Formal Dinning evenings - Dress code

Thameside

Yet another formal dress question with the usual responses. Personally I don't really care what pax wear as long as it is clean and in good repair. Personally I wear a dress shirt, docker pants and usually a blue blazer that I immediately hang on the back of my chair like so many others. Shoes are my usual leather sandals (no socks please) and of course no noose around my neck (I am a breathing human being). Although on the AK cruise I substituted my hiking boots for the sandals as I was spending another two weeks in AK on a self directed trip. I have been on four different cruise lines and never had a problem. I change back into my regular clothing immediately after dinner.

I do get a lot of laughs about some of the postings on this subject.

No not really casual but a modified version of what is described as formal is sufficient. You might label it as somewhat casual but it still is acceptable by Princess. They're beginning to realize that not everyone enjoys a full formal getup & are becoming much more tolerant of people who still want to eat in the DR & not have go all out to comply to a strict dress code.

And you know this how??

I have seen headwaiters both let people in with casual dress on formal night and also have seen them turn people down?? It all depends on the ship, Captain, Maitre de, itinerary. I don't know how you can say that your modified formal is OK across the board. Could you please explain how you have gained this knowledge?

From an email I just received from Princess on our cruise next month.

When a casual mood calls, you have plenty of choices – even on formal nights. Whether it be one of our specialty restaurants, the 24-hour buffet at the Horizon Court, the pizzeria, burger & hot dog grill, or 24-hour room service, you’re able to choose how you dine with us.

And you know this how??

I have seen headwaiters both let people in with casual dress on formal night and also have seen them turn people down?? It all depends on the ship, Captain, Maitre de, itinerary. I don't know how you can say that your modified formal is OK across the board. Could you please explain how you have gained this knowledge?

By taking many, many trips on lots of different Princess ships. Of course they'll always be the head waiter who runs a tight ship and I have yet to run across him, but when I do I'll be sure to let everyone know of my experience. In the mean time I'll continue to modify the formal dress into an acceptable but yet comfortable casual style which seems to be working.

If the comfortable, casual clothing isn't in the persons makeup then by all means dress as formally as you wish- it's your cruise and you should enjoy your self.

By taking many, many trips on lots of different Princess ships. Of course they'll always be the head waiter who runs a tight ship and I have yet to run across him, but when I do I'll be sure to let everyone know of my experience. In the mean time I'll continue to modify the formal dress into an acceptable but yet comfortable casual style which seems to be working.

If the comfortable, casual clothing isn't in the persons makeup then by all means dress as formally as you wish- it's your cruise and you should enjoy your self.

Good Luck.

Let's see - 18 ships x 2.5 MDR's avg per ship x two seatings each x 365 days per year = astronomical odds!

We love the formal nights. Don't mind if others don't want to dress formal but I think the main dining rooms should be formal wear only. The one thing that does annoy me is when diners at our table don't dress-up but feel as if they should comment on our dress as if we are the ones out of step! Happened a few times on all cruise lines and dominated the conversation for the first 15 mins.

If I didn't want to dress formal I would prefer to eat in the buffet for those couple of evenings. Maybe they should make the late seating formal and the early as normal, the second seating being ticketed and dress code strictly adhered to:D

We love the formal nights. Don't mind if others don't want to dress formal but I think the main dining rooms should be formal wear only. The one thing that does annoy me is when diners at our table don't dress-up but feel as if they should comment on our dress as if we are the ones out of step! Happened a few times on all cruise lines and dominated the conversation for the first 15 mins.

If I didn't want to dress formal I would prefer to eat in the buffet for those couple of evenings. Maybe they should make the late seating formal and the early as normal, the second seating being ticketed and dress code strictly adhered to:D

Amen!!

Where did these stats come from and are thet fleetwide in all MDR's 365??

Stats posted here are almost always random numbers pulled out of the air to support ones' theories. Those times that they're not a random number, they're usually based on a faulty poll or are mis-interpreted to suit the need. There are exceptions, but most of the time a percentage is quoted it's incorrect (just ask those following political polling about the lack of accuracy). Pretty much the only time I put faith in a quoted stat is if someone says something along the lines of "I was on the Emerald last week and it seemed like 75% of the men in the MDR had suits, 20% had tuxes, and 5% were otherwise dressed in the early seating of the traditional dining room". That's a personal observation of a single point-count, a little more easily obtained information (but still having a large margin of error).

Why is it that so many men here persist on not dressing with at least a suit and tie for formal night dining? And they try to convince more people that it is Ok???

And don't give me the extra luggage excuse. Pack a suit instead of a coffeemaker.

Why is it that so many men here persist on not dressing with at least a suit and tie for formal night dining? And they try to convince more people that it is Ok???

And don't give me the extra luggage excuse. Pack a suit instead of a coffeemaker.

Purely for comfort. I personally despise wearing a suit and have only done so four times in my life. The standard for women used to be whalebone (or metal braced) corsets for underneath formalwear and outerwear was detailed and extremely heavy Victorian dresses. Why don't women still wear those to formal occasions?

And, to answer the second part of your question, I really don't worry what other people are wearing. If people wanted to show up to the dining room in swim trunks or a purple leisure suit it wouldn't affect my meal in the slightest. Ambience to me is who I'm dining with (we always get a 2-top), not what someone else is wearing.

Purely for comfort. I personally despise wearing a suit and have only done so four times in my life. The standard for women used to be whalebone (or metal braced) corsets for underneath formalwear and outerwear was detailed and extremely heavy Victorian dresses. Why don't women still wear those to formal occasions?

And, to answer the second part of your question, I really don't worry what other people are wearing. If people wanted to show up to the dining room in swim trunks or a purple leisure suit it wouldn't affect my meal in the slightest. Ambience to me is who I'm dining with (we always get a 2-top), not what someone else is wearing.

Some folks have posted here that it is acceptable to wear Dockers and a long sleeve shirt with sandals on formal nights, which we all know is not 100% acceptable across the fleet. Anyway, if you were invited to a formal event on land, perhaps a white house state dinner which stated "formal" would you interpret it the same as you do the Princess formal definition? And do you think they would let you in dressed like that?

I really believe that people who are not from Florida have a different view of formal dressing. Sure, they are some that love dressing formally but for the most part people I've met form Florida have a relaxed attitude when to comes to formal affairs. It could be that there are a lot of retiree's in Florida & they've dressed there whole life & now want a more relaxed atmosphere.

BTW-We also get a table for two & don't have to put up with the dressy folks. ;);)

FYI - I just googled Florida Formal and all I came up with was tuxedo rental places in Florida, even in Miami!!! I guess they haven't caught up with the trend yet.

I'm sure they do have a few. We had two around me & one recently went under so I guess the other one is safe for a while. :D

More than a few - several pages full.

I still haven't seen anyone answer my previous question. If I wear a tuxedo or suit will the women on the cruise be wearing a whalebone corset and a Victorian dress or is it still acceptable in peoples' view that women can wear a plain pair of slacks and a "sparkly" top and that's considered formal? When women are held to the same standard my viewpoint may change slightly, but right now too many people here consider formal to be only dependant on what the men are wearing.

I've done one cruise this year (Med)...

I took a tuxe with stay-overs in (transfer tricky) Venice and Paris. Luggage space and weight was NO problem (1 medium large bag). A tuxe is a suit so its all the same there space-wise.

I wear a tuxe just because... I dislike suits generally so on ships where its appropriate to wear one, I'd prefer some near goofy pizzazz! I work in Florida in a profession that is suit addicted. I've largely managed to avoid them here... wearing alternatively a black blazer, dark or black pants, etc. (prep school graduation garb!) Hot weather regions everywhere (like Florida) trend away from suits - thank goodness. I have to admit that I consider myself 'cheating' somewhat in my work dress - despite the fact that there are no express dress standards (there are a few... court rooms). There are expressed standards on ships. Less than a suit doesn't conform to them on formal night.

What others wear doesn't bother me. It is a little bit of who they are... a very little bit, an unimportant bit.

I enjoy dressing up and my Tux fits great. I leave it on all night because the fabric is nice, feels good next to my skin and makes me feel good.Funny, I never really found a pair of jeans that fit me as well as my Kahakis or Zanella business slacks.

I enjoy seeing people dressed up, especially some of the women as you don't see this much anymore.Have a really nice Nicole Miller Bow tie and vest. Now I probably should start now trying to tie the bow tie because last time it took me a while.

Comparing corsets to Tuxedos is a bit of a reach, don't you think? Now I WOULD be uncomfortable in one of those get ups.. Women have to do make up so even though they can get by with less formal wear, it probably is more of a hassle for them as it takes longer.

See what you can get by with. I have really never seen anyone turned away.

I wonder if the early trasditional will see more Tux's since this is a longer cruise. I wonder how many Brits are on this trip. Seems like there might be a few.

Archived