Low-Fat Desserts (and meals) for Oasis and other RCI ships?

We are going on a family cruise in September and my father is on a cardiac diet of sorts, meaning he needs to keep it to low fat foods when possible. But, he still likes dessert. I've seen on the dining room menus that there is one low fat dessert each night. But, what other special low fat desserts (not low calorie or sugar free, but low-fat) have you cruisers had which you'd recommend? We could ask the head waiter (once on board) to have the chef create some of these off-the-menu special items for him. Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

The dessert menu lists one "sugar free" (not low fat) item each evening. The fat, calories, and carbohydrate content are not printed on the menu. I don't know if the info is even available.

The menu (all courses) shows a little symbol next to the items which are considered more healthy (they are listed as a "Vitality" choice) but again, none of the nutritional information is listed. I suppose it would be up to your father to make good choices, knowing what he has to stay away from. Obviously, there are higher fat items such as creamed soups, sauces, and entrees. Your waiter will assist him in the selection of menu items. He can have his food prepared and served according to his needs - for example, a plain chicken breast with no added sauce, extra vegetables, a plain baked potato, and a fruit plate for dessert.

Passengers have dietary requests all the time; I have no doubt your father will have lots to choose from. :)

Enjoy Oasis! :)

If he tells the special needs dept., they will give him a list of the next day's menu choices that will be ok for him.

Make sure you call them in advance of your trip. I sailed with a friend who needs a gluten free diet. We called in advance and everything was all set up for her, even the first night. All I can say is the chefs outdid themselves for her. Her meals were amazing. But please don't wait until the last minute to let them know.

Pamela

Tucson, AZ

How do you report it ahead of time? I spoke to the Diamond Plus desk at C&A, and they said they didn't have any way of noting anything for low fat diet. On a previous cruise on Freedom, we had an email address for someone on board (someone in food and beverage) who was able to help. Does anyone have that sort of contact info for Oasis?

I just came off the Oasis 2 weeks ago and found the MDR's Vitality menu a great source of low calorie/ low fat meals. There was always the choice of chicken and salads and fish and low fat or sugar free desserts, and the calorie points were listed on some of them. If you check out my Oasis picture thread listed on on my signature below, I believe I posted a sample Vitality menu toward the end.

Hi there,

The dessert menu lists one "sugar free" (not low fat) item each evening. The fat, calories, and carbohydrate content are not printed on the menu. I don't know if the info is even available.

There is also one Low Fat Dessert listed also each evening.

How do you report it ahead of time? I spoke to the Diamond Plus desk at C&A, and they said they didn't have any way of noting anything for low fat diet. On a previous cruise on Freedom, we had an email address for someone on board (someone in food and beverage) who was able to help. Does anyone have that sort of contact info for Oasis?

You can either email specialneeds@rccl.com and describe your concerns or you can call them at 1-866-592-7225.

However, the most effective way to ensure that you dad gets what he wants is to speak directly with your head waiter the first evening.

Make sure you call them in advance of your trip. I sailed with a friend who needs a gluten free diet. We called in advance and everything was all set up for her, even the first night. All I can say is the chefs outdid themselves for her. Her meals were amazing. But please don't wait until the last minute to let them know.

Pamela

Tucson, AZ

I'm not surprised to hear this. I think the chefs get a little bored fixing the same orchestrated, standardized recipes every week. I think they love the opportunity to be a little more creative and imaginative, and special diets give them the chance to do this.

In addition to the menu items marked as heart healthy, there is an amazing variety of fresh fruits and veggies. Lots of good choices.

I'm not surprised to hear this. I think the chefs get a little bored fixing the same orchestrated, standardized recipes every week. I think they love the opportunity to be a little more creative and imaginative, and special diets give them the chance to do this.

In addition to the menu items marked as heart healthy, there is an amazing variety of fresh fruits and veggies. Lots of good choices.

Please also don't overlook some of the Indian cuisine choices that are listed on the MDR menu. I've really never had much Indian food and was very reluctant to try them. I figured this was the place because if I didn't like the dish, I could always order something I knew I liked. Great way to experience something new. Some of these were amazing and very healthy too.

Pamela

Tucson

Archived