in early September, spending 3 days in Israel. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to dress while in port or touring Jerusalem?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Let me suggest that you post this on the Africa and Middle East Board. There are a few people who live in Israel who post fairly frequently on that board.

Also, if you can list out some of the major sites you plan to visit that would be very helpful.

Again, we visited a number of historic sites on more than one visit to Jerusalem and my wife did not have to wear a scarf but with specifics as to the sites you plan to visit that would be very helpful.

Again, I would recommend a post on that board. Most people who visit Israel post on that board rather than this board.

Keith

Perhaps a scarf might be in order when visiting Orthodox/Roman Catholic places of worship.

Friends of mine were on a Princess cruise stopping in Israel last year and visited Christian holy places. They reported that both men and women who were not wearing long pants or skirts and did not have their shoulders and arms covered were made to wrap up in long shawls if they

wanted to enter the actual holy place, although they were allowed on the grounds outside.

I traveled through Israel on a 2 week tour. I wore shorts, sleeveless top, sandals for the entire 2 weeks. If you just bring with a shawl, in your purse, you can throw it over your shoulders or tie it around your waist if needed. The only time I did this was on Friday afternoon when I went to the western wall. It will be VERY hot in Israel in September.....wear something cool and drink a lot of water!

Archived