Buying Wine in Barcelona?

We are on the Jade in October and would like suggestions for buying wine in Barcelona. I know about the $15 corkage fee, but would like to choose my Red wine in port.:D

We are staying 2 days pre-cruise so have time to shop, any suggestions on where or what brand?

Thanks

Lynda

There is a department store at Plaza Catalunya (sp? - I apologize). I believe it is called Cortez, anyway it is huge and cannot be missed. In the basement of the department store there is a grocery store that has a huge selection of wines. We've shopped there and had good luck finding good Spanish wines for $3 that we have brough back to our hotel. Good luck with your search.

We are on the Jade in October and would like suggestions for buying wine in Barcelona. I know about the $15 corkage fee, but would like to choose my Red wine in port.:D

We are staying 2 days pre-cruise so have time to shop, any suggestions on where or what brand?

Thanks

Lynda

Wow - do you really think folks here have any idea what kind of wine you would like? And, if you are pretty easy going on wine, I would just buy it on the ship.

But, if you do stay in Barcelona, and are on Ramblas, towards the top end there is a almost full service grocery store with lots of options.

We are on the Oct.3-10 cruise.You didn't specify your date of sailing but if on same cruise,would you be interested in off ship excursions?

I have read very good reviews from past Jade cruisers.The Driver Guide Service and Rome in Limo were highly recommended for excursions in Rome,Florence and Naples.My husband and I are especially interested in the Amafia coast tour out of Naples.

Thanks

Lynda

One of our favorite Spanish reds is Marques de Caceres Red Rioja Crianza. When we were in Spain last year we found it in nearly every store we visited - at less than half the price we pay here in the states - or about $6.00. They also have a Reserva at about a 50% premium, but my palate could not tell much of a difference.

One of our favorite Spanish reds is Marques de Caceres Red Rioja Crianza. When we were in Spain last year we found it in nearly every store we visited - at less than half the price we pay here in the states - or about $6.00. They also have a Reserva at about a 50% premium, but my palate could not tell much of a difference.

That is an excellent recommendation. I love that wine! We found it at El Corte Ingles the department store on the Placa Catalunya for about that much. With the $15 corkage fee it is still cheaper than anything offered on the ship. I did notice that they offer this wine on the current wine list for $35 but that shouldn't prevent you from bringing on-board if you pay the corkage.

On several trips and sailings out of Barcelona, we have always had a bit of fun choosing several different Spanish wines to try - they are so cheap that it wasn't a big deal if we didn't love them. On our last cruise, we carried on ten bottles, all different. We drink mostly whites, but tried a few reds too and found that all the wines we sampled were at least good, and some spectacular. We bought some at the grocery store on Las Ramblas (close to Placa Catalunya) and some at small wine stores we found near La Boqueria. Keep in mind that MANY stores in Barcelona (including the grocery and La Boqueria) are closed on Sunday, so purchase before then.

Robin

We went on Sunday morning to some grocery store near Las Ramblas, bought about 6 bottles of red and white, as cheap as 1 Euro (honestly, 1 Euro) and splurged on one for 6 Euros. None were Boone's Farm quality, all were French or Spanish, and were fun to try.

We had them in our carry ons, wide open through the conveyor belt thingy, were not charged the $15 cork fee (though we were prepared to pay) and because of this, stopped in the stores right there at the port. Bought even more (can you ever have too much?) and those bottles went from 6 Euros and up...excellent variety, including not only wine, but a liquor store. We were told by the very nice NCL people that each passenger could bring on two bottles of wine or one bottle of liquor. So we also bought some rum. Laden with bottles, still worried we'd have something confiscated or charged that cork fee, you can imagine our pleasant surprise when no one even glanced at our liquor and wine bottles (in paper bags no less) as we ascended the escalator to the ship. They just smiled at us, wished us a happy trip. Did I mention we gave our 8 and 10 year old daughters wine bottles to hold as well? They felt so important and proud. :D

Barcelona's port shops were wonderful and very reasonable. We also bought chocolate and snacks, because we thought we'd need something to go with the wine and rum in our rooms. It made for a great last night on the Jade having to drink it all up!

And never a corking fee, and we brought our bottles all over the ship-just not into the dining rooms.

Bought even more (can you ever have too much?) and those bottles went from 6 Euros and up...excellent variety, including not only wine, but a liquor store.

I knew prices were very good, but getting a liquor store for around 6 Euros is a great deal!:D

First, I never expected anyone to know what I like. I asked for suggestions on where to buy wine. I have every intention on paying the fee, just thought the prices onboard were too high.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions, I will try the wines offered.

My first NCL cruise and first Med cruise. I appreciate all answers to my questions.

Lynda

We are staying 2 days pre-cruise so have time to shop, any suggestions on where orwhat brand?

Thanks

Lynda

Actually you did ask about what brand to buy.:) And there is nothing wrong with that. Ignore GaryCarla's post. In was inappropriate.

We went on Sunday morning to some grocery store near Las Ramblas, bought about 6 bottles of red and white, as cheap as 1 Euro (honestly, 1 Euro) and splurged on one for 6 Euros. None were Boone's Farm quality, all were French or Spanish, and were fun to try.

I just wanted to say I love your post so much. :D

I am now on a quest to find several bottles of good, cheap French and Spanish wine at El Corte Ingles!

Spanish riojas are excellent. The one mentioned by others, Marques de Caceres Red Rioja Crianza, is one of my favorites also - a good price point here in the US and a fantastic one in Spain. If you like dessert or aperitifs, pick up a bottle of sherry, manzinilla, Pedro Ximenez, almontillado, or the like.

On a side note - if you want to pick up some candy, look for a "Happy Pills" store. Bulk penny candies - pick up a bag and take what you want.

Thanks Lulley, I will write that down. Looking at the ship wine list, this is a much better option even with the corkage fee. I will get a bar set up but I love wine, too.

Lynda

If you are in Las Ramblas which you really need to visit whilst there about halfway along is a fresh produce market where you can sample some fanatastic tappas and along the top wall is a small wine shop with a small but local selection of great wines at very cheap prices .We used to stop there buy some wine some fresh bread and cheese fruit etc. and take it back to our hotel room and yes there are some great wines for just 3 euro.

So am I reading this correct and there are places to buy wine at the terminals?

we are flying in the same day we cruise and want to take the 2 bottles of wine onboard.

Wondering if we should get at the airport?

Thank you,

So am I reading this correct and there are places to buy wine at the terminals?

we are flying in the same day we cruise and want to take the 2 bottles of wine onboard.

Wondering if we should get at the airport?

Thank you,

I bought some cava (pinot noir) in the duty free at BCN for my flight home.

Archived