Elegant Dressing: Who still does it?

comeon530

Interesting thread, and because it asked if you still dress up for elegenat night it ket the ranters down to a minimum. Yes, I do enjoy dressing up for elegant night and so does my DH. He doesn't wear a tux, but he sports a nice suit, and I usually pack one long gown for elegant night. Last year DH bought me a beautiful cocktail dress to wear on the second elegant night on the Legend. BUT :eek:the food was so good :rolleyes:for the first 4 days, that I did not fit in the dress by the time the second elegant night came around(just a word of warning). Now I am working out like crazy to get into that dress! Next cruise ...5 months...:)

Last year DH bought me a beautiful cocktail dress to wear on the second elegant night on the Legend. BUT :eek:the food was so good :rolleyes:for the first 4 days, that I did not fit in the dress by the time the second elegant night came around(just a word of warning). Now I am working out like crazy to get into that dress! Next cruise ...5 months...:)

OMG, I had the same problem with TWO of my dresses a few cruises ago! Sadly, I'm still not able to fit in them. I still have them hanging in my closet, because someday........

I'd agree with the 80-85% estimate.

We enjoy dressing for Elegant nights. We don't have many opportunities to dress up at home and our jobs allow us to dress as we please so it's nice to "primp" once in a while. :)

Why not just follow Carnival suggested dress for Elegant night. No suits, tuxes, ties required. Save on extra bag charges, airlines then are the losers.

Carnival does not "suggest" that you dress like you're going to McDonald's. They still suggest and encourage people to dress up for Elegant Night. If you're too self-centered to be capable of dressing appropriately, they will reluctantly "allow" you into the dining room just to keep from having to put up with the hissy fit you will throw, which will upset the diners who do know how to dress appropriately. I guess you could call it "giving in to the bullies". :)

Most people still make an effort to dress up for dinner on elegant nights... probably 80 to 85%.

There is a very loud and vocal crowd which endorses the philosophy that a cruise dining room is no more classy than a MacDonald's. These people are often rude in their assertions and try to characterize anyone who likes to dress appropriately (rather than meet the lowest acceptable minimum) as being 90-years old' date=' uptight and unbearable.

They are wrong.

They will, however, very aggressively try to recruit you and brainwash you into their way of thinking. :rolleyes:

Be brave. Resist the infidels! :eek:[/quote']

Why do you dis McDonald's? As I see it, you're the one bringing up what you claim others will push. I enjoy McDonald's, but I take my tuxedo and multiple bow tie/cummerbund sets for my cruises.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

We just took our kids on their first cruise and we all dressed up and it was so fun. We don't have the chance at home and I really wanted it to be special for them (but mostly me).

Nice photo...yes I like dressing up..easily and elegantly..

My family enjoys dressing up or properly to occaision...it's fun to see the next generation do that..the high school prom here was really all out..and my niece got a dress/long gown I told her.. she has to take it on a cruise...

I always want a few dressy things ready to go in my wardrobe...that can pack easily...with so many options online and even here we have a Ross..so if penny pinching to travel..it's still easy to find something...

For past few years...

I've had an elegant dressy slacks and jacket that are beautiful with a fancy top..no jacket one night and a more cami type top with jacket another night...it travels..this unique material and stretchy/flowy;). I love simple elegant things that one can buy new scarves and wraps and tops for...sjn.

Why do you dis McDonald's? As I see it, you're the one bringing up what you claim others will push. I enjoy McDonald's, but I take my tuxedo and multiple bow tie/cummerbund sets for my cruises.

Bob

Bobby, I'm not "dissing" McDonalds. I'm using it as an example of an ultra-casual fast food place where people drop in, no matter what they're wearing, to pick up something casual to eat. I also enjoy the occasional Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, but I don't think that what the average person wears to McDonalds is appropriate for the dining room of a cruise ship on Elegant Night..

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

The guy's version of what I do:).

Have loved your back to back plan..someday..really thought that would be great to see more of islands..now it's changed..like older method I think better for Hawaii...my favorite place..though have not cruised there...sjn.

Bobby' date=' I'm not "dissing" McDonalds. I'm using it as an example of an ultra-casual fast food place where people drop in, no matter what they're wearing, to pick up something casual to eat. I also enjoy the occasional Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, but I don't think that what the average person wears to McDonalds is appropriate for the dining room of a cruise ship on Elegant Night..[/quote']

You've missed my point, but that's OK! My point is that you're making an argument, in the thread, that doesn't exist. No person is suggesting that people should dress as if they're stopping at McDonald's, on their way home from the beach, but you're telling us that they are. You say that those people will try to persuade us to join them, but they haven't actually posted. The point is, that you're having a fight with GHOSTS. People on this thread appear to believe that dressing nice, dressing up, or dressing in formal wear is dinner as usual on elegant night, but your posts suggest that isn't the case.

Again, I will dress in my tuxedo, but my cruise experience will not be diminished one iota if someone shows up dressed in less than elegant attire.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

You've missed my point, but that's OK! My point is that you're making an argument, in the thread, that doesn't exist. No person is suggesting that people should dress as if they're stopping at McDonald's, on their way home from the beach, but you're telling us that they are. You say that those people will try to persuade us to join them, but they haven't actually posted. The point is, that you're having a fight with GHOSTS. People on this thread appear to believe that dressing nice, dressing up, or dressing in formal wear is dinner as usual on elegant night, but your posts suggest that isn't the case.

Bob

Bob, then perhaps you should have mentioned your actual point in your rather acerbic post, rather than dwell upon your perception that I am disrespecting McDonald's.

Pnjkeith did indeed advocate that people follow Carnival's "suggested" dress code and eliminate tuxes, suits and ties and you know that's not what Carnival is suggesting. He was proving the point I was making to the OP.

But another factor is that perhaps my caveat to the OP made those "dress-down-until-they-actually-refuse-you-entrance, people a wee bit less likely to jump in so aggressively. That, and the fact that, the title of the thread, which is asking how many people dress elegantly, brilliantly circumvented the usual furor which results from asking "what is the dress code".

Bob, you're perhaps trying to make a hill of beans out of a molehill. How's that for a mixed metaphor? I think we're both on the same page so there's really no need to be contentious about it. :)

It is interesting to read threads like this, but basically it boils down to personal choice! It is YOUR/MY money that paid for this cruise or vacation, and it is really no ones business what we wear to dinner! If you want to dress up you look great! If you want to dress casual and comfortable, enjoy your dinner! So long as you are not rude, loud mouthed, nor rowdy,neither one of you will change the way my meal has been prepared nor the taste of it!:D

No one has the right to ban me to the Lido for my attire except the cruise line, in which case I will have the option of finding different vacation venues.

At age 75 with a wonderful wife of 52 years we have learned that there are a lot of things in life more important then clothing. Loss of children, cancer and other health problems are just a few of them. It doesn't matter how much money you have, nor how important you believe you are, the only reality if that life is short! Make the most of it, get right with God and enjoy! Getting upset over how one dresses for dinner ranks low on the totem pole!:D:D

What an excellent perspective!

Sometimes we do dress in Formal attire but mostly we stick with casual elegance, suit without tie and a cocktail dress. We both have to attend formal events for work all the time and really aren't that interested in dressing up on vacation.

I find the 80 to 90% observations high but whatever and really only a couple of people getting their panties in a wad...nice!

Live & let live people.

I didn't dress up much before my first cruise (understatement) but really got into it and enjoy it now. Including at home. Even to McDonalds it wouldn't be jeans anymore. Funny what a boat trip can do to change your life.

Carnival does not "suggest" that you dress like you're going to McDonald's. They still suggest and encourage people to dress up for Elegant Night. If you're too self-centered to be capable of dressing appropriately' date=' they will reluctantly "allow" you into the dining room just to keep from having to put up with the hissy fit you will throw, which will upset the diners who do know how to dress appropriately. I guess you could call it "giving in to the bullies". :)[/quote']

I usually feel bad for those first time cruisers who read the "wrong" posts, and come back and say how undressed they felt.

When we first cruised in '05, we told our 4 sons-ages 12-15-18 -21-- that dressing up in tuxes and suits/jackets was part of the experience. I guess my boys were weird because there were no complaints. So many people commented on how great everyone looked (the guys loved it) and we got some very nice, inexpensive formal portraits. The family friends who cruised with us had one boy and two girls and they also wore gowns and tuxes.

On our last 3 cruises, our group has continued to dress up on formal/elegant nights and the younger kids can hardly wait until those nights. The other nights they wear jackets w/wo ties and the girls wear nice dresses. (We have added a wife, fiance, and GF of the boys to our vacations.) The other family also dresses nice.

I'm one of those casual slobs who lives in the buffet most of the cruise, but we always dress up for at least one of the formal nights. I love going shopping for a new cocktail dress each cruise. My husband has a standard classy black suit and I usually get him a new tie that has at least a smidge of color that will be in my dress. I feel like we are going to prom on Formal Night. Oops, I mean "elegant" night. It's also the only time in our lives when we can get decent pics of us taken.

In another post, someone mentioned that they wouldn't be surprised if CCL eventually did away with Elegant Night. I seriously doubt it, as it appears to be a pretty good cash cow for all the purchased photos.

In another post, someone mentioned that they wouldn't be surprised if CCL eventually did away with Elegant Night. I seriously doubt it, as it appears to be a pretty good cash cow for all the purchased photos.

Only a very small minority wishes that. The polls ALWAYS show that.

We dress elegantly for Cruise Elegant night. We do not, however, dress formally. One of the reasons we like Carnival is that we can dress the way we prefer. We ALWAYS comply with the dress code and ALWAYS look elegant. If the formal attire wearers have a problem with us, we don't care. I wear a cocktail dress and DH wears dress pants and a dress shirt. In no way would we feel out of place with people in tuxes or formal gowns. We just don't care what other people wear.

We do not wear anything in the dining room that is not allowed by the dress code.

I'm glad cruise lines still offer elegant nights. It is one of the aspects of cruising that appeals to us. Something different than everyday life at home or other types of casual vacations. I enjoy the sand in my toes AND wearing a tuxedo. (just not both at the same time:rolleyes:) I always wear at least a suit, but will probably bring a tux on the next cruise to celebrate our 25th. I does not matter to me what other people are wearing.

Archived