liquor prices

Loop

Which Caribbean port has the best liquor prices?

As a general rule the best prices will be found on St Thomas. There is also a huge advantage to buying on St Thomas because the US Customs allowance is 4 liters per person (as opposed to one liter at other places) plus an additional liter if that 5th liter is made in the Virgin Islands. The actual savings can be big if you buy more expensive products. As an example, we have previously bought Remy Martin XO Cognac for as little as $100 per liter (this would be a sale price). That same bottle (if available) would cost about $200 in our state.

Hank

I buy my 12 or 15 yr old scotch at St.Thomas or St. Maarten. Prices are comparable at either stop. As previous poster noted you can buy 4 liters per person at St. Thomas duty free plus local product. (Guavaberry Liqueur?) The 12yr. old has been $16 to $20 per ltr. In GA. $39 to$42, the 15 yr.old $24 to $28. Some of the shops will discount for cash. Buy early enough for them to deliver to ship so you don't have to hand carry aboard. If you are flying home it will have to go in your checked luggage. i drive so I get enough to last a year. Bill

Just remember that when you purchase liquor you cannot take it onto the passenger cabin so it must be checked.

Keith

Great point! And it can get ugly! Last year we came back into Ft Lauderdale and had a boxed package of booze (5 bottles of expensive Cognac) which was supposed to be packaged in a way that was acceptable to the airlines. When we got to the Southwest counter they told us that they no longer accept that type of packaging and we would have to put it inside our luggage. Since our luggage was already pretty full we had to purchase a Southwest bag (it was about $20) just to hold our booze package.

Hank

Archived