Selecting the best DSLR cheap!!!!

framer

I've see a lot of posts that try and explain what the best camera for under $500 ETC ETC ETC... Now I know you for the most post are amateur users. That does not mean that you have to use sub-standard amateur equipment. How about considering a USED professional camera body. This applies to all brands that sell pro equipment.

My example Nikon D2h this has a sensor that rocks. Takes 8fps has the best autofocus and is built like a tank. I've seen this body in the mid $300 range. New it was over $3500.00. This does fabulous enlargements to 13x19. It can take 1500 - 2000 images on a single charge. So why so cheap? It used a 4 meg sensor. This is a quality sensor, your HD TV that's 50 inches across uses about 2 megs.

As to lenses add a used 18 - 55 f3.5 - 5.6 for around $130.00

or a 55 - 200 f4 - 5.6 VR for $160.

This camera has the fastest acquisition of any camera I've used. Turn it on and press the shutter release. No delay. For the point and shooters just set it on auto everything and point and shoot.

If you have used a professional body, that you liked, that's now priced like cheap, please post it here with your recommendations.

framer

Best means different things to different people.

D2h was / is a nice camera. For someone that needs 8FPS but doesn't want to spend 1000 for used D300 that is good alternative, but what if they want/need 51point with 3D tracking versus the older focus on the D2H, or perhaps 12Meg versus the 4Meg sensor, or maybe 3200 ISO etc. etc.

No question buying used saves a lot of money but finding al lightly used procamera isn't a given either, nor are many comfortable figuring out if it hasn't been dropped, how many shutter accutations its been thru etc. etc. Kind of like buying a lightly used high performance sportscar instead of a new one :D

I've see a lot of posts that try and explain what the best camera for under $500 ETC ETC ETC... Now I know you for the most post are amateur users. That does not mean that you have to use sub-standard amateur equipment. How about considering a USED professional camera body. This applies to all brands that sell pro equipment.

My example Nikon D2h this has a sensor that rocks. Takes 8fps has the best autofocus and is built like a tank. I've seen this body in the mid $300 range. New it was over $3500.00. This does fabulous enlargements to 13x19. It can take 1500 - 2000 images on a single charge. So why so cheap? It used a 4 meg sensor. This is a quality sensor, your HD TV that's 50 inches across uses about 2 megs.

As to lenses add a used 18 - 55 f3.5 - 5.6 for around $130.00

or a 55 - 200 f4 - 5.6 VR for $160.

This camera has the fastest acquisition of any camera I've used. Turn it on and press the shutter release. No delay. For the point and shooters just set it on auto everything and point and shoot.

If you have used a professional body, that you liked, that's now priced like cheap, please post it here with your recommendations.

framer

Best means different things to different people.

D2h was / is a nice camera. For someone that needs 8FPS but doesn't want to spend 1000 for used D300 that is good alternative, but what if they want/need 51point with 3D tracking versus the older focus on the D2H, or perhaps 12Meg versus the 4Meg sensor, or maybe 3200 ISO etc. etc.

All that you added would cost more than I'm talking about. You may not need the 8FPS but it's there if you need it along with a big buffer to keep shooting. Each body would need to be evaluated just like a used car. Make sure it can be returned.

framer

I have a Olympus E-420 with it's standard 2 lens package as well as a 500mm f8 lens I use for distance shots. Would I love a top of the line Canon or Nikon or even the Pro Olympus model -You bet but not unless I win the lottery so I work with what I have;)

4829652834_87ab36ef13_z.jpg

4828971281_22ccb0ab4e_z.jpg

4399653305_e133123009_z.jpg

4835767195_4919d885e3_z.jpg

I have a Olympus E-420 with it's standard 2 lens package as well as a 500mm f8 lens I use for distance shots. Would I love a top of the line Canon or Nikon or even the Pro Olympus model -You bet but not unless I win the lottery so I work with what I have;)

4829652834_87ab36ef13_z.jpg

4828971281_22ccb0ab4e_z.jpg

4399653305_e133123009_z.jpg

4835767195_4919d885e3_z.jpg

Very nice photos!

I too wanted to spend only around $500 for a DSLR I ended up spending close to a grand though. I got the Canon Rebel T1I and so far I love it! I've been taking photos of everything! I'm still learning and by no means even close to know what I'm doing. But even with me not knowing what I'm doing, my photos look 10x better then with my regular Canon point n shoot.

Happy Camera Shoppoing :)

~Regina

Looked at the Canon EOS Rebel $499 and the Nikon D3000 , as well as the Sony A330 -- but I recently fell in love with the Pentax K-x - for 499.00 availale thru Wal Mart Online only , it is a White Body .

Seems to compare to all the aboves bigger brothers , anyone have any input before I order it ?

IMHO if you plan to invest signficantly in additional lenses or upgrade the body in the future stick with Canon or Nikon. As for entry camera the Canon is the best spec'd. The Sony and Pentax like the Nikon are good cameras but unless something really unique about ergo or feature just overwhelms you, I'd consider say the Canon are the best entry camera, but Nikon is rumored to be close to annoucing a D3001 or D95 or maybe both in a couple weeks.

Looked at the Canon EOS Rebel $499 and the Nikon D3000 , as well as the Sony A330 -- but I recently fell in love with the Pentax K-x - for 499.00 availale thru Wal Mart Online only , it is a White Body .

Seems to compare to all the aboves bigger brothers , anyone have any input before I order it ?

The point I'm trying to make is an older pro body should be considered over a new consumer body. There really is some great stuff on the used market.

I agree with the stick to Nikon or Canon and buy good glass. In 10 years the body is worth zippo but that glass could be sold for what you paid for it. I still use four manual focus lenses that I bought in the 70's, I'll never sell them. I have 4 modern AFd AFs lenses that get most of the action. All can be sold for what I paid or more.

Got to run,

framer

IMHO if you plan to invest signficantly in additional lenses or upgrade the body in the future stick with Canon or Nikon. As for entry camera the Canon is the best spec'd. The Sony and Pentax like the Nikon are good cameras but unless something really unique about ergo or feature just overwhelms you, I'd consider say the Canon are the best entry camera, but Nikon is rumored to be close to annoucing a D3001 or D95 or maybe both in a couple weeks.

So we hear, and I hope that drops the D90 price on remaining inventory. I absolutely love my D5000, but I want that inboard motor.

• 3 weeks later...

I bit the bullet , went ahead and purchased a Canon T1i with a standard 18-55 lens , hopefully I will not feel to strapped carrying it on our up-coming cruise during excursions .

Anyone else carry one during excursions ?

Archived