Boston Freedom Trail - Boat arrives 2:00pm

dlwfarm

I'm taking carnivals Glory in Sept and the boat arrives in Boston at 2:00 pm. Is there time to do the freedom trail? What is a good way to see the freedom trail w/ narrative? We like walking and enjoy hearing about the city. I know we can book something on the cruise, but something off the cruise probably would be cheaper. Any ideas? Thanks, mary

I'm taking carnivals Glory in Sept and the boat arrives in Boston at 2:00 pm. Is there time to do the freedom trail? What is a good way to see the freedom trail w/ narrative? We like walking and enjoy hearing about the city. I know we can book something on the cruise, but something off the cruise probably would be cheaper. Any ideas? Thanks, mary

If you plan on going into any of the sites along the Freedom Trail, you'll want to keep in mind that most of them close around 5pm.

Keep in mind also that you don't have to do all of the Freedom Trail, depending on your time constraints. I know you asked about a tour with a narrative, but it's also possible to start with a good guide book, and see the parts you most want to see at your own pace. Boston is a wonderful city for leisurely exploring, with stops for shopping, eating in a lovely restaurant, or popping into a pastry shop in the North End near Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church (notice I'm keeping to that Freedom Train theme!.)

I'd agree with the suggestion to check the closing times of the various sites you want to see. The Freedom Trail does not have to be done in any particular order. If you dock at 2 pm, I'd eat a late lunch. If you really want to see the Constitution, I'd take a cab from the pier to the Constitution first. If you want to see North Church and the Paul Revere House, I'd take a cab there or take the MBTA water taxi from the Constitution to Long Wharf ($1.70/pp) and walk a loop through the North End back to Faneuil Hall. If you want to eat and shop, then do that at Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. If you want to keep going, walk the trail backwards to the Boston Common.

If you still have time in the evening, you may want to run out to the Prudential center to have a drink at the Top of the Hub to see the view. The Green Line from Government Center or Park St. will take you to the Pru.

Let us know what you're thinking and we can provide more details.

Archived