Advice requested on Bon Voyage gifts - cake & banner

2Oregonians

I'm a Princess gal and don't know anything about Carnival's bon voyage gifts.

My mom's birthday will occur while they are on a cruise and I'd like to send her the 6" birthday cake for $7.95 http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=Occasions+Cakes&pid=6B

and the HAPPY BIRTHDAY banner / centerpiece / keychains for $35.00 (click "view larger image" to see the additional items) http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=Special+Occasions&pid=80E

Any thoughts? Have you gotten either of these items? Do you have pictures by any chance??

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Those banners look pretty pricey for $35 to have someone else hang them up (steward)?)

I'd buy one at Pretty Party City and put it up myself but that's just me.

Cakes are pretty but I wouldn't want one when WCMC, Bitter n' Blanc, and Grand Marnier Souffle are on the dessert menu.

Another Oregonian here. :D

It's been a few years since I've seen the decorations, so don't know if they're still the same. I didn't think they were worth $35 though when I saw them.

I always have something awaiting my family when we arrive and have always been pleased with the quality--I've done cookies, beach towels, t-shirts.

Whatever you decide, I'll bet your mother will be thrilled by your thoughtfulness. :)

Another Oregonian here. :D

It's been a few years since I've seen the decorations, so don't know if they're still the same. I didn't think they were worth $35 though when I saw them.

I always have something awaiting my family when we arrive and have always been pleased with the quality--I've done cookies, beach towels, t-shirts.

Whatever you decide, I'll bet your mother will be thrilled by your thoughtfulness. :)

I see you're in Portland. I'm outside Oregon City and have also lived in Tigard.

I agree $35 is a lot for banners, a centerpiece and 2 keychains. My mom is in the first stages of Alzheimer's. Still very functional, but repeats questions a lot and forgets the small stuff. I'm thinking maybe each time she enters the room it will look new to her. LOL. Gotta have humor about it, right?

We ordered the room decorations for my son's birthday on our last cruise. The whole cabin was decorated with streamers/garland from the 4 corners of the room with a hanging centerpiece in the middle, there was a centerpiece on the desk along with the keychains. It looked very nice, and he really liked them (turned 15). I have them ordered for my niece and BF's daughter for our next cruise one turns 16 the other 30, we have 2 cabins. Yes the decorations are more than you would pay for them at a party store, but it was a nice touch for my son, and obviously I was happy enough with them to order two more sets. We also did the birthday cake for him, and have them ordered for the girls as well. I would suggest having the cake delivered at embarkation so as not to compete with the dessert selection, however the surprise for your Mom would be awesome when her waiter brings it out, and they do sing Happy Birthday for her too. :p

We ordered the room decorations for my son's birthday on our last cruise. The whole cabin was decorated with streamers/garland from the 4 corners of the room with a hanging centerpiece in the middle, there was a centerpiece on the desk along with the keychains. It looked very nice, and he really liked them (turned 15). I have them ordered for my niece and BF's daughter for our next cruise one turns 16 the other 30, we have 2 cabins. Yes the decorations are more than you would pay for them at a party store, but it was a nice touch for my son, and obviously I was happy enough with them to order two more sets. We also did the birthday cake for him, and have them ordered for the girls as well. I would suggest having the cake delivered at embarkation so as not to compete with the dessert selection, however the surprise for your Mom would be awesome when her waiter brings it out, and they do sing Happy Birthday for her too. :p

Awesome. Thank you so much!

I surprised DD with the banner for a special occasion & she loved it! She's in her 30's. The banner was adorable & really brightened up the stateroom.

I also ordered the chocolate-dipped strawberries which were wonderful -- haven't tried the cake though.

I definitely thought they were both worth the price for a special occasion. (The strawberries are worth it even if there's no special occasion!)

I say DO IT!!! Check my review of our trip in April. I had arranged fro BV to decorate the cabin in a "bon voyage" theme for Hunny's first cruise. Some may say it's not worth $35, but Hunny really loved the surprise and I have to think it helped with her enjoyment of the cruise. I have a link to pics in the review, and the decorated cabin should be one of the first ones.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1194147&highlight=

i've ordered the decorations a few times and i think you should too. it's been awhile for us but the bon voyage package used to come with the cake. in my opinion if you can get the chocolate cake do so...i thought it was great!

on a side note, i just wanted to mention that at least one time when we've ordered decorations they weren't done prior to the room being occupied. i was told by the room steward that if they don't have time prior to embarkation it is done later.

hope that helps :)

For one of our cruises on my husband's birthday, our son had them decorate our room which was really done well and then had a huge cake waiting for us. Since we were having a sail away party with friends on our balcony, we shared the cake with everyone. It was terrific. We have used other items to be delivered to our cabin or our sons cabins and they have always been worth the money as far as we were concerned. Go for it!

As a fellow Oregonian, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

We bought the "Happy Anniversary" package for my dad and stepmom on our last cruise, and it was very nice. Sure it's more expensive than if you did it yourself, but it was pretty cool to have it all done before they even got to the cabin. It was a nice surprise and definitely had some "wow" factor to it. They left it up for the duration of the cruise and really appreciated the thought.

My dad is also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and he totally got a kick out of the decorations every time they opened the door.

I also had the chocolate covered strawberries sent to their cabin and SHE SAID that the presentation was lovely and that they were tasty. They were gone in very short order, so I can't attest to them personally.

I ordered the cake for my grandson's BD but it was the larger one for $10. It was very good but too big to finish that night at dinner so the waiter packed up the leftovers and we took it back to the cabin. I think the small one is a better choice.

I see you're in Portland. I'm outside Oregon City and have also lived in Tigard.

I agree $35 is a lot for banners, a centerpiece and 2 keychains. My mom is in the first stages of Alzheimer's. Still very functional, but repeats questions a lot and forgets the small stuff. I'm thinking maybe each time she enters the room it will look new to her. LOL. Gotta have humor about it, right?

A few of my father's siblings used to live in Oregon City and my grandmother is buried in the cemetery there so I get over to that side of town on occasion. We're in Hillsboro now, but used to live in the Portland city limits way our on the west side.

Totally understand about the Alzheimer's (have had several aunts, uncles and the grandmother I mentioned who've suffered from it). I'm sorry to hear your Mom has it, but you're right that she may have a surprise each time she returns to the room!

I read through the other posts and so many people are pleased with them, that I'm thinking they must have improved them since I last saw them. I can't imagine what I saw would be get these rave reviews! But, that was, a number of years ago. :)

I also ordered the chocolate-dipped strawberries which were wonderful -- haven't tried the cake though.

just a side note-- the strawberries are a lot cheaper if you get them at the Specialty cafe onboard instead of having them delivered.

just a side note-- the strawberries are a lot cheaper if you get them at the Specialty cafe onboard instead of having them delivered.

They were a surprise gift for my DD, so I wanted to have them delivered. They're great however you get them!

I was born in Salem a LONG time ago!

The chocolate cake rocks!! We order one even if we are not celebrating a birthday or anniversary. I have ordered the anniversary decorations for our room and they really added to the fun of celebrating our anniversary!!

Lived in Oregon 1/2 of my life so I'm 1/2 Oregonian and MISS IT SO MUCH..will be back if I do not choose something warmer in a few years..hopefully..adore PDX area..was in Lake Oswego and Ralleigh Hills..20 plus years as an adult and undergrad in Salem...4 years.

Sorry about your mom's Alzheimer's ( humor helps and you've got it) ..like the decor idea..it is worth it for this situation unless you have an easy way to have someone else do it. Like the chocolate covered strawberry idea..and cake with the singing at dinner too..

I ordered my grandmother little desserts for her card playing group her last years..when I was in Oregon..these honoring the occaision party gifts you do for wherever "yours" are mean so much and are so much more special than things...I'm so glad they can go...Sincerely, Sarah

Lived in Oregon 1/2 of my life so I'm 1/2 Oregonian and MISS IT SO MUCH..will be back if I do not choose something warmer in a few years..hopefully..adore PDX area..was in Lake Oswego and Ralleigh Hills..20 plus years as an adult and undergrad in Salem...4 years.

Sorry about your mom's Alzheimer's ( humor helps and you've got it) ..like the decor idea..it is worth it for this situation unless you have an easy way to have someone else do it. Like the chocolate covered strawberry idea..and cake with the singing at dinner too..

I ordered my grandmother little desserts for her card playing group her last years..when I was in Oregon..these honoring the occaision party gifts you do for wherever "yours" are mean so much and are so much more special than things...I'm so glad they can go...Sincerely, Sarah

Thank you so much Sarah.

The chocolate cake is delicious!!

The decorations (I was given the "Bon Voyage" ones, but they're all similar-looking) are tacky, but not as tacky as the cabins are (at least on the Glory), so made the room look better (not to mention more festive). I was happy to have them! The keychain and pen were nice souvenirs, too. (I also took home the desk decoration as a memory.)

ETA: My cake was delivered to my cabin, not at dinner. I prefer this and it made for a good in-cabin anytime snack that I could also share with friends when they visited my cabin.

The chocolate cake is delicious!!

The decorations (I was given the "Bon Voyage" ones, but they're all similar-looking) are tacky, but not as tacky as the cabins are (at least on the Glory), so made the room look better (not to mention more festive). I was happy to have them! The keychain and pen were nice souvenirs, too. (I also took home the desk decoration as a memory.)

ETA: My cake was delivered to my cabin, not at dinner. I prefer this and it made for a good in-cabin anytime snack that I could also share with friends when they visited my cabin.

The lady said it would be provided at dinner and asked me what night. I said it would be better if it went to the cabin because they don't always go to dinner each night. She said (and I really wonder about this?) that there is a notice sent to the cabin stating that there will be a cake at dinner that night. That way they are sure to go so they can get their cake. Anyone know if that's actually true? She talked me into it because she said that way the waiter will sing happy birthday to her. I agreed, but now I'm thinking I should have pushed for it to be delivered to the room because Mom might be embarrassed. Oh well... lol.

Thanks again for all the great replies. Love Cruise Critic!

Archived