Best non-drowsy motion sick remedy?

annecolorgreen

... eat a green apple if you start feeling seasick. Never needed to do this, but thought I'd pass it along.

Hmm, never heard that one. But it's a moot point because OP can't take fruit off the ship for their excursions anyway. :)

I took Bonine once on a cruise - never again. I was out of it for two days. Ugh.

---> OP, I find the Sea Bands wrist bands work great - I even used them while I was pregnant! Awesomeness.

You forgot Maryann's friend.

Call me superstitious, but if Ginger invites me on a 3 hour cruise, I'm staying home! :D:eek:

I don't drink much ginger ale so I'm not sure which one has the most real ginger in it, but apparently you can make it yourself:p

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ginger-Ale

I haven't seen anyone mention the Transderm patch yet (scopolamine) This requires a prescription, but is my mother's favorite anti-seasickness option (she also used it when she had a terrible bout of vertigo a couple years ago, and I had it prescribed after surgery once to deal with side effects of other medication) Obviously, this requires a visit to the doctor.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000697

I don't drink much ginger ale so I'm not sure which one has the most real ginger in it, but apparently you can make it yourself:p

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ginger-Ale

Thanks! I'll be making a few gallons of that & bringing it on my next cruise, lol :D.

Several of the crew on the Mercury advised me about the green apples but they didn't work for me either :(.

Another vote for seabands.

I get seasick looking at a cup of tea!

Used the seabands ( child size- as I am quite small)

and didn't get sick once.

I find all the pills make me drowsy.

My Mom swears by Sea Bands, they're accupressure bands that you wear like a bracelet a few inches up your arm that provide constant light pressure to the accupressure points in your arms for drug-free relief from motion sickness.

I don't generally get sea-sick or any other type of motion-sick unless I'm reading in the car - ugh... BUT on occassion of feeling crappy I love Ginger Chews by THE GINGER PEOPLE, sold at Target and a great selection online on the website from A-Z (if you get me). They're really tasty, a little of that firey ginger flavor, I love them just to eat!

I support the OP's quest for non-drowsy relief because I find any medicine that CAN make you drowsy with knock me completely OUT! One non-drug thing that I also swear by is just keeping your stomach full! Graze all day by eating small meals - an easy thing to do on a cruise ship! One cruise several years ago when we were racing a Hurricane to our travel route, our cabin steward suggested this and it really worked!

another VOTE for Ginger capsules and Ginger Ale:Dthey say Green Apples too:)

havent tried the apples but will be looking for them next cruise!!

Yes, GREEN APPLE and some DRY CRAKERS...SALTINES OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. Takes a few minutes and it does settle that queasy feeling pretty quickly.

Safe sails.

Although I own an earlier version of the Relief Band I have not yet had to use it. The earlier model was better because you could replace the batteries.

I had only been motion sick once in my life and that was enough. I read all I could find on motion sickness remedies and the Relief Band had great reviews.

On my first cruise I did take a Bonine each evening at bedtime. I never felt sleepy during the daytime. I did get queasy on the ship a few times and on one excursion. Each time I felt the queasiness I took two ginger root capsules. They worked like a charm for me. I swear they are a miracle drug. However, you should not use ginger root unless your doctor approves. It is not good to mix it with certain medications.

I still have my Relief Band and took it on my last cruise in May. I only used Bonine the first few nights. I again used Ginger Root when I got queasy and it always alleviated the queasiness promptly. I keep my Relief Band handy in case the other things don't work. So far, so good.

MercedMike has posted that the Relief Band is what works for his wife. See post #6 on this thread for his comments:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10309715&highlight=relief+band#post10309715

Below are two links for the Relief Band. You can read the reviews to help you decide if it is something for you. They are costly, but I figured it would be worth it if it worked.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Hygiene___WellnessIF679?Args=&refchan=Search

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/7352

I had NEVER been motion sick and had been on numerous trips and cruises...until I took a ferry during a storm to Key West and tried to read a book :rolleyes:.

.what works for you?

Thanks!

Land and standing still;)

Another satisfied Relief Band user here! (I also have a problem with action movies) I've tried all the recommended "cures". Unfortunately, I had an issue of one sort or another with them all.

The Relief Band does the job is easy to use and I never have to worry about what I eat or drink when I use it.

Just reading these posts have made me feel sea sick :eek:. Ginger has worked for me in the past very well. I used Bonine on our last cruise and it worked equally good. Someone told me on a whale watching trip that Bonine dehydrates you so you might need lots of DOD's :p. I don't recall being drowsy with the Bonine. Just last night I watched the episode of Myth Busters some of you have mentioned here is the link to the show.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/e...s_cures_f.html

My husband can get really seasick and nothing has really worked for him other than staying in the cabin laying on the bed. On a TA cruise a few years ago we met a couple who also suffered from seasickness until their MD gave them a RX for a "magic" drug. They offered it to my husband, who was desperate. He tried it and he was instantly better. We have been using it ever since and neither of us have had anymore problems.

The magic solution is a 1% scopolamine you have to take the prescription to a compounding pharmasist who will make it up and put it into plastic syringes. (no needles)

You only use it when you are starting to feel sick then you sqeeze out a drop, put a behind your ears and the queasy feeling is instantly gone. Works like a dream every time. No drowsy hangover.

My husband can get really seasick and nothing has really worked for him other than staying in the cabin laying on the bed. On a TA cruise a few years ago we met a couple who also suffered from seasickness until their MD gave them a RX for a "magic" drug. They offered it to my husband, who was desperate. He tried it and he was instantly better. We have been using it ever since and neither of us have had anymore problems.

The magic solution is a 1% scopolamine you have to take the prescription to a compounding pharmasist who will make it up and put it into plastic syringes. (no needles)

You only use it when you are starting to feel sick then you sqeeze out a drop, put a behind your ears and the queasy feeling is instantly gone. Works like a dream every time. No drowsy hangover.

I have read about this and tried to get my doctor to prescribe it but he would not. :(

That sounds like Motion Ease. We tried it after a poster who said he's an MD recommended it.

You can get a prescription for the transderm scope patches. They use these for cancer patients and they work great for motion sickness. I have cruised for 17 years and I haven't gone once without them. I am very easy to get sick. It is a small round bandaid that goes behind your ear. It is a time release and works for 7 days for me before I have to change it. When you shower, etc. take it off and lay it upright. When everything is dry it will restick. Do NOT use lotion, etc. there or it will fall off. You don't have to get liquid, ask for the patches, you will see many on board with these.

Happy Cruising,

Mary

Of course, different people will react differently to the same drug, but here is a little full disclosure from the manufacturer of Transderm Scop. The bolding was added by me for emphasis:

Important Safety Information

A prescription is needed. Not for children under 18 years old or people who have or have had glaucoma (increased pressure in the eyeball), have difficulty urinating, or an allergy to the active ingredient, scopolamine or other belladonna alkaloids. Most common side effects are dry mouth, drowsiness and blurred vision. When using this product, do not use alcohol, drive, operate dangerous machinery, or do things requiring alertness. If you are elderly, your physician should exercise care in prescribing the Transderm Scōp® patch.

Scopalamine (the drug in the patch) is available in oral form. Read more on internet, very minimally advertised. I informed my Dr. who looked it up, then wrote the prescription. The druggist had to place an order. It is a small white pill, you can take as needed, and as little as needed for relief.

I am petite and other drugs (like the patch) were too large a dose for me. This I take only while sailing and I personally only use 1/2 a pill. No drowsiness so far. This has allowed me to enjoy cruising without awful illness or side effects.

It's worth looking up, if you are still seeking a cure.

I rarely get sick on cruise ships, but almost always do on smaller vessels. So, I just take the less-drowsy formula of Dramamine the morning of the excursion. I have found that even taking the less-drowsy formula still makes me drowsy the next day, even taking it at bedtime.

I don't think there is a non-drowsy formula of medication, only non-medicinal remedies like ginger, herbal formulas or sea bands would be non-drowsy.

I don't think there is a non-drowsy formula of medication.

While that might be true for you, it's certainly not true for everyone, as the multitude of responses in this thread (and many others on this topic over the years) have shown. And, as many have stated, not all options will work for all people so each person just has to try things until they find the right fit.....

You can get a prescription for the transderm scope patches. They use these for cancer patients and they work great for motion sickness. I have cruised for 17 years and I haven't gone once without them. I am very easy to get sick. It is a small round bandaid that goes behind your ear. It is a time release and works for 7 days for me before I have to change it. When you shower, etc. take it off and lay it upright. When everything is dry it will restick. Do NOT use lotion, etc. there or it will fall off. You don't have to get liquid, ask for the patches, you will see many on board with these.

Happy Cruising,

Mary

We did not have a good experience with the patches. Vision problems and feeling lightheaded after wearing it for a day or so. The good thing about using the compound solution in a syringe is that you only use it when you need it. This works great for us but maybe not for others. Good to have so many options.

Hmm, never heard that one. But it's a moot point because OP can't take fruit off the ship for their excursions anyway. :)

I took Bonine once on a cruise - never again. I was out of it for two days. Ugh.

---> OP, I find the Sea Bands wrist bands work great - I even used them while I was pregnant! Awesomeness.

Being Canadian I wonder if you took our Bonnine,,, which is NOT the same as the American version. The active ingredient in our Bonine is NOT Mezicline like the America version , but the same stuff that is in Drammine and Gravol,, which does make most people sleepy.

I buy Bonine once over the border,, and I make sure it does contain Mezcline, not the Diphenwhateveritis stuff.

Archived