Elegant Dressing: Who still does it?

comeon530

I am going onmy first cruise in 14 days!!! I am so excited, however, how many elegant nights will be on the Carnival Inspiration 5 day cruise?

1 elegant night on a 5 day.

I want to add a comment on what the elegant dress was like on out cruise last week.

It was a 5 day Elation out of Mobile.

I did not see any tux's.

There was about a 50/50 split of jackets(or suits) compared to no jackets

with maybe a slight edge going with jackets.

on both sides it was also about 50/50 tie or no tie.

On the other nights, there were plenty of men in shorts.

I did not see any guys in wife beaters...but there were a few wearing baseball hats.:rolleyes:

Even I wouldn't do that in the MDR.:p

When I first started cruising in 1996, most people at least made an attempt to dress up. Not so much anymore. However, for me, my dress has actually gotten better. Where I used to wear a business suit, last year I bought tux and have been wearing that to elegant night ever since.

When I first started cruising in 1996, most people at least made an attempt to dress up. Not so much anymore. However, for me, my dress has actually gotten better. Where I used to wear a business suit, last year I bought tux and have been wearing that to elegant night ever since.

My ex (aka The Psycho :rolleyes:) talked me into buying a tuxedo in 2003. She convinced me it would pay for itself in the long run, as opposed to renting one. I have now been on 13 cruises ( and I have four more already booked) with that tuxedo, which has outlasted the Psycho by five years now. :D

The moral of this story is that a good tuxedo is worth far more than an evil woman. :D:eek::D

I just love it when a guy wears a suit or Tux on formal/elegant night..and a little nicer slacks and shirt..or really nice Bermuda type dress shorts..on other nights..I just like the evening meal in the dining room respected.

Now on my probably most casual 4 day Paradise cruise..some people at my table (12 people) were sorry they did not bring better things for the lobster/elegant night. They were fine and tried to wear a scarf/jewelry..or collared shirt to dress it up. We had the suites to the 1A's and the range of dressers..and the dressers do not always match the fanciest cabins...but I am so glad to hear it is 80 to 85% from you all who are out there regularly..it just adds that intangible this is the good life fantasy travel thing to it all..a little sparkle to life's everyday thing (and absolutely within reason do your own dress thing; this is ok by me)...sjn.

1 elegant night on a 5 day.

I want to add a comment on what the elegant dress was like on out cruise last week.

It was a 5 day Elation out of Mobile.

I did not see any tux's.

There was about a 50/50 split of jackets(or suits) compared to no jackets

with maybe a slight edge going with jackets.

on both sides it was also about 50/50 tie or no tie.

On the other nights, there were plenty of men in shorts.

I did not see any guys in wife beaters...but there were a few wearing baseball hats.:rolleyes:

Even I wouldn't do that in the MDR.:p

Hooray for no baseball caps:p...and I can't believe the return of the "wife beater" type shirt read about here..geez to me in this part of country it is a 1920's fashion underwear only thing..thank God around here the only dress down group at family restaurants is the baseball cap...and MOST...still take it off...I am so old-fashioned on that one..

And if a guy is bald..it is ok..don't use that to cover it up at the table...:rolleyes::p.

When we first cruised in '05, we told our 4 sons-ages 12-15-18 -21-- that dressing up in tuxes and suits/jackets was part of the experience. I guess my boys were weird because there were no complaints. So many people commented on how great everyone looked (the guys loved it) and we got some very nice, inexpensive formal portraits. The family friends who cruised with us had one boy and two girls and they also wore gowns and tuxes.

On our last 3 cruises, our group has continued to dress up on formal/elegant nights and the younger kids can hardly wait until those nights. The other nights they wear jackets w/wo ties and the girls wear nice dresses. (We have added a wife, fiance, and GF of the boys to our vacations.) The other family also dresses nice.

This is so cute..Auntie of 7 very actively and mom of none here..but my humble opinion is the kids caught the magic of it...

Even living in the casual "cowboy" country here..there is a magic respect in the nicer restaurants and even family restaurants that happens to the families that see how they are experiencing that step out of the ordinary together..when our whole group dressed up lately for a graduation and dinner..they joy and pride in the kids was so gratifying to me..sjn.

I don't want this to be an argument or discussion of the dress code. I'm just wondering how many people still like to dress up for dinner on Carnival cruises. I enjoy wearing and seeing others in their cocktail dresses and formal gowns. I'm planning to wear a gown on my next cruise. Am I alone in this?

DH and I said adios to formal wear when the cruise lines relaxed the dress codes and the airlines started charging for baggage! We never have cause to dress up at home in Fairbanks, and sliding into panty hose and heels (me) and a suit and tie (him) was very uncomfortable, indeed! We've been on plenty of cruises where we did just that... I have a closet full of gowns... But for the past couple of cruises and until they change back to the "formal attire required", we are much more relaxed. I wear a blouse and dress pants with flats, and he wears slacks and a decent button down shirt. Whew!~ We love the change and dragging less luggage around!

Cheers!

Taters

DH and I said adios to formal wear when the cruise lines relaxed the dress codes and the airlines started charging for baggage! We never have cause to dress up at home in Fairbanks, and sliding into panty hose and heels (me) and a suit and tie (him) was very uncomfortable, indeed!

Perhaps you should have brought clothes that fit. :confused:

DH and I said adios to formal wear when the cruise lines relaxed the dress codes and the airlines started charging for baggage! We never have cause to dress up at home in Fairbanks, and sliding into panty hose and heels (me) and a suit and tie (him) was very uncomfortable, indeed! We've been on plenty of cruises where we did just that... I have a closet full of gowns... But for the past couple of cruises and until they change back to the "formal attire required", we are much more relaxed. I wear a blouse and dress pants with flats, and he wears slacks and a decent button down shirt. Whew!~ We love the change and dragging less luggage around!

Cheers!

Taters

For what it's worth, I manage to get my tuxedo, tux shirt and accessories, patent leather shoes, and a navy blazer and dress shirt with tie for the second Elegant Night all in one check-in piece of luggage (a garment bag) and don't have to use the laundry on the ship. It can be done, but it takes some planning.

I lived in Fairbanks for four years. You mean you don't wear formal wear to the sled dog races or for Gold Rush Days? Tuxedos are definitely required for curling matches and at the Midnight Sun baseball game.

Maybe when they make panty hose out of cotton and high heels with cushion and that do away with the feeling that I'm constantly walking down hill... Oh yeah - and blister free! I'm used to wearing tennis shoes and sandals. Oy.

Taters

For what it's worth' date=' I manage to get my tuxedo, tux shirt and accessories, patent leather shoes, and a navy blazer and dress shirt with tie for the second Elegant Night all in one check-in piece of luggage (a garment bag) and don't have to use the laundry on the ship. It can be done, but it takes some planning.

I lived in Fairbanks for four years. You mean you don't wear formal wear to the sled dog races or for Gold Rush Days? Tuxedos are definitely required for curling matches and at the Midnight Sun baseball game.[/quote']

I work for the state, and even in the office no one wears "proper" business attire! Jeans, polo shirts and tennis shoes are standard for both sexes.

I am tired of dressing up for cruises. DH and I are following the cruise lines guidelines and do not feel the need to lug our formal wear along any more.

We just had our Golden Days celebration and are looking forward to the Tanana Valley State Fair next week. No heels or panty hose for me... Just a corn dog, thank you very much! LOL

Taters

I don't want this to be an argument or discussion of the dress code. I'm just wondering how many people still like to dress up for dinner on Carnival cruises. I enjoy wearing and seeing others in their cocktail dresses and formal gowns. I'm planning to wear a gown on my next cruise. Am I alone in this?

We still do it, but we have a house in Florida and dont have to fly with extra baggage.

If your are flying to the port it could all add up to extra charges

We just had our Golden Days celebration and are looking forward to the Tanana Valley State Fair next week. No heels or panty hose for me... Just a corn dog, thank you very much! LOL

Taters

We lived in a pink log cabin at 148 Second Avenue next to the Smith Apartments. It had been built during the gold rush and had sawdust insulation and had sunk down about three feet into the Chena River flood plain. When they had the big flood in 1967, it was covered with water and the fire department condemned it and came and burned it down. My oldest son was 3 then and was not amused at seeing his home in flames. We were also there for the huge earthquake in 1964.

We lived in a pink log cabin at 148 Second Avenue next to the Smith Apartments. It had been built during the gold rush and had sawdust insulation and had sunk down about three feet into the Chena River flood plain. When they had the big flood in 1967' date=' it was covered with water and the fire department condemned it and came and burned it down. My oldest son was 3 then and was not amused at seeing his home in flames. We were also there for the huge earthquake in 1964.[/quote']

Hi WeBe:

I know exactly where that is. I live in Island Homes, and our place is one block from the Chena. Our home was built in 1964 and went through the flood. My DH was born here in 1960 at St. Joseph Hospital and his family homesteaded on Chena Ridge. When the '67 flood hit, loads of folks headed up to the Ridge and camped out around my husband's family home. He and his friends still talk about those times, what with all the parents partying away night and day, passing the time until life could get back to "normal". LOL

Take care!

Taters

:eek::D:D:D:D....I along with the rest of my party enjoy dressing up. What I enjoy more the months of searching for the perfect dress(es). Dressing up in formal gowns on elegant night makes me feel like a queen for a week...and to be waited on all evening at dinner, is like icing on the cake.

I work all the time and I work in law enforcement, so I never have an opportunity to dress up in reality (unless I am going to church), so I make sure I get it in the week we are cruising. I appreciate the question being asked 'elegant dressing: who still does it; however, I dont want the cruise line to ready into this thread as 'elegant night is a thing of the past'. I am glad they provide options for those that do not like to 'dress up'.

I also use elegant night for an opportunity to take our annual family picture. My entire family is present and the prices of the packages are significantly cheaper than Sears, Olan Mills, etc.

So my response would be, KEEP ELEGANT NIGHT AND CONTINUE TO PROVIDE OPTIONS FOR THOSE THAT ARE NOT INTERESTED.

Most people still make an effort to dress up for dinner on elegant nights... probably 80 to 85%.

There is a very loud and vocal crowd which endorses the philosophy that a cruise dining room is no more classy than a MacDonald's. These people are often rude in their assertions and try to characterize anyone who likes to dress appropriately (rather than meet the lowest acceptable minimum) as being 90-years old' date=' uptight and unbearable.

They are wrong.

They will, however, very aggressively try to recruit you and brainwash you into their way of thinking. :rolleyes:

Be brave. Resist the infidels! :eek:[/quote']

:DWOW! thats the best description i've heard....you hit every nail right on the head!!!

......Yes it is about 85% that still dress up, I see no difference in the way people dress for Elegant night as they did when it was called formal night (including first time cruisers) I can not figureout what cruise these people are on who are saying no one dresses up.

We always dress up for elegant night. Hubby does not wear a tux but a suit and tie or dress shirt and tie depending on what I have on. I wear long dresses or cocktail dresses. We enjoy dressing up for dinner. It is something we don't do at home.

Hooray for no baseball caps:p...and I can't believe the return of the "wife beater" type shirt read about here..geez to me in this part of country it is a 1920's fashion underwear only thing..thank God around here the only dress down group at family restaurants is the baseball cap...and MOST...still take it off...I am so old-fashioned on that one..

And if a guy is bald..it is ok..don't use that to cover it up at the table...:rolleyes::p.

I know that one time Captain Merrill Stubing, sat down at the Captains

table and was waiting to be served while still wearing his hat.

Gopher made him remove it..shocking the Captains High School crush,

who had previously commented about how her old high school boyfriend had gone bald.:eek:

ok if yall don't know, that was on the Love Boat:D

Hi WeBe:

I know exactly where that is. I live in Island Homes, and our place is one block from the Chena. Our home was built in 1964 and went through the flood. My DH was born here in 1960 at St. Joseph Hospital and his family homesteaded on Chena Ridge. When the '67 flood hit, loads of folks headed up to the Ridge and camped out around my husband's family home. He and his friends still talk about those times, what with all the parents partying away night and day, passing the time until life could get back to "normal". LOL

Take care!

Taters

My oldest son was born in the same hospital in July of 1964, so I'm old enough to be your hubby's Daddy. :eek: When the Good Friday earthquake hit, my wife thought she was going into labor at first. Then she realized that her labor would not be making things fall onto the floor and all those rumbling freight-train type noises. :)

My oldest son was born in the same hospital in July of 1964' date=' so I'm old enough to be your hubby's Daddy. :eek: When the Good Friday earthquake hit, my wife thought she was going into labor at first. Then she realized that her labor would not be making things fall onto the floor and all those rumbling freight-train type noises. :)[/quote']

My husband turned 50 this summer. Oy... I am right behind him.

Nothing like a good earthquake to maneuver those children into the world! Earthquakes used to scare me, but not so much any more... The last interesting one we had here was in 2003. A 7 point something or other... No damage done, no one hurt. My formal wear survived...

Cheers!

taters

Cheers!

Taters

"the cruise lines relaxed the dress codes"

Carnival relaxed Carnival's dress code, "CRUISE LINES" did not relax their dress codes. Go to the MDR on PCL, HAL, Costa, or Cunard, all sister lines of Carnival, and you will be noticeably out of place unless dressed properly. RCL and X are also still formal and there is no real talk about any of them changing. Even MSC still has Formal Nights.

My ex (aka The Psycho :rolleyes:) talked me into buying a tuxedo in 2003. She convinced me it would pay for itself in the long run' date=' as opposed to renting one. I have now been on 13 cruises ( and I have four more already booked) with that tuxedo, which has outlasted the Psycho by five years now. :D

The moral of this story is that a good tuxedo is worth far more than an evil woman. :D:eek::D[/quote']

The defense of Formal Wear----------RESTS!:D

I dress up enough not to have any desire to on a vacation. With that said, it seems rediculous to have a "dress up" night on a budget cruise line. We will be sailing a luxury line that doesn't require us to "play" dress up!

Archived