Elegant Dressing: Who still does it?

comeon530

This is our 5th cruise...we always 'dress up' for dinner...a sort of 'transition' between daytime fun and evening fun!

DD18 and myself will wear 'dressy' dresses w/'blingier' jewelry on Elegant Night. Plan to wear a dress each evening for dinner. We have late seating, so after a full day of 'fun'...it's enjoyable to take the time to get ready for dinner. DH doesn't 'enjoy' a shirt/tie...however, for the 2 elegant nights...he packs 1 jacket, 1 pr. slacks...& 2 nice shirts & ties...after dinner...he'll probably remove tie. As others have said....it's a great opportunity for a photo op. We take plenty of 'casual' pics during the trip.

Just can't understand how others think that MDR is anything but a 'nice restaurant'....on land....you just wouldn't go to a 'nice restaurant' in shorts/t-shirt/etc. If you want a 'casual dinner'...then the Lido is a perfect choice.

It's nice to read all the 'positive' comments about ppl still dressing up for dinner. That's one of the wonderful things about Carnival cruises....there are many 'choices' for everyone. If you choose to dine in the MDR....it simply make sense to dress for the occasion. If you feel like staying in shorts/t-shirt....the Lido is 'dinner destination' for the evening.

Getting on the Splendor tomorrow....in Long Beach today....it's beautiful....morning, cool & overcast....just about 1pm...the sun & blue skies have appeared.

Coming up...7-nights of cruise enjoyment & dressing up for dinner =0)

I've never been assailed by the Big Mac group. Lucky me! The waiters and the menu certainly don't look like McDonald's. DH usually wears a suit and tie and I wear a gown or formal pants/top. On our last cruise, on Ecstasy, nearly a third looked more like they were headed for the rodeo. My next cruise is with a friend and I may take it down a small notch. To each their own, I guess. The cruise lines have to bend to the tastes of their customers if they want them to keep coming-unfortunately.

If you really want to go formal, try Celebrity. We were on the Infinity last Fall and tuxes/gowns were almost the rule. There were still a lot of suits but DH felt almost underdressed. However, even on Celebrity, the dress code was relaxed three times between purchasing our tickets and sailing.

IMO because you are asking on cruise critic, where a lot of members tend to be long time cruisers who enjoy fixed dining and dressing up you are going to get a lot of people saying that it is still a big deal to dress up.

IMO when you get on the ship you will find that the vast majority of people do not dress up like they did in the past.

I have found that most men have left the suits and often the sport coats at home and tuxes are few and far between. I don't see many women in formal dresses, but lots of pant suits and sun dresses.

Yes, you will see everything.... but I don't think it has anything to do with age or long-time cruisers vs younger cruisers.

When we asked my daughters and sons-in-law if they wanted to cruise with us this year, I suggested perhaps they might like NCL better because it doesn't require dressing up.

The response from all of them was "but we LIKE to dress up, Makes it feel special"

so go figure... :D

Most people still make an effort to dress up for dinner on elegant nights... probably 80 to 85%.

There is a very loud and vocal crowd which endorses the philosophy that a cruise dining room is no more classy than a MacDonald's. These people are often rude in their assertions and try to characterize anyone who likes to dress appropriately (rather than meet the lowest acceptable minimum) as being 90-years old' date=' uptight and unbearable.

They are wrong.

They will, however, very aggressively try to recruit you and brainwash you into their way of thinking. :rolleyes:

Be brave. Resist the infidels! :eek:[/quote']

You have summed up perfectly how it is re dress code and the online nonsense here everytime anybody brings up the topic.

I don't know why a Sticky is not put at the top of the Carnival page to put this topic to rest.

We have been on one cruise and my wife wore a nice dress and I wore a suit and tie. On our next cruise we will also dress the same for elegant night (provided we are not eating on the Lido deck but that is a different topic). I don't own a tux and am not going to rent one but will dress in my suit and tie. I like dressing up sometimes, feels good.

The majority of men will be dressed in a business suit. I got a chance to pick up black tie items at a very good price (cheaper than renting) from http://uniformalwearhouse.com/. That is the only reason I have them. There are absolutely no opportunities to get dressed up around here and we do like to look our best once in a while. :D

Doc

Just got off the Triumph 7 night and we were late seating, Paris dining room. On the first elegant night, we counted 4 tuxes and no formal floor

length gowns. (there obviously may have been more-- just reporting what we saw). The second elegant night, two of those four switched to suits and ties. This was what we saw on the second floor and perusing the first floor.

I'd say on that cruise for elegant night, mens jackets were about the same amount as mens polo shirts with no jackets.

I dress up because I am in either casual clothes or business attire(work) when I'm not cruising. Dressing up and doing elegant night, I make the effort to do so. I enjoy my gowns and dresses and my DH in his kilt formal wear(hands off gals he's mine:D). I can wear jeans & t-shirts and my casual wear the rest of my time on the ship. Whether others want to bother or make the effort to dress up for elegant night that's totally up to them. Its their vacation. I choose to dress up because I really enjoy elegant night and formal pics of me and DH.

I'm just the opposite, which is why I choose to dress-down while on vacation.

That's not to say that I don't thoroughly enjoy admiring other women's lovely gowns! :)

We still dress for formal/elegant night. My husband wears his tux and I wear long gowns. In fact I just got a great deal and bought two more. The other days my husband wears a suit and I wear a nice dress. The first and last nights are dress pants and shirt for my husband and a casual dress for me. We like getting dressed up and it adds to the ambiance of the cruise.

Years ago, my then wife would dress to the 9s, so I'd have to bring my tux or a nice suit just to keep someone from stealing her. :D

Nowadays, sans that beautiful woman :rolleyes:, I usually cruise solo and take a nice suit for the elegant/formal nights or I just don't attend.

Lately (last September SPLENDOR and October ELATION) I haven't seen very many tuxes, but most men are dressed in a suit, some with ties others not. Most women always dress nicely, IMHO. It really doesn't matter to me.

I will also say. anybody that categorizes Carnival's main dining experience as "elegant" is either a hard-core cheerleader or needs to get out more.:)

(and she's still beauitful after all these years and a close friend) :D

Your host is asking you to look 'elegant' for that evening and I wish everyone would. If not, the buffet is still open. I would hope the dress code is more strictly enforced in the future and not toned down.

The 85-90% estimate of those actually dressing up is about right...maybe more.

We typically cruise on Spring Break and the school Christmas break. Last time was March 2010. DH wore dress pants, dress shirt and tie. When we started walking to dinner, we both said we would have felt better if he had on a suit or sportcoat. It looked like many of the families were using the Elegant night as an opportunity to train the next generation of ladies and gentlemen. Saw 10-15 tuxes, including a couple on teens, some women in beaded gowns, majority of women in cocktail attire. Probably back to a dark suit for DH next cruise.

Our family also enjoys dressing for dinner! Suits for DH and our little guy and my daughter and I are always in dresses. I would estimate that alteast 75% of those we have encountered on our six cruises dresses for dinner.

With regard to how many dress up for formal nights, it is my experience that much depends upon the length of the cruise and the departure port. The shorter cruises being less formal. That being said, my husband and I enjoy dressing up (and the lovely photos resulting) but with our next cruise a 12 day Med trip, and the airline restrictions on luggage, a lot will depend upon what we can fit in our 50 pound luggage allowance.

Thanks for the replies! I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. Cruising is one of the few times we actually dress up, and I love getting the photos. I hope there will always be some of the 'elegance' maintained.

pozz, I really don't want to get into what is and isn't appropiate for the dining room. There are plenty of threads on that. Nobody said you had to get a tux.

I dont have much occasion to dress up at home, and I dress casually for my work, so it is a nice change when I am on a cruise, to dress up for dinner, and especially on the elegant evenings. I get a chance to wear the things that I rarely can at home. It adds a touch of elegance to an otherwise casual atmoshpere. You can be casual all day, but nice to dress up a bit for dinner.:)

It is interesting to read threads like this, but basically it boils down to personal choice! It is YOUR/MY money that paid for this cruise or vacation, and it is really no ones business what we wear to dinner! If you want to dress up you look great! If you want to dress casual and comfortable, enjoy your dinner! So long as you are not rude, loud mouthed, nor rowdy,neither one of you will change the way my meal has been prepared nor the taste of it!:D

No one has the right to ban me to the Lido for my attire except the cruise line, in which case I will have the option of finding different vacation venues.

At age 75 with a wonderful wife of 52 years we have learned that there are a lot of things in life more important then clothing. Loss of children, cancer and other health problems are just a few of them. It doesn't matter how much money you have, nor how important you believe you are, the only reality if that life is short! Make the most of it, get right with God and enjoy! Getting upset over how one dresses for dinner ranks low on the totem pole!:D:D

I don't want this to be an argument or discussion of the dress code. I'm just wondering how many people still like to dress up for dinner on Carnival cruises. I enjoy wearing and seeing others in their cocktail dresses and formal gowns. I'm planning to wear a gown on my next cruise. Am I alone in this?

I like getting the chance to sport my tux.

:D

I wear a long evening gown and my husband wears a suit on the elegant nights. The remaining nights, if we eat in the MDR, I wear a blouse and slacks or a dress and my husband wears shirt and tie..no jacket (he hates them ;)).

My daughter (now 12) loves getting dressed up every night. Last night we went to the mall to get a couple of bathing suits and she ended up with 2 new formal gowns to wear (sorta like toned down prom dresses) on the 2 elegant nights in 3 weeks...woohoo!! (couldn't turn down the buy 1 get 1 free deal)

On a side note... Yes, I love getting dressed up and seeing others dressed up. But, I have no problems with how others dress. That's their business. Wear what you want. Just keep it covered!!;)

Archived