Upscale Cosmetics in St Thomas

Pootimer

I've asked this question a couple of different ways on the Ports of Call boards, but have had no luck getting a response.

Has anyone recently purchased MAC or other upscale cosmetics in St. Thomas? If so, can you tell me if there was much of a difference in prices than U.S. department stores? Thanks for your help!

Just a comment on my experience with perfumes, and I suspect makeup may be the same. I have purchased perfume in shops in a couple of Caribbean ports and have been unhappy with the quality. I suspect that perfume can sit on the shelf for a long time, so it can be off. Not that makeup can be "off". The prices on perfume and makeup are usually just absent the tax amount.

When buying duty free I have had good luck with perfume in the shops on the ship, or at duty free stores in major airports. And some ships do sell MAC in their shops.

Water Baby just reminded me of something. The cosmetics on the ship are quite a bit cheaper than at home. I've purchased LaPrairie and the cost on the ship is wayyyyy below that on land. Origins also is a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the info. I have my MAC shopping list ready, including pricing (per MAC website and Nordstrom). I will probably just look around on ship and see what interests me instead of hoping I can get a big discount at AJ Riise.

Reminds me of my first cruise - I purchased Clinique eye shadow on board ship but ended up not liking the color. I exchanged it at the Clinique counter @ Marshall Field's back home, and they didn't have nearly as nice a case - the eye shadow case there was really cheap looking compared to what I purchased on board ship.

I'll buy Clinique or Lancome onboard a ship, if they have the same stuff I use at home, sometimes they have very little stock.

I thought duty free just meant no taxes, the prices always seem the same to me. I don't buy La Prarie or other truly upscale creams or makeups, about the highest end brand I go is Chanel.

I don't really consider MAC to be a high end makeup, more a mid-range a little better than drug store brands. But then again I don't use it or price it so my knowledge is only from personal experience. They do have some lovely colors, but the eye shadows have been too dry and powdery for me, a lot of it ends up on my cheeks, that doesn't happen with Chanel shadows.

I did buy a fragrance on a cruise once, and haven't found it in any stores since, including Sephora. I do buy the refills online though. It's Violet Angel. Some stores carry Angel, but not Violet Angel.

Fragrances usually turn on me within 30 minutes, and not for the good! The cruise allowed me to try several and wait for the results. It was also fun to go by, spritz one before dinner and let DH give his input as well.

I did buy a fragrance on a cruise once, and haven't found it in any stores since, including Sephora. I do buy the refills online though. It's Violet Angel. Some stores carry Angel, but not Violet Angel.

Fragrances usually turn on me within 30 minutes, and not for the good! The cruise allowed me to try several and wait for the results. It was also fun to go by, spritz one before dinner and let DH give his input as well.

I've not found the Angel Violet in stores, either, but hopefully can come across it onboard ship or in port. It's good to know you can purchase refills online! I used to be able to purchase April Violets by Yardley, but it's not manufactured anymore. Difficult to find ANY violet frangrance (seems to be out of fashion).....

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

I've not found the Angel Violet in stores, either, but hopefully can come across it onboard ship or in port. It's good to know you can purchase refills online! I used to be able to purchase April Violets by Yardley, but it's not manufactured anymore. Difficult to find ANY violet frangrance (seems to be out of fashion).....

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Try Insolence by Guerlain, lots of violet notes.

My fear about buying a perfume in a hot country would be if the product had sat around in a hot area for too long and turned rancid.

I bought a bottle of Paris once and it had happened to that bottle.

All of my Make-up artists across Canada (I cordinate large hair shows) use Mac make-up as they say it is very very good with a lot of pigment and the price point is excellent. I have some of it and love some some not so much. I am still waiting patiently to discover an eyeliner that will stay on till I sandblast it off. I have been using the one from Mac that says it is smudge/water/smearproof but while it is better then alot that I have tried......I am still looking.

Love Chanel foundation, Smashbox and Urban Decay make up.

My favourite mascera ever is Loreal's Extend a Tube mascara....stupid cheap and the best stuff I have ever tried and I used to wear, Christen Dior for years.

Thanks, ladies, for the great tips; I'll take a look around for L'Oreal's Extend-a-Tube, as well as "Insolence".

As a post-menopausal woman, I'm still sweating a lot, so have major problems finding eye liner and mascara that will STAY ON while having melt-downs :(

I use Lancome Le Stylo waterproof eyeliner, after lining my eyes I dip a slanted brush into some eye shadow (usually a brown color) and lightly go over the line. I put my eye makeup on at 7 am and take it off anywhere between 8 and 10 pm (depending on my work day) and the eyeliner is still there.

My eyes water a lot between allergies and wearing contacts, so I'm amazed this lasts so long, other eyeliners last about 3 hours or so. I do wear waterproof mascara on my bottom lashes, as well as a touch of waterproof mascara on the outside top lashes, after a coat of regular mascara on top.

I'll have to try MAC eye shadows again, perhaps they have reformulated from years ago. I've always walked by and admired the beautiful colors. When I tried it in the past, it was so dry and powdery the color just fell off the brush and I couldn't get it onto my eyelids, real frustrating. It did, however, end up all over my face and cheeks (even after tapping the brush to get rid of excess). I've never had that problem with Chanel or Lancome shadows.

Thanks KS I will try the Lancome liner :)

I do line my eyes with powder to set the liner and like you suffer from allergies hence the watery eye.

I think I might over tap my brushes then wipe excess off on my hand (trick I learnt from the Make up artists)

One thing of theirs I LOVE are the eye paints in a tube...they are meant to set your make up but the colours are so pretty and soft that often I wear them alone.

I am loving this thread:D

Thanks KS I will try the Lancome liner :)

I do line my eyes with powder to set the liner and like you suffer from allergies hence the watery eye.

I think I might over tap my brushes then wipe excess off on my hand (trick I learnt from the Make up artists)

One thing of theirs I LOVE are the eye paints in a tube...they are meant to set your make up but the colours are so pretty and soft that often I wear them alone.

I am loving this thread:D

I am lovin' this thread, too! Thanks KS & Quincy. I read on-line that Cargo has a good mascara ("Better-than-Waterproof" ($20). Maybe I'll try it out, but I'm not too hopefull it'l work. Will try the Lancome liner, as well.

Anyone notice if make-up is less expensive on-board ship (despite no tax)??

I am still waiting patiently to discover an eyeliner that will stay on till I sandblast it off. I have been using the one from Mac that says it is smudge/water/smearproof but while it is better then alot that I have tried......I am still looking.

Which Mac eyeliner do you use? I use the one in the pot, apply it with a brush, and it stays on all day. It's called Fluidline ~ just thought you might want to try it if that isnt the one you use.

I am lovin' this thread, too! Thanks KS & Quincy. I read on-line that Cargo has a good mascara ("Better-than-Waterproof" ($20). Maybe I'll try it out, but I'm not too hopefull it'l work. Will try the Lancome liner, as well.

Anyone notice if make-up is less expensive on-board ship (despite no tax)??

I don't buy a whole lot of things onboard, usually just what I may need at the time...if a cruise is coming up I may wait to buy mascara or remover. The things I've purchased onboard a ship are the same price, once a dollar more than what I pay in the store.

Duty free at airports is pretty much the same as stores as well, you really just save the taxes.

Archived