Packing light - ugh - reef shoes for fitness?

pacheco18

I am trying to find multiple uses for items to reduce the load - I am not good at packing light.

Has anyone ever used their reef shoes in the gym - on an elliptical eg?

Why are you attempting to pack light?Its your vacation,take what you like!:)

Wouldn't recommend it; likely will not dry out sufficiently between water uses to be dry enough for the gym (as to not create blisters)

With respect to packing light -- unless you're not interested in water activities, you are going to wear a bathing suit most days (with cover for meals); wouldn't bring many different outfits for 'day' use (two bathing suits good idea); you will not need beach towels (receive fresh ones each day) bring twice as much sun block as you think you will need - equater sun is STRONG!

LOL

No longer packing light. I have decided to take too much.

Luck you! My husband insisted we travel for our 10 day with only our 2 allowed carry-ons. One of his was his computer bag so he was no help with carrying a shoe bag or anything. He didn't want to miss our flight from LA to Tahiti trying to collect bags from the first leg of our trip from Denver (we couldn't check them through as the first leg was booked on miles with a different airline). He also has no love for the new checked bag fees, I don't either. Not that the cost is that much in the scheme of things, it is more a matter of principle.

We did manage to make it work. I took two swimming suits, a different outfit for every dinner (pants, skirts, dresses, dressy capris), 3 pair of shorts, a casual shirt per day and a cover up. I paired back the most in the shoe and accessories department and I must say we were no worse for the wear.

I'd recommend you keep a decent sweater with you on the flight from LA to Tahiti. The plane was so truly frigid my entire body ached (we live in Denver and have a place in the mountains mountains mind you). I was under a blanket and my husband and I were also covered up with his suit jacket and we were still very cold. The young woman sitting next to me was wearing, I kid you not, a fur trimmed coat and a blanket. Her boyfriend was wearing a t-shirt, added a hoodie and a blanket and eventually pulled the hood up on his head and cinched it down around his freezing ears. Others on the flight just a few rows away were fine in regular shirt sleeves. I even talked to people on that flight that were "hot". On the return flight to LA, one of those same people that had been so hot on the trip to Tahiti were miserably cold and thought it felt like a meat locker. It varies depending on where you sit. Bring something warm just incase. You don't have to wear it if you win the seat lottery, but you'll be mighty glad you have it if you don't.

Regarding packing light....Do the excursions allow fins at all? I read most excrusions recommend reef/water shoes so not to damage the corals. If so, then I won't be bringing my fins. Thanks in adv!

Luck you! My husband insisted we travel for our 10 day with only our 2 allowed carry-ons. One of his was his computer bag so he was no help with carrying a shoe bag or anything. He didn't want to miss our flight from LA to Tahiti trying to collect bags from the first leg of our trip from Denver (we couldn't check them through as the first leg was booked on miles with a different airline). He also has no love for the new checked bag fees, I don't either. Not that the cost is that much in the scheme of things, it is more a matter of principle.

We did manage to make it work. I took two swimming suits, a different outfit for every dinner (pants, skirts, dresses, dressy capris), 3 pair of shorts, a casual shirt per day and a cover up. I paired back the most in the shoe and accessories department and I must say we were no worse for the wear.

I'd recommend you keep a decent sweater with you on the flight from LA to Tahiti. The plane was so truly frigid my entire body ached (we live in Denver and have a place in the mountains mountains mind you). I was under a blanket and my husband and I were also covered up with his suit jacket and we were still very cold. The young woman sitting next to me was wearing, I kid you not, a fur trimmed coat and a blanket. Her boyfriend was wearing a t-shirt, added a hoodie and a blanket and eventually pulled the hood up on his head and cinched it down around his freezing ears. Others on the flight just a few rows away were fine in regular shirt sleeves. I even talked to people on that flight that were "hot". On the return flight to LA, one of those same people that had been so hot on the trip to Tahiti were miserably cold and thought it felt like a meat locker. It varies depending on where you sit. Bring something warm just incase. You don't have to wear it if you win the seat lottery, but you'll be mighty glad you have it if you don't.

I am always cold on a plane so we dress accordingly.

I am taking way too much - but I don't care anymore. LOLOL

If it fits in the bags, it's going with me. We have 3 rolling duffels for the two of us (one of them has a fold up duffel inside that I intend to fill with purchases). Old habits die very hard.

Regarding packing light....Do the excursions allow fins at all? I read most excrusions recommend reef/water shoes so not to damage the corals. If so, then I won't be bringing my fins. Thanks in adv!

You need both reef/water shoes and fins. You'll be able to check out fins, snorkle and mask free of charge at the watersports marina on the ship. They come in a mesh carrying bag and are yours to use for the entire trip. You will certainly need them for any snorkeling excursions while you are snorkeling, but you may also like to have them for the private Motu Mahana day, the beach in Rangiroa, the Motu in Bora, Bora (or the Matira (sp?) Beach in Bora, Bora should the weather not allow a trip to the Motu that day), Moorea should you want to rent a car or get a ride to a beach for a day you are there. It is also recommended that you take snorkel gear if you go on the Dr. Poole dolphin watch. While it was not a swim with the dolphins encounter, on certain trips there are particular schools of dolphins that will stick around with humans and he has let some folks get in with them.

You will still need reef shoes of some kind for walking to/along the coral beach to your snorkeling spot, walking in the water from the tender to the motu and back, etc. Fins are not really good for walking anywhere and the coral is not pleasant to walk on. I bought a pair of shoes that had a nice rubber sole, rubber toe protection, removeable insoles and were mesh with a buckle and a velco strap. They are pretty sporty and cute, offered good protection from the coral, dry fast, and I could wear them for a walk through town without looking silly. I found I wore them constantly on the trip and I wear them all the time now that I am back home. They are even good for hiking trails on a hot day. Many people had the aqua booties but I prefered have something more dual purpose. You definately need something for the transition periods you are not in the water wearing your fins snorkeling or swimming.

I took my own snorkel equipment!When your spending $5000-$10,000 on a vacation,baggage cost,free onboard equipment etc. do not have great importance.

I much prefer to have equipment that is high quality and fits correctly.I also want to have whatever clothing etc. I want.It is hard for me to believe the poster from Denver took everything they needed as a couple for 10 days in 2 carryons plus 1 personal item each!I don't believe it for a minute!And obviously suffered because of it!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice mustangmonie!

Yes, I will be bringing all my gears...as I always have when I travel to Hawaii and Caribbean. I even have my own life jacket!! LOL! it's crazy but I really love how all my stuff fits and I feel safer cuz I don't even know how to swim. My fins are the Z2 fins so they're actually not bulky at all. But thanks for letting me know they are allow.

I took my own snorkel equipment!When your spending $5000-$10,000 on a vacation,baggage cost,free onboard equipment etc. do not have great importance.
This makes no sense. Just because I've already spent $5000 -10,000, why does it follow that I'm also willing to spend more to check baggage, rent scuba gear, or whatever? Doesn't it make sense to be frugal in small ways so that you can then afford fru-fru drinks or excursions? Or even just to maintain more money in your account at home?
I much prefer to have equipment that is high quality and fits correctly.I also want to have whatever clothing etc. I want.It is hard for me to believe the poster from Denver took everything they needed as a couple for 10 days in 2 carryons plus 1 personal item each!I don't believe it for a minute!And obviously suffered because of it!:rolleyes:
Why is that difficult to believe? Last summer my family did a driving tour of the western national parks: Grand Canyon, Zion, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and several more. We were gone for three weeks, and we needed bulky jeans and hiking boots as well as shorts outfits. We each had one rolling carry-on for the airplane plus a backpack, and we mailed our toiletries to our first-night hotel (to avoid trouble with 3-oz bottles, etc.). Obviously, we washed clothes a couple times during the trip, which wasn't a problem at all.

We just returned from a one-week cruise, and we each had those same rolling carry-ons (plus a beach bag each for this trip). It was plenty.

Packing light is absolutely the best choice. It's less expensive on the plane, it doesn't clutter up your stateroom, and it frees you from the onerous chore of packing on the last night of the cruise. It also allows you to use Express Departure, which saves so much time on the morning of your departure.

Oh TomCruises, you are always the contrarian. My DH and I are the Denver couple, and believe what you will, but we made that trip with one carry on and one personal item each. The June 26 Villagers could all confirm that as we had our 2 hours standing in line together at the airport to compare our baggage. I certainly had my concerns, but there was no suffering involved. Other than my swimming suits and pool cover up, I never wore anything twice. Living in Denver we have no need for our own snorkling gear. The gear they had on the ship was just dandy. They individually fitted us and everything performed properly; one less thing to lug around. :D

Archived