First Time River cruiser

cassandra44

We have done a lot of ocean cruising and are thinking of switching to a European river cruise next year. We would like a reasonable length - probably over 2 weeks to make it worthwhile. I;m thinking Budapest - Amsterdam with 3 days pre cruise in Prague.

Don't know anything about river cruising and need recommendations re cruise line and particular ship ( would prefer balcony but not essential).

Any tips would be much appreciated

My in-laws have done 4 river cruises on Uniworld the past couple years - very happy with the boats & the service. No balconies. Once they had the junior suite with the "juliet" balcony - but they actually preferred just a window, because they used the windowsill as an extra shelf:rolleyes: They've done the entire segment from the Black Sea west - didn't really like the eastern european ports -just their opinion. But they loved being on the boat, thought the excursions were generally good. They've been recommending it to us ever since. I personally want to try the Mekong Delta before Europe, that's just me. My in-laws are mid-60s.

We just got back from a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise with Vantage. We recommend them very highly, and have been on 4 trips with them. Our trip story is on our website called "European Cruise"

http://home.mindspring.com/~highlandpark/

Will also be happy to answer any questions. Our e-mail is

highlandpark@mindspring.com

Be prepared to pay 3x the cost of a balcony on an Ocean cruise. If your Ok with that and having the same entertainer for 24 nights playing the same songs on the same keyboard you may enjoy it.

The itinerary is spectacular, the food is excellent. We found the cabins (especially the the bathrooms)a couple notches below what we have come to expect on a cruise ship. Exercise facilities are almost non existent. Over all the boat felt claustrophobic; couldn't wait to get off each morning & tour.

We were on Avalon. Of 150 passengers it appeared only a handful were repeat river cruisers. Happy we did it ONCE, will not repeat.

Archived