RCCL needs to do more for handicapped

My husband and I just came back from a cruise and it was our first that my husband needed a scooter to get around. The ship itself was handicap friendly. But when it came to the ports there were no shore excursions nor did they have any special cabs. I was really surprised. So either you need to be able to go around town if its right at the port or stay on the ship. It was very hard for my husband. We went into Cabo easy they roll you right on the tender then the town is right there. Mazatlan we went on a shore excursion that he used a cane. But that was really too much for him and he has a high pain tolerance. We also went to Puerto Vallarta and the ship had a new make shift spot where they parked the ship which made it a long walk to get a cab. It was bad for him. RCCL needs to consider the handicapp and have at least one shore excursion for wheelchairs and scooters for each port. Its ashame if someone has to miss a port.

Brenda

While I completely sympathize with you, it really isn't the cruiselines fault. They are governed by the laws or lack therefore of the various ports they visit. If the port doesn't have any rules and regs in place to help the handicapped the cruiselines certainly can't force them.

You would be better to take this up with the government of the ports you would like to visit.

My cousin has MS and is completely wheelchair bound. He has travelled the world since being in his chair. He has fought in his home province and had the laws changed, however he also knows when he is out of his comfort zone he is at the mercy of whatever help he can get from the people surrounding him and the laws of the places he is visiting.

My Mom uses a scooter and very rarely gets off the ship anymore.

I don't think the problem lies with the cruiselines but rather other countries do not have the laws that we have for ADA. It would be pretty difficult to do an excursion in Mexico in a scooter.

Toni

Being that Im a "handicap" cruiser (dont really like that word), let me also say that this is not Royals fault.

They are some of the best at sea when it comes to accomodations. I am paraplegic and 100 percent confined to a wheelchair and was extremely pleased at how accomodating RC was.

Please dont blame this on the cruiseline.

I found Cozumel pretty accessible.............Nassau is terrible and a "handicap accessible" cab is 40 bucks one way to Atlantis :mad:

Again, that is not Royal Caribbeans fault.

I'm not sure how the cruise line can be responsible for the entire infrastructure of the country, or of the natural wonders it may offer. It's really hard to make a coral reef scooter friendly. The Mayans did not build their cities to be scooter friendly. The list online does indicate how much activity is required.

You might consider a folding wheelchair that could be more easily brought aboard a bus or taxi.

Had you have pre-booked shore excursions, either with the cruise line or with one of a number of independent popular / reputable shore excursion companies, there's a great likelihood that you would have been able to arrange an accessible shore side experience.

Maybe do that next time so you won't have to arrive to port and be surprised that there's no one there able to accommodate a traveler on a scooter or confined to a wheelchair.

While I sympathize with the OP I have to agree that it isn't the cruiselines who are at fault...many of the ports visited can be quite primative...I doubt these places are going to spend the $$ required to make everything handicap friendly...and some tour operators work on a shoestring...

Experienced disabled travelers fully understand that ADA only applies to the USA. Once you travel outside the USA HC accessibility always becomes an issue of concern. The fault does not fall on RCCL but instead with countries on the intineray that lack in accessibilty laws. As a result RCCL can't even get even book and accessible tour bus because it just doesn't exist in many ports. RCCL can't do a thing about it as it's the local government that has to do something. Unless you can use a folding wheelchair which can be load on the bus, can transfer and walk a few steps onto the tour bus , a disabled traveler has to research and book private accessible tours instead. With that said one can't always find accessible private tours. Another option is to used a portable scooter such as a Pride GO Go that easily breaks down into 5 pieces and can be placed in a trunk of a taxi.

I am disabled. Also travel with a walker and a scooter. I go with no expectations other than to enjoy the ship experience. If I can get off the ship it's a bonus. As a result I'm never disappointed.

For future reference CC has a Disabled Forum. There's many wonderful people on that forum than can give you input to accessibility and private tours in many of the ports.

What RCI can do is provide transport for the handicapped from the ship, along the pier, to the terminal building on shore. That would be a big help!

I am planning to take my walker (with wheels and a seat) on my next cruise on the Freedom because I want to visit Labadee and see all of the new things. The distance from the ship to the shore is more than I can walk without sitting down to rest.

And as stated earlier, RCI could try to arrange some excursions for handicapped people in the various ports.

But we Americans often forget that the laws helping the handicapped in the USA do not exist in most foreign countries.

Archived