Pacific Coastal

alwayssingin

Has anyone done one lately, with a stop in Astoria? Just wondering if it still takes hours to clear customs and what time we can expect to be off the ship.

I did that trip last year on the Pearl. I don't recall any particular delay related to customs, but another ship got the only dock in town, so we had to anchor/tender. I'm guessing I was ashore by 9:00 - 9:30 AM.

Last year on the Star we did this on the ship at a designated time in the now missing observation lounge. It took only like 10 minutes as they had a large number of agents sitting at tables - this was for US citizens. I don't know what they did for other citizens - it was a different meeting area as I recall.

I do have to say the people from Astoria at the dock handing out information and welcoming us were some of the friendliest I've ever seen anywhere. They had maps and would provide any information you needed.

Has anyone done one lately, with a stop in Astoria? Just wondering if it still takes hours to clear customs and what time we can expect to be off the ship.

Thanks!

I'm interested in this too! We're on the Pearl this September stopping in Astoria. We've rented a car to drive down to Cannon Beach. I did the car reservation for 10 AM. I never checked to see if we dock or tender.

We have never had to go through customs in Astoria -- visited 5 times -- 3 with NCL - 2 with Cruise West, but did enjoy the town and the people. The band (high schoolers, I believe) played as we left the port. They also had a "mini" craft fair going on ... and they did have some lovely items.

OK, I think I get it. :-)

Both the Star and the Pearl depart from Vancouver. But, while the Pearl sails straight to Astoria, the Star stops at Victoria first. So I guess it makes sense that passengers on the Star (including US citizens) would have to clear US customs before getting off at Astoria.

Last year on the Pearl I had to clear US customs before boarding in Vancouver. So there was no additional screening in Astoria (or later on the cruise in SF or LA).

I'm interested in this too! We're on the Pearl this September stopping in Astoria. We've rented a car to drive down to Cannon Beach. I did the car reservation for 10 AM. I never checked to see if we dock or tender.

Last year both the Pearl and Star and a Princess ship were in port in Astoria on the same day so the Star and Princess docked but Pearl tendered (see picture of Pearl as seen from Astoria column).

I looked thru our dailies but no info on immigration so it must have been a separate handout. But we did do the clearance on the ship ahead of time. We had to report as a family - present passports, get a little slip of paper stamped which you have to present to get off ship in Astoria. This took only 10 minutes.

HPIM1338.jpg.d07c0701a3f027cf9da87b7d10bd900d.jpg

Archived