sdmike's review & daily diary of Epic's inaugural western Caribbean cruise

sdmike

Mike,

Thanks for a fantastic and thorough review. Almost felt like I was peeking over you shoulder the entire cruise.

Have a question though.

Really? :D:D:D:D

Course now, I have been on cruises where some guys were accused of having no taste in pants . . . . . just saying. :p

LOL, I was going to post about that too but by the time I was done reading everything, I had forgot, plus I would have never been able to find that part of the post again. hehe

Thanks for a very enjoyable read on a Sunday morning.

It was one of the best reviews/writeups I have seen on CC. Cannot wait for your 'EPIC" photo montage.

Now I need to find a way to lower the level of my excitement as we do not board for 13 more days...

Thankyou so much Mike for the awsome review!! I cut and pasted all your posts into word and printed out 25 ish pages and just thoroughly enjoyed reading them!

Cant wait for our western cruise on the magnificent Epic...

Thanks for taking the time to share with us...much appreciated!!:D

Sara - I'm sorry you feel a need to read so much into my posts regarding my opinion towards gays or adult-oriented content in any of the shows. I enjoyed them, but I wanted to point out that Cirque and Howl At The Moon may not be for everyone. I think whether or not I mention how I felt about the issues/insecurities of those offended by the content is irrelevant. I just happened to mention my amusement at the actions of those in HATH as they ran from the theater with their hands over their kid's ears. If that would have happened at Cirque I would have mentioned it too. Again, no need to read something into my posts that isn't there, especially some accusation that I'm borderline homophobic. Please. You don't know me well enough to make those assumptions.

If you would like to discuss this off-line, please feel free to email me. :)

Mike,

Great and extensive review, Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. One quick ? or two....did you use your own laptop on board or did you use the ship's computers? Was the use of ship's computers included in the internet cost?I don't really want to carry the extra weight of my laptop....maybe I should get a netbook:rolleyes:...lol

Neverthought

Edited by neverthought

Thanks for posting such a complete and informative review. DH and I are doing Back to Back cruises on the Epic starting 9/25 and we cannot wait.

I have to chime in the Gay, raunchy, Jewish joke, song etc. issue. I have Gay friends who find Gay jokes offensive and I do not believe being offended by such jokes to be a sign of homophobia. We all of different comfort levels and those levels can also change depending on the venue and who is telling the joke. For example, Chris Rock has a routine that includes a riff on "Why I hate (insert N word here)s." I am quite sure that if someone other than an African-American had such a routine in their act, there would be an outpouring of people who were offended.

My recollection is that Frommer's review mentioned disliking the Rabbi section of the Cirque show and to quote Peter Knego’s blog on Maritime Matter: “The acrobatics, lighting and technical aspects were impressive but it was far too long and the hammy dialogue and drawn out juggling routines were at times groan-inducing. The dated gender stereotyping was annoying (Hello, “Prince Charmaine”?), if just not plain offensive, too.”

[quote name=aldeya;25434226

here we go again. Political correctness at its finest. Sara' date=' we do "honestly think about themselves and others".

But can we just enjoy a review without comments like this? Geez.....

+1

This was a great thread otherwise.

Mike,

Great and extensive review, Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. One quick ? or two....did you use your own laptop on board or did you use the ship's computers? Was the use of ship's computers included in the internet cost?I don't really want to carry the extra weight of my laptop....maybe I should get a netbook:rolleyes:...lol

Neverthought

I used my own laptop and just typed it into Word. I had to take my laptop anyway because I was spending the next week working/vacationing at my folk's house.

SD Mike's review is awesome and much appreciated by most. I had to go back and reread what all the fuss is about. Lets get back to talking about how awesome the Epic is. I for one can't wait to get on it! I just wish Mike would have gone on the Eastern leg!

That was the best review ever! I spent a pleasant afternoon in my back garden reading all about your fabulous week on the Epic! Can't wait for the pictures. I even contemplated cancelling what we had arranged in Roatan so I could do the zipline which I was always scared of doing, but you made it sound fabulous and not too scary! We have 3 weeks to go and following your review it can't come soon enough.

Hey Mike,

Great read and your correctness is just fine. If people put in as much time and effort into making the world a better place as they did this political correctness crap the world would be a lot happier and safer place.

I have one more question, oh wise and wonderful Mike from SD!!! Regarding Cozumel, are there vans / taxi's there that can take you to Chankanaab Park?

I have an electric scooter...it's small, but was wondering if if van taxi can travel the distance from Cozumel to Chankanaab?

Again, thnk you in advance.

Scott & Hope in Miami

Hi Scott - I'm sorry, I really don't know about Chankanaab as we just hung out in the area around the port. However, I've never found a shortage of vans and cabs in ANY port I've visited. You might want to post your question in the ports of call section of the board. I believe there is a specific forum on Cozumel, and you'll likely be able to get an answer there. Have fun!

I really think now I really have to spoil the "kids" on this cruise. Even though this will be a large expense, I think I can pull it off. Memories are what matter and I want them to have fun and get a good first time experience in cruising. My son gets sea sick easy so I know he will have to take Bonine every day but at least your review answers the motion and lack of it even in rough seas so I think he will survive better on a larger ship. I am a little afraid of putting him on the smaller boats as they can rock and roll. Believe me I know! Went on NCL Majesty 3 times (40,000 tons) and a rock and roller! Loved staggering down the hallways though. Your looked like you were drunk w/o drinking. LOL First time I was ever sea sick was in a storm coming back from Bermuda on her in a storm. Didn't take my seasick meds..Stupid I know but I was a novice cruiser then. Still had a special place in my heart for the little ship. Crazy I know..she was just a rust bucket to some but to me she was my first cruise experience on NCL. I had been on Carnival before that on a larger boat. But I digress..Thanks again! You made my day reading your review. Great stuff! You are a good writer.:)

ok. Time for some pictures. I'm going to separate these by day to help match events to the pictures. We took over 1500 of them, so if there's anything you need to see let me know.

This is Day 0 - Some pics in Miami before we left. The rain/storm pictures are due to tropical storm Bonnie cruising through.

014-vi.jpg

013-vi.jpg

028-vi.jpg

041-vi.jpg

045-vi.jpg

057-vi.jpg