Do you order at home as you do on a ship

katiel53

I eat on the ship about the same way I eat at a land-based restaurant. I don't always order one of each "category" -- sometimes appetizer but not soup; sometimes soup but not salad. I don't eat a lot of desserts -- if they have something like flan, I can't pass it up, but I can do without cake (yes, even the lava cake!), extra sweets. I've never even considered ordering two entrees!

One of the reasons I so love the flexible dining is that I don't have to be at a table where folks are ordering 2-3 of everything, tasting some of it, discarding the rest, sending stuff back, etc.

Unless it is something that is SO offensive that I can't eat it, I don't send anything back to be done differently, cooked longer, whatever. The only thing we "wasted" on our last cruise was a pizza (not on this cruise line) that was really awful, and we apologized to the server.

I find it strange that you equate overindulging (which i'll happily admit to!) with being wasteful. The only time any significant amount of food is left on my plates is if I just plain don't like it. Yes, I order more than I do at restaurants where I pay per item - but I certainly eat what I order! I figure it's like when I go to a buffet - I'm liable to eat a lot more there, too. I make Red Lobster crazy when they offer endless shrimp, I can eat my weight in lobster and snow crab at the Boston Lobster Feast, and you should see me put away the food at the Brazilian steakhouse we like so much.

Just because you are paying a flat rate doesn't mean you aren't paying for it. I can't imagine ordering 20 of something (I actually have a hard time believing that's done often enough to be a valid complaint) but I've been known to order a soup, two appetizers, and two entrees in a single night. I'm a little heavier than I'd like to be, but I still fit into (and look good in!) my favorite jeans*. Hopefully you're never seated near me, so I don't bother you with my excessive ordering and eating.

* Well, I always do before a cruise anyway =P

I consider eating in the main dining room an "upscale" event (especially on elegant night) so I put on my best polished etiquette and finest manners.

Formal dining where you dress for dinner, practice the art of conversation, take small bites and chew completely just doesn't doesn't lend itself to the "I'll have one of everything and doubles of my favorites!" mentality.

I'm not above sampling multiple bits of new and exciting foods. I often do overindulge when I find something special. :o But that is behavior I'm more comfortable with at the buffet. The buffet is perfect for sampling multiple offerings and otherwise indulging in gastronomic bliss. :D

Not judging others who feel differently. I just enjoy the variety of availible dining venues and find I'm more comfortable dining conservatively in a formal setting like the MDR.

I pretty much order what i would at a restaurant...but at a restaurant, I can take the leftovers home and therefore, don't feel guilty about not eating it all :(

Also, I really never order dessert out at a restaurant b/c I am not a dessert eater...but on the cruise ship...I am addicted to the chocolate melting cake...with two scoops of ice cream...so, I have it every night unitl about two nights before the end of the cruise when I say....pleeeasssse....no more :eek:

I asked this on another thread, but never got any answers. Hopefully, I will on this thread. I know some people order multiples of appetizers, entrées and desserts. When you dine out at a restaurant where you are paying per dinner, per appetizer, per entrée etc.--you get the picture, do you order food as you do on a ship? Do you waste as much when you are paying for a meal in itself as opposed to paying for food on a ship?

I have seen people post they or family have order 20+ lobster tails, every entrée and shared it with the table, multiple appetizers etc.

I admit that I order two lobster tails as I am allergic to the shrimp, but normally I don't order things I won't eat. I don't order things "just because I want a taste of something" or "just because I can." I wouldn't do that at a restaurant where I had to pay for it, so why would I do it on a ship?

Just wondering if you feel that because you paid for food, you should be able to eat or waste whatever you want. No flaming please. Thanks.l

When I go out to eat at home (which is at least once a week) I know what I am ordering is something that I will like. I have no need to order more than one entree. There have been times when sailing that a meal comes and it sounded much better being described on the menu than it tasted. I don't order more than one entree but have gotten more than one appetizer as a "just in case". Since I'm on a cruise and have paid for my meals I don't feel guilty for trying something new and not liking it. If I don't try it I will never know if I'm going to like it. I think there are many people who figure cruising is the time to try new things.

I do not believe in "Finish everything on your plate" mentality. If I'm home and I'm serving myself then I have a pretty good idea of the amount of each item I will eat. On a cruise ship where someone is putting the food on my plate I may or may not be able to finish it all. It's not like I can say "Small portion of the meat and extra veggies please".

I don't send anything back to be done differently, cooked longer, whatever.

So if you order a steak rare and they bring it well done....you don't send it back:confused: Or if your food is cold:confused: Or if it is the wrong order:confused:

on a cruise I order what ever I would like to try. people flame at this topic thinking that great amounts of food are being wasted. The chefs prepare a certain amount of food. those in the dining room either order extras or try it all or it goes in the trash. its not like they run back into the kitchen and toss another lobster tail on for each extra order.

I do eat a little more than I normaly do because I do not have a salad, appetizer, or dessert when I go out to restraunt. I never order more than one thing and if I don't like it I would not even think of sending it back.

It's pointless to compare ordering in the dining room on a ship with ordering at home.

How often do you go to a restaurant at home where all the food is basically free? The closest thing would be a buffet. I hope all the "one entree only" advocates here never go up for a second plate in a buffet situation.

The judgmental nature of some of the posts in this thread just reinforces why I won't cruise unless I can be guaranteed a table for two or your time dining. I don't want to sit with someone inwardly sneering if I order a second steak, even though every Carnival waiter I've ever had actively encourages ordering of multiple servings, or better yet, thinking "the only people I have seen order multiple entrees are people who need to be losing weight". My wife won't let me write the two word phrase that comes to mind here in response to this comment.

And why is the lobster somehow exempt from the rules of multiple ordering? Because you like lobster? I've never ordered it and won't ever order it. I like other things like you like lobster.

I don't drink at all - I think I'm allowed to have SOME fun on board. Perhaps I should start going around smugly shaking my head at all the people who have more than one standard drink a day on the cruise.

"I don't order things "just because I want a taste of something" or "just because I can." I wouldn't do that at a restaurant where I had to pay for it, so why would I do it on a ship?"............

I will order things "just to taste something" to see if I like it....I will order a number of things that I KNOW I will eat.

" I wouldn't do that at a restaurant where I had to pay for it".....You also don't have to pay 15% grat for each drink when at a restaurant.

At home I'll only order an entree. Every once in a while maybe an appetizer or a dessert. Never do I order every course at home. On a cruise though, I'll usually order every course. With that said, I do only order what I know I can finish.

I am relatively new to CC and have learned a lot but i am a bit dismayed that a few of my fellow cruisers are so judgmental.

Taking my 3rd cruise in a few months so not too much experience but I order what I want and REALLY, why does anyone else care what/how much a person orders? It's not coming out of your refrigerator nor do you have to cook it! Personally, we booked our room at the last minute (yes our fault) and we're not getting too great of a deal...hell, food is one way to get our money's worth! I will try not to need a wheel barrel out of the MDR, but no promises, I'm on vacay!

Carnival also encourages passengers to eat as much as they want...so if they don't have a problem going back and forth to the kitchen until my heart's content, I can't understand why another cruiser would care.

I find it strange that you equate overindulging (which i'll happily admit to!) with being wasteful. The only time any significant amount of food is left on my plates is if I just plain don't like it. Yes, I order more than I do at restaurants where I pay per item - but I certainly eat what I order! I figure it's like when I go to a buffet - I'm liable to eat a lot more there, too. I make Red Lobster crazy when they offer endless shrimp, I can eat my weight in lobster and snow crab at the Boston Lobster Feast, and you should see me put away the food at the Brazilian steakhouse we like so much.

Just because you are paying a flat rate doesn't mean you aren't paying for it. I can't imagine ordering 20 of something (I actually have a hard time believing that's done often enough to be a valid complaint) but I've been known to order a soup, two appetizers, and two entrees in a single night. I'm a little heavier than I'd like to be, but I still fit into (and look good in!) my favorite jeans*. Hopefully you're never seated near me, so I don't bother you with my excessive ordering and eating.

* Well, I always do before a cruise anyway =P

Virga, I'll sit near you, ditto to what you said. I'll not be wasteful of what I've ordered and indeed, I did pay for my meal and service. Thanks to Carnival I have now tried lobster, escargot, pumpkin soup, chocolate melting cake, smoked salmon (lox), prosciutto, bitter and blanc.... I doubt I would have tried these things if in a restaurant setting - Sheesh, a lot of the things I eat on a cruise I wouldn't even know where to find it in a restaurant near me without paying another fortune.

Anyone who turns up their nose at me while ordering a second serving of whatever I want has more issues than I care to handle while on a well deserved, hard earned vacation.

I do only two things differently when ordering on a ship than at home... one, I order dessert- which I never do at home. Cruise portions are smaller than your average Applebee's or TGIFridays, so I have room for dessert. The second thing is that I order things I would not order at home, like chilled soup for an appetizer. If I don't like it, I know there is still an entree and dessert ahead to fill me, and I don't feel like I paid $6 for something I didnt like... but if I don't order it on the ship, I will never know whether I like it or not.

Archived