cruise director visibility (or lack thereof)

DW and I have sailed 7 times together (4 with rccl and 3 with ccl) and all 7 cd's had one thing in common. with the exception of seeing them introduce/host activities/shows I don't think I have seen one around the ship. In my opinion the cd should walk the promenade or pool deck at least 1 or 2 times thruout the cruise (depending on the length of the voyage) to see whats happening and give cruisers a chance to chat. I'm sure there would be some that would complain to the cd but I think they would be few and far between. anyhow, just wanted to get some opinions and see if anyone agrees with me or has had similar experience or not. Thanks.

I am one who really doesn't care who the CD is or what kind of "presence" he/she has on my cruise. The CD doesn't impact my vacation in any way - there have been some who needed new "material" but other than that I couldn't tell you one from the other on any of our 10 or so cruises. But different things make or break a vacation for different people..... :)

DW and I have sailed 7 times together (4 with rccl and 3 with ccl) and all 7 cd's had one thing in common. with the exception of seeing them introduce/host activities/shows I don't think I have seen one around the ship. In my opinion the cd should walk the promenade or pool deck at least 1 or 2 times thruout the cruise (depending on the length of the voyage) to see whats happening and give cruisers a chance to chat. I'm sure there would be some that would complain to the cd but I think they would be few and far between. anyhow, just wanted to get some opinions and see if anyone agrees with me or has had similar experience or not. Thanks.

My suggestion- sail on which ever ship Richard Spacey is on. He's on the Oasis now. He was everywhere on the Freedom and never to busy to stop and chat.

I have to agree with Tranquil Waters...If there wasn't a CD, I wouldn't notice! I really don't care who they are, or if they chat with me. And, while having a Captain onboard is a good thing, I don't care who they are, either...just steer the ship..that's all I ask!

The CD is an executive whose main job is to plan and supervise all activities put on by the staff. Since we participate in every activity we can get to, I put the smooth running of all the stuff going as the main priority of the CD. If all the activities are properly scheduled and executed (and by that I include not scheduling The Quest on formal nights:eek::eek:) I don't care if the CD ever wanders the ship.

I am one who really doesn't care who the CD is or what kind of "presence" he/she has on my cruise. The CD doesn't impact my vacation in any way - there have been some who needed new "material" but other than that I couldn't tell you one from the other on any of our 10 or so cruises. But different things make or break a vacation for different people..... :)

I am with you!! On most cruises I doubt I would even know the CD if I ran into them. We do take in the shows but not to see the cruise director. To be honest I thing the job is way over blown and maybe one way they could save cost by cutting the job.

Another one would be the the person who talks about shopping in the ports!!!

I am with you!! On most cruises I doubt I would even know the CD if I ran into them. We do take in the shows but not to see the cruise director. To be honest I thing the job is way over blown and maybe one way they could save cost by cutting the job.

You obviously have no idea what a Cruise Director does besides the few times you see him/her introduce a show or host an activity. This person is responsible for ALL of the scheduling of activities; assigning which staff will be where; editing your daily Compass/Capers etc; organizing performances (and even giving input on guest performers)...all while being the official "face" of your cruise experience and having to deal with passengers with a smile. They earn every dollar they make and then some. I agree some are better than others "entertainer/host" wise; but that is only one of MANY jobs they do.

Mitch

You obviously have no idea what a Cruise Director does besides the few times you see him/her introduce a show or host an activity. This person is responsible for ALL of the scheduling of activities; assigning which staff will be where; editing your daily Compass/Capers etc; organizing performances (and even giving input on guest performers)...all while being the official "face" of your cruise experience and having to deal with passengers with a smile. They earn every dollar they make and then some. I agree some are better than others "entertainer/host" wise; but that is only one of MANY jobs they do.

Mitch

Agree 100% .

Mitch

Thanks Mitch and yes I am aware of what the CD does. It also seems that on our last few cruises the majority of the activities that the CD and staff arranged were poorly attended and had very low if any participation.

As for the cruise compass the majority of it is a repeat cruise after cruise with few changes (apart from the shows) from cruise to cruise. Have rarely been wowed with new ideas or inspiration! Mostly the same old from cruise to cruise & cruise line to cruiseline!

Highly over rated position!!

It also seems that on our last few cruises the majority of the activities that the CD and staff arranged were poorly attended and had very low if any participation.

I have experienced the COMPLETE opposite of this :rolleyes:

The bellyflop competition, worlds sexiest man, quest, 70's show, love and marriage show, etc, all require you to get there early to have a good seat. If you get there as soon as they start, good luck finding a place to sit.

I have experienced the COMPLETE opposite of this :rolleyes:

The bellyflop competition, worlds sexiest man, quest, 70's show, love and marriage show, etc, all require you to get there early to have a good seat. If you get there as soon as they start, good luck finding a place to sit.

Some yes but excellent point. All those shows have been around for years! Since we started cruising in the early 90's. What ever happen to new orginal ideas!!

Come on folks I am sure they can come up with something new!

Thanks Mitch and yes I am aware of what the CD does. It also seems that on our last few cruises the majority of the activities that the CD and staff arranged were poorly attended and had very low if any participation.

As for the cruise compass the majority of it is a repeat cruise after cruise with few changes (apart from the shows) from cruise to cruise. Have rarely been wowed with new ideas or inspiration! Mostly the same old from cruise to cruise & cruise line to cruiseline!

Highly over rated position!!

Until you have held the position, I wouldn't rate it! :rolleyes:

A CD is like the Head Waiter, a lot of their work is behind the scenes. I agree with mtchg. Our friends son is a CD. He is constantly on the go, and seldom gets more than a few hours of sleep at a time.

Until you have held the position, I wouldn't rate it! :rolleyes:

A CD is like the Head Waiter, a lot of their work is behind the scenes. I agree with mtchg. Our friends son is a CD. He is constantly on the go, and seldom gets more than a few hours of sleep at a time.

You are missing my point. I am not saying they do not work hard! What I am saying is the CD activities are 90% a cookie cutter from one cruise to another. On the majority cruise directors do not make or break a cruise.

I would just like to see one that came up with a new or orginal form of entertainment!

I know what you mean. I have seen a few new activities in my years of cruising. My favorite would be "Liars Club". That was on Mariner of the Seas in 2007.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I figured I was the only one who found few new ideas!

You are missing my point. I am not saying they do not work hard! What I am saying is the CD activities are 90% a cookie cutter from one cruise to another. On the majority cruise directors do not make or break a cruise.

...>>>SNIP<<<...

Yes, always similar activities. But they still have to be organized, scheduled and executed. The ship does not run itself. The CD does.

I do not care if I talk to the CD. I have no interest in any of the activities or shows on the ship. I just like to lay out by the solarium and read a book.

Many people who go on cruises feel like you. Which is their right since they set up their vacation and pay for it.

Others, like us, want to do things so we are well aware of what is going on and how well they are scheduled and run. One of the main reasons we choose RC, we like their activities and how they are run. Different strokes.......

The Big Booper;Yes, always similar activities. But they still have to be organized, scheduled and executed. The ship does not run itself. The CD does.[/b][/color]

Thanks and I think that is what I was saying. Yes they have to make sure things are going OK however the creativeity is sadly lacking. And as for as the CD running the ship I fear not. Very little. In my opnion the Hotel Manager and Head cook have a lot more influence on how I enjoy my trip than anyu CD!! I refer to you other posts about food!

And by the way we do take part in a lot of activites! It would just be nice to have something new!

Some yes but excellent point. All those shows have been around for years! Since we started cruising in the early 90's. What ever happen to new orginal ideas!!

Come on folks I am sure they can come up with something new!

Great point. :cool:

No offense, but are you monitoring the promenade or pool deck that closely that you can say the CD didn´t do this?

On ships this big and with that many people I couldn´t tell if the CD or any other officer would have walked the promenade / pool deck once or twice during 7 days.

I´m with many others I don´t really care who the CD is, though I have to say there are a few around that are so full of themselves I can hardly stand them:eek:

The Big Booper;Yes, always similar activities. But they still have to be organized, scheduled and executed. The ship does not run itself. The CD does.[/b][/color]

Thanks and I think that is what I was saying. Yes they have to make sure things are going OK however the creativeity is sadly lacking. And as for as the CD running the ship I fear not. Very little. In my opnion the Hotel Manager and Head cook have a lot more influence on how I enjoy my trip than anyu CD!! I refer to you other posts about food!

And by the way we do take part in a lot of activites! It would just be nice to have something new!

Great point. :cool:

I agree, too often the CDs stick to the playbook. My post could have worded better. Still, you get a CD who doesn't know what he is doing you get poorly scheduled and run activities, it might be the same old, same old but you can see the difference.

Especially something frenetic like The Quest on the ice rink. Brooks and Chapman turn it into something insane. And a riot.

Mitch

I appreciate what the CD does, but he or she is not the face of my cruise experience.

No offense, but are you monitoring the promenade or pool deck that closely that you can say the CD didn´t do this?

On ships this big and with that many people I couldn´t tell if the CD or any other officer would have walked the promenade / pool deck once or twice during 7 days.

I´m with many others I don´t really care who the CD is, though I have to say there are a few around that are so full of themselves I can hardly stand them:eek:

no, I'm not monitoring the promenade or pool deck. all i said was that i have yet to see the cd around the ship. and i agree some of them are full of themselves. but, as the "face" of the cruise or rccl or however you wanna put it, I think they should be more "available" (for lack of a better word) to cruisers and I was curious about others thoughts on the subject, thus this thread.

Archived