Tipping in Europe in Dollars or Euros?

NYteacher

I usually like to bring $50 in singles for tipping porters and room service. It just now occurred to me that I should wait and get Euros for this purpose for my upcoming Italy/Greece/Turkey cruise. I would prefer to just travel with the dollars rather than worrying about getting the small bills there.

Any thoughts?

I've been told the crew on the Med cruises prefer Euros so they can spend them instead of the hassle of changing American dollars back into Euros. Most international airports have a money exchange............that is what I used!!

For tips on land, it's always best to use the local currency, except perhaps in some second and third world places where they like getting the hard currencies. But for Europe, use the official currency. Otherwise the porters and all have to take the dollars to the bank or exchange facility and pay a fee, which diminishes your generosity and their bottom line. Around the Mediterranean, the Euro seemed to be more appreciated, and some countries don't accept dollars ... officially.

But if all you have is dollars, then give those. No coins.

This is a relatively easy question to which you can determine your own best answer.

Imagine that you are working here in the United States waiting tables...

You latest table is a group from Europe.

Do you want to be tipped in US Dollars or would you like your tip to be in Euros?

I've been told the crew on the Med cruises prefer Euros so they can spend them instead of the hassle of changing American dollars back into Euros. Most international airports have a money exchange............that is what I used!!

When we've cruised in Europe on a US-based cruise line where the normal currency in use is the US dollar, we always tipped in dollars and never saw or heard anything that would indicate that was a problem or inappropriate.

On land, we used the local currency, Euro, Pound, etc. , of course.

When we've cruised in Europe on a US-based cruise line where the normal currency in use is the US dollar, we always tipped in dollars and never saw or heard anything that would indicate that was a problem or inappropriate.

On land, we used the local currency, Euro, Pound, etc. , of course.

Agree 100%.

This is a relatively easy question to which you can determine your own best answer.

Imagine that you are working here in the United States waiting tables...

You latest table is a group from Europe.

Do you want to be tipped in US Dollars or would you like your tip to be in Euros?

Except on a US-based cruise line, the currency in use aboard the ship for pricing goods and services is the US dollar, not the local currency, and the dollar is perfectly OK for tipping on board. On land, of course, use the local currency.

Sure, it's ok... and who on earth would complain to your face?

But the same principle applies, I would think. I can imagine those on board would like to be able to do things on the time they get in port - and it is sort of a hassle for them to exchange the funds as well.

On the cruise ship by all means tip in USA currency.

Tipping the porters at the pier is a different story. You should tip in the local currency in most places such as in Euros for places such as Italy and Greece. Not sure where you begin and end. If you begin or end in Turkey, USA, Euros or British Pounds would be fine in lieu of Turkish Lira.

Keith

Archived