Show us Your Aft!

Just returned from Adventure, kids and spouses had 1388 and 1688 (we had 1694 between them) and those cabins are huge for a Balcony Cabin, would say nearly the size of a regular Junior Suite. Our Junior Suite was also much bigger than the regular Junior Suite, and our balcony was massive.

Just curious. How long in advance did you book to get all those prized cabins? It seems on our cruise that many of the cheaper cabins have sold but much fewer of the costly ones. Completely opposite to sailings from the caribbean for instance.

I seem to recall going into this cabin with Frances and the two of you.

As it was after 4 o'clock drinks and you two, Bill and Frances had been drinkin I don't suppose you have much memory of that? :D

Gary, how could we forget??????

Just curious. How long in advance did you book to get all those prized cabins? It seems on our cruise that many of the cheaper cabins have sold but much fewer of the costly ones. Completely opposite to sailings from the caribbean for instance.

I was in a Royal Family Suite. There are four of these cabins and they sold out withing the first hour of the first day that they became available.

We've booked 7688 on ExOS almost 16 months in advance to get that huge corner aft balcony (similar in size to the pics posted on 7088 for Freedom Class) plus the prices seem to be lower when they open up.:D

On the other hand, in June I snagged 7688 on ExOS for 2 back-to-back September cruises (less than 4 months in advance). Boy, did I feel luck. So, if you can't book early, keep an eye on cabin availability; sometimes they open up:D.

On the other hand, in June I snagged 7688 on ExOS for 2 back-to-back September cruises (less than 4 months in advance). Boy, did I feel luck. So, if you can't book early, keep an eye on cabin availability; sometimes they open up:D.

I agree, and it's so nice when they do :-) I was in 9406 for Freedom in September (booked in February, I think), and in May 7408 opened up. I about tripped over myself trying to get to the phone to make the switch before it got taken.

I recently had the foresight to purchase a hammock before this cruise, and was by far the best thing I've ever done. I took many of naps some intentional some not, but it was quite relaxing to lay out there and just listen to the sea. The hotel manager of this ship said it was the first time anyone had ever brought a hammock (that he has seen). Highly recommended however i don't know if it would work on any other balcony other then the aft balconies since they are so wide. This particular room was 9692 on Explorer of The Seas

IMG_2837.jpg.4cc447abfbe5625c9ce39cbbfc641524.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg.1a3cf1a70c3213cad3ba68f8c29a87d7.jpg

Just a note about picking up those prized cabins 'as they open up' In Europe we cannot switch cabins. We loose the deposit and have to re-book, so it would be very expensive.

Because the Adventure from Malaga is selling to many newbie cruisers from Spain, the 'sweet' cabins seem easier to get. Hence having 1388 next month even though we only booked about 4 months ahead.

Just a note about picking up those prized cabins 'as they open up' In Europe we cannot switch cabins. We loose the deposit and have to re-book, so it would be very expensive. .

Actually that's not the case if you're switching on the same cruise. You can have one cabin change within the same category or above and then if you change thereafter there is a £35 fee. I switched cabins on a forthcoming cruise for free and I'm in the UK and booked with a UK agent. :)

I recently had the foresight to purchase a hammock before this cruise, and was by far the best thing I've ever done.

Hi C1985L

Great idea but how do you attach the hammock? I can't see how you would secure it to the balcony 'dividers'.

Just a note about picking up those prized cabins 'as they open up' In Europe we cannot switch cabins. We loose the deposit and have to re-book, so it would be very expensive.

Because the Adventure from Malaga is selling to many newbie cruisers from Spain, the 'sweet' cabins seem easier to get. Hence having 1388 next month even though we only booked about 4 months ahead.

Actually that's not the case if you're switching on the same cruise. You can have one cabin change within the same category or above and then if you change thereafter there is a £35 fee. I switched cabins on a forthcoming cruise for free and I'm in the UK and booked with a UK agent. :)

I was just going to add that we've just changed from aft E1 8412 on our May 2011 Liberty sailing to aft E1 9706 for no extra charge, but that will be our one free change used up! I'd booked direct with RCI on the web, so I just telephoned customer services and they did the change no problem and confirmed immediately with a new invoice showing the new cabin, and a seperate email advising of the change and that it is an connecting stateroom, as was 8412.

BTW there are several references to another site cruiselinerooms dot com where myself and many others have posted cabin photos. It has not been available for at least 5 days now. Whether it has closed down, not sure.

Edited by peteukmcr

If you are switching cabins on the same sailing you do not have to rebook and there is no charge if you have not already made amendments to your booking. We booked a D2 on Briliiance back in November, there have been no price drops and no other changes... I couldn't believe my luck when I saw corner aft 9526 available a couple of weeks ago and I got it changed on the phone with RCCL no problem. :D

Thanks for the info about this. I had thought it was impossible to change. I usually try to book a cabin that we will be happy with but it is good to know that it is possible to change. Does anyone know if this applies to Celebrity too?

Hi C1985L

Great idea but how do you attach the hammock? I can't see how you would secure it to the balcony 'dividers'.

In the aft, you don't have to use the balcony dividers. There are sections of the ship itself which will secure a hammock.

Now I'm dreaming of a cruise that includes Mexico (where I loved the hammocks) and a return to that aft corner on deck 7.... I'd be sleeping out there!

Thanks for the info about this. I had thought it was impossible to change. I usually try to book a cabin that we will be happy with but it is good to know that it is possible to change. Does anyone know if this applies to Celebrity too?

I think it probably does as we booked a Celebrity cruise whilst onboard last week which we handed over to our TA today. He did the change for us last time and mentioned that we can change the Celebrity cabin if we decide to later on.

We're on the Radiance out of Tampa 10/9 and decided to do a back to back when we saw 1602 available and booked that aft cabin ( we will have to change but it's on the same floor) Can you attach a hammock on the Radiance class Aft 1602? Sounds like a big relaxing nap!

Hi C1985L

On explorer the dividers have a large space between the glass and structures themselves, so it was east to just string it up on both sides. You can almost see it in the picture below.

IMG_2833.jpg.0373c5889790f62c058885ea97556302.jpg

It's a small world!!!! My Mum was born in Bristol and my whole family live there!!! I pop across the pond twice a year to visit them!!

Enjoy your cruises and I hope you get an AFT!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl...small world indeed.:D

We live about 6 miles outside the city and have been here in the southwest for 16 years. Love it here.:)

Prior to that we lived for a few years in Seattle, our youngest son was born there. Loved it there too.:)

I messed up the cabin number on my previous post...we have just grabbed corner aft 9256 on Brilliance in September.

Edited by uktraveller

Hi Cheryl...small world indeed.:D

We live about 6 miles outside the city and have been here in the southwest for 16 years. Love it here.:)

Prior to that we lived for a few years in Seattle, our youngest son was born there. Loved it there too.:)

I messed up the cabin number on my previous post...we have just grabbed corner aft 9256 on Brilliance in September.

I love going home to Bristol! I have Aunts, Uncles and Cousins by the dozens there. My Mum was born in Bedminster, but I also have family in Fishponds, Clevedon, Weston Super Mare, etc. One cousin lives in Ashington (near Worthing), W. Sussex. Love it there also!

Enjoy your cruise, you will love your corner aft and become hooked on them!!!

Cheryl