Formal Dinning evenings - Dress code

Thameside

It's a little hard not to hear when they are sitting next to you. Perhaps you have never ate in the dining room and don't understand how close the tables are. Or maybe that was you sitting next to me :D

Again, I didn't care and don't care, just stating an observation :rolleyes:

From you past cruise history I don't think we've sailed together but as close as the tables are, I block out most conversations around me.

From you past cruise history I don't think we've sailed together but as close as the tables are, I block out most conversations around me.
Some people are very hard to block out. Whether it's tone of voice, pitch, or volume, some are just naturally hard to ignore. Just saying.

We have done only two Princess cruises and my husband wore a dj for the formal nights.He would not normally dress in a suit but he really enjoyed the experience.Perhaps we didnt notice whether the jackets were djs or just suits but there seemed to be more people dressed up than not ,maybe they all went to the buffet who just went casual.If everyone is getting more casual it would save a lot of space in our luggage!!!!

How much does it cost to rent a tux? We are on a week long cruise.

On our last cruise, I rented my tux for the duration of the cruise (2 formal nights) at $85, that included 2 shirts.

For the poster who said that ALL Canadians wear suits, you are being far too general. On our roll call for our next cruise, there are 3 Canadians and all 3, including myself will be wearing tuxes. IMHO its not the geography but the age group that seems to sway between suits vs tuxes.

On our last cruise, I rented my tux for the duration of the cruise (2 formal nights) at $85, that included 2 shirts.

For the poster who said that ALL Canadians wear suits, you are being far too general. On our roll call for our next cruise, there are 3 Canadians and all 3, including myself will be wearing tuxes. IMHO its not the geography but the age group that seems to sway between suits vs tuxes.

Thank you for your reply. We are touring before the cruise and have luggage restrictions, so the rental might be the way to go.

If I want to dress up then the other half looks better with a DJ!!

quote]

I have a question about your tux rental. Did you have to arrange for it in advance, or did you do it while on board?

We are on P&O Oceana in September and Sea Princess in March and I will be wearing me Tux for all formal evenings, lets face it cruises are the only places in the world where you can dress correctly for dinner.....:):)

Maybe it's because we had anytime dining and ate about 5:30 or 6:00, but on our Emerald Baltic cruise in July 2009, there were many men in a long sleeved dress shirt and tie with no sports coatin the MDR. Very few had tuxes. Why would anyone care what someone else's husband was wearing? DH has his own tux and wore it on a cruise where we were close to the port and there was no problem with large bags, but on a trip involving changing planes and going abroad, there was no reason to take extra bags. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what others think!

Why would anyone care what someone else's husband was wearing?

The overwhelming majority of people actually on the cruise don't care what anyone else on the ship is wearing to dinner since it has no direct impact on their cruise. The vocal minority does however...

I will be taking my first cruise next month on the Island Princess. There are two formal nights. Is one usually dressier than the other? I will be wearing a dress both nights' date=' however one is more formal than the other. Do people tend to go big the first night then relax a bit, or vice versa?[/quote']

If you're in a dress for both you'll be just fine as the recommended attire is exactly the same for every formal night.

Maybe it's because we had anytime dining and ate about 5:30 or 6:00, but on our Emerald Baltic cruise in July 2009, there were many men in a long sleeved dress shirt and tie with no sports coatin the MDR. Very few had tuxes. Why would anyone care what someone else's husband was wearing? DH has his own tux and wore it on a cruise where we were close to the port and there was no problem with large bags, but on a trip involving changing planes and going abroad, there was no reason to take extra bags. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what others think!

I agree with you, we also don't like to pack formal clothes, and then have to drag it around Europe if we travel after the cruise ends. It's even harder for a women having to bring extra dresses, jewelry, heels, just for two evenings of the cruise.

I wear dark pants and a dressy sweater or jacket, and my husband wears a dark suit or a dark blazer and dark gray pants.

I agree with you, we also don't like to pack formal clothes, and then have to drag it around Europe if we travel after the cruise ends. It's even harder for a women having to bring extra dresses, jewelry, heels, just for two evenings of the cruise.

I wear dark pants and a dressy sweater or jacket, and my husband wears a dark suit or a dark blazer and dark gray pants.

This is a common misconception, that dresses take up more room than pants and tops. They don't. And you've gotta wear shoes and jewelry, no matter whether you're wearing dresses or pants. I mean, I respect your choice but don't make it sound like the easier option is actually harder.

Plus, aren't you eating in nice restaurants on the land portion of your trip? My cocktail dresses don't just come out of the closet for the cruise (makes it sound like they're going to the Friends of Dorothy meeting, doesn't it?!); I wear them out to dinner to fine restaurants on land, too.

This is a common misconception, that dresses take up more room than pants and tops. They don't. And you've gotta wear shoes and jewelry, no matter whether you're wearing dresses or pants. I mean, I respect your choice but don't make it sound like the easier option is actually harder.
I agree. I once met a woman who brought a 25" suitcase JUST for her shoes. While she looked fabulous every night, you don't have to do that. I've found that packing a long, black lightweight jersey dress and a couple of lightweight, dressy shawls takes up a lot less space than pants and tops. I wear my heavy walking shoes on the plane or to the ship, and pack a pair of beige and black sandals. That's it for footwear. The sandals go with both smart casual and formal night dress.

Plus, aren't you eating in nice restaurants on the land portion of your trip? My cocktail dresses don't just come out of the closet for the cruise (makes it sound like they're going to the Friends of Dorothy meeting, doesn't it?!); I wear them out to dinner to fine restaurants on land, too.

I agree, it doesn't take up more room or weight to pack dressier clothes and people may find they enjoy dressing up for the occasion. I rented a tux for a recent med cruise and was very happy I was able to wear formal clothes. My wife and daughters dresses took up no more room than the clothes they wore every other night.

Anther reason for the dressy clothes, we now have great formal portraits that would have cost much more to have done at home - and we probably would not have had done.

Archived