Best port for whale watching

FloridaMimi

:) Hi, We will be taking a Alaska cruise next year in July 2011 so I am researching the ports of call. Which port would be best for whale watching. Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan? Also, is it best to book an excursion through the cruise line or from private venders in port? Thank you for any info. :)

Juneau is the only port of those 3 where you will find dedicated whale watching tours. The vendor that the cruise ships use has large boats (over 100 passengers). There are several independent operators who get good reviews here on CC - Harv & Marv and Orca Enterprises - for example. I've gone with Orca (had less than 30 on the boat) and had a good experience - it would have been better if it hadn't been raining the entire excursion - but that's Alaska for you.

P.S. Just reread your post - if you decide to go independent, I'd suggest that you book in advance. The good vendors will probably be sold out by the time you get to port.

I would second doing it out of Juneau. We had a decent experience with Orca, would have been perfect if we hadn't been paired with a party of foreigners that didn't understand 2:45 meant 2:45 not 3 something.

Private as the other poster said gets you a smaller boat with fewer people fighting for rail space when you see a whale, but be warned like the other poster said be prepared for the weather to be raining and still have a good time.

Find a picture of what the cruiseline boat tour looks like, view from our much smaller Orca boat with 13 or so on it.

:) Hi, We will be taking a Alaska cruise next year in July 2011 so I am researching the ports of call. Which port would be best for whale watching. Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan? Also, is it best to book an excursion through the cruise line or from private venders in port? Thank you for any info. :)

1473864434_470WhaleWatching.jpg.7e9b8824cd057660276d00e9c372e3e8.jpg

Archived