sdmike's review & daily diary of Epic's inaugural western Caribbean cruise

sdmike

So do you not have to be staying in one of the expensive cabins to be up in the posh area you discovered? Or does it matter? Maybe people were not up there because it was too darn hot out and no pool close by?

I think it was because most people just didn't know it was there, honestly. We were able to walk around all over the place up there without restriction. It was very pleasant and had a nice breeze being towards the front and up high.

Hi Mike - Best Review Ever

One question since you were on the 14th floor did you notice if the spa complex key access (SD - 14153). Would like to know.

Not sure how the access worked for the spa rooms. Sorry. The rest of us went to the main lobby of the spa/gym and turned in our card key for a spa key.

Hey Mike...again, great review and pics. I saw that you said something about checking for liquids before you embarked. Does that mean that you couldn't bring soda/water on board? Also, we planned on bringing some of our own wine onboard. Was that a problem as well? Do you know if the corkage fee is still $15.00 per bottle?

Thanks! (and disregard the malcontents...they live to be miserable regardless) :rolleyes:

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review! And the pictures...WOW...I think you've made my decision for me! We've been going back and forth trying to decide which ship and itinerary we'd like and I think you just sold me! The monkeys in Roatan sold my girls!

Quick question though, sorry if you elaborated and I missed it. I was wondering more about the kids club? Plenty to do? Kids had a great time?

Thanks again!

That was the best review I have ever had the pleasure of reading! Thank You for the time and effort you put forth, to share your adventure with all of us!

Why do people feel compelled to express their negative .02 on these boards??? Keep your drab comments to yourself, specifically on a review.:(

Mike, if you get a chance, can you comment about the "ice" up on the sports deck? I saw in the western daily they have "open skating" on a few nights, and a few hockey events on certain afternoons.

Also, did you see any advantage to "premium seating" at the Circue dinner?

Thank You again, and we anxiously await see the Dailies.

Mike

I didn't dig deep, but there were no exposed plugs that I saw. The TV is mounted on a protrusion that provides a shelf behind the TV and hides any wiring. Maybe someone on a future cruise can dig deeper, but I didn't notice any.

From my recollection there were connections right on the side or bottom of the television that would enable you to plug something in.

SDMike - have to hand it to you. Great review and great pictures. You covered most of what I wanted to know about.

I see that they did not dock at Mahogany Bay in Roatan. Sort of relieved. Have not really heard many great things about it.

Sorry you missed Costa Maya.

Thanks again!!

Hey Mike...again, great review and pics. I saw that you said something about checking for liquids before you embarked. Does that mean that you couldn't bring soda/water on board? Also, we planned on bringing some of our own wine onboard. Was that a problem as well? Do you know if the corkage fee is still $15.00 per bottle?

Thanks! (and disregard the malcontents...they live to be miserable regardless) :rolleyes:

They made us get rid of our open water bottles. Sealed would have been ok. Sorry for the confusion. Not sure about the wine, but I read somewhere else that the corkage was, in fact, $15

Great review! Great pics! So glad you had such a wonderful time.

Thanks for all the postings and reviews. Love the pics. What kind of camera?

Thanks! I used two cameras. The widescreen pics are from a little Kodak MX1063 10mp camera. It's fine in outdoor conditions, but doesn't do great in dim light, zoom or video. For that I use my workhorse...my Canon S3 IS. Those are the non-widescreen pics, including any long zooms (like the Oasis pics)

From my recollection there were connections right on the side or bottom of the television that would enable you to plug something in.

Thanks for the add! I saw the controls on the right side but no plugs. I wish I would have looked more closely since I know this question had been asked before. :o

Hi Scott - I'm sorry, I really don't know about Chankanaab as we just hung out in the area around the port. However, I've never found a shortage of vans and cabs in ANY port I've visited. You might want to post your question in the ports of call section of the board. I believe there is a specific forum on Cozumel, and you'll likely be able to get an answer there. Have fun!

As you enter the port, you will need to go upstairs to cross the main street there. This will lead you into the shopping plaza and several nice little shops. Continue heading directly away from the ship and, after the last shop (a rental car place), go down the stairs and turn right (you will still be heading away from the ship. In front of yyou will be a taxi stand with a list of destinations and prices (in US dollars) and several drivers/representatives who will wave the next cab in line over to you. We took a cab to Sunset Beach (for SNUBA with Sand Dollar Sports) which is al most down to the dock where the Oasis was. The cost of a taxi for that distance was only 7 dollars. I know I saw Chankanaab on the price-board but do not recall the fare.

SDMike - have to hand it to you. Great review and great pictures. You covered most of what I wanted to know about.

I see that they did not dock at Mahogany Bay in Roatan. Sort of relieved. Have not really heard many great things about it.

Sorry you missed Costa Maya.

Thanks again!!

Oh! Something that I forgot to add, I think. There were 3 ships expected to dock in Roatan that day. Two in Mahogany Bay and one where we did. The two for Mahogany Bay never made it into port due to waves! We had the island to ourselves.

As you enter the port, you will need to go upstairs to cross the main street there. This will lead you into the shopping plaza and several nice little shops. Continue heading directly away from the ship and, after the last shop (a rental car place), go down the stairs and turn right (you will still be heading away from the ship. In front of yyou will be a taxi stand with a list of destinations and prices (in US dollars) and several drivers/representatives who will wave the next cab in line over to you. We took a cab to Sunset Beach (for SNUBA with Sand Dollar Sports) which is al most down to the dock where the Oasis was. The cost of a taxi for that distance was only 7 dollars. I know I saw Chankanaab on the price-board but do not recall the fare.

Hey! I know you. :) Welcome bro. I didn't know you guys took a cab down there. I thought you did an excursion.

Loved this review! It has so much new information I had to take notes. The pictures were great and I especially loved the photos of the ship taken from the aeroplane. We are doing the Eastern on 1/1/11 and simply can't wait. Thanks Mike.:D

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review! And the pictures...WOW...I think you've made my decision for me! We've been going back and forth trying to decide which ship and itinerary we'd like and I think you just sold me! The monkeys in Roatan sold my girls!

Quick question though, sorry if you elaborated and I missed it. I was wondering more about the kids club? Plenty to do? Kids had a great time?

Thanks again!

Alissa - The Recess kids club is gigantic! They have video game stations, a beanbag movie room, climbing/crawling stuff, crafts areas and so much more. They have a lot of structured programs in the evenings, and during the game there is a lot of free play time (my daughter's favorite). My DD9 and her cousin (also 9) had a blast!

See below

That was the best review I have ever had the pleasure of reading! Thank You for the time and effort you put forth, to share your adventure with all of us!

Why do people feel compelled to express their negative .02 on these boards??? Keep your drab comments to yourself, specifically on a review.:(

Mike, if you get a chance, can you comment about the "ice" up on the sports deck? I saw in the western daily they have "open skating" on a few nights, and a few hockey events on certain afternoons.

I didn't skate, but I heard it was pretty interesting. They use a thick, slick plastic. Maybe someone can chime in on what it was like to actually skate on it.

Well, you get a better view of the performance if you're in one of the tables next to the center stage. However, you will also get harassed by the performers. :) I was perfectly fine sitting up top out of harm's way. lol

Mike

Mike

With regard to the 'ice'... I didn't skate on it but have been on surfaces like this before. It 'sounds' wierd (if you notice), it grabs a bit more on edge (can't really do a good ice-throwing hockey-stop) and it drags a bit more so you have to work a little harder to make distance or speed. The surface is comprised of a puzzle of thick plastic (HDPE or cutting-board material) then coated with a combination of an oil and another solution to make it slick. It is strongly recommended that you wear clothes that you don't care much about since they will get oily if you happen to fall on the 'rink' which has no side rails or anything to hold onto while skating on the 16th deck of a moving ship.

Thanks for the great review and photos. Also thanks for answering the climbing shoe question on my thread. Couple questions about Zip n Dip.

Did your driver hold your day stuff in his van will you zipped and monkeyed around :p or did you carry any bags with you?

Did you get to choose the beach or did your driver make the selection?

Did you tip both the zip line guides and your driver?

We are only hours away from leaving :D and your review was very helpful.

P.S. Don't think CC wants me to stalk the Epic anymore; this is the first time this weekend CC has allowed me to log on.

We just left our stuff in the van at victor's place with the zip line. No problem. Also, since we had 11 in our group we had a private van/driver so we could go anywhere we wanted. In most cases you will share a van and I guess would have to compromise on where to go. Infinity bay had at least 6 vans though, so if tat looked good to you it's likely a spot they will take you with no issues. As for tipping, yes, we tipped everyone. We had 3 guides helping us on the zips. They worked hard. I think we gave them $40 to share. We also tipped the animal guide $10 for making that a great experience, and then I. Think we gave our driver another $50. Combine this with the $700 for the tour and we did our share to bolster the roatan economy :)

Thanks for the great review and photos. Also thanks for answering the climbing shoe question on my thread. Couple questions about Zip n Dip.

Did your driver hold your day stuff in his van will you zipped and monkeyed around :p or did you carry any bags with you?

Did you get to choose the beach or did your driver make the selection?

Did you tip both the zip line guides and your driver?

We are only hours away from leaving :D and your review was very helpful.

P.S. Don't think CC wants me to stalk the Epic anymore; this is the first time this weekend CC has allowed me to log on.

Mike,

BRAVO and WOW. Thank you for taking the time to fill us in. The review was wonderful and the pics great as well. You might want to sell some of them to NCL!! Your review put our excitement right back where it should be!!!!!!

You have fed our NESS!!! I couldnt wait to put my kids to bed tonight so that i could finish reading your review!! Now you need to go on the eastern and do a review of that!!

But again, thank you for taking time out of your vacation to put together such an informative, action packed review!! I loved that you actually made us LOL at times!!!!!!!!!!